1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fear Of Flying The Real Reason For Harrison’s Decision To Skip White House Trip?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 19, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,457 Messages
    3,282 Likes Received
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2009, 3:40 p.m.

Steelers linebacker James Harrison[IMG] won’t be accompanying his team to the White House for a visit with the President. It’s one of the benefits of winning the Super Bowl. But Harrison’s initial comments on the matter suggested that it would have more meaning to be invited if they hadn’t claimed the NFL’s[IMG] championship.

“This is how I feel – if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers[IMG], invite us when we don’t win the Super Bowl,” Harrison said. “As far as I’m concerned, [Obama] would’ve invited Arizona if they had won.”

Peter King of SI.com called Harrison’s explanation ”quite possibly the most nonsensical quote ever uttered by a professional athlete.” (We still think there’s at least one sentence slightly more nonsensical, especially since all of the words used by Harrison can be found in a dictionary.)

Harrison elaborated on his comments Tuesday, albeit reluctantly.

Let me ask you a question,” Harrison said. “Why is it a big issue now that I’m not going if it wasn’t a big issue the last time?”

He then was reminded that he has a higher profile this time around. (And, moreover, he didn’t provide one of the most nonsensical quotes ever uttered by a pro athlete the last time, either.)

“Hey, James ain’t changed,” he said. “I guess my profile did but I didn’t change. I’m not going because I don’t want to go.

“They’re making a big deal out of this: ‘Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!’”

(And . . . at least eight percent of the audience now thinks that James Harrison is a devil worshiper. Not including all the Ravens fans.)

But here’s the truth, reportedly. According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, a “well-placed source” says that Harrison has a fear of flying, and that he’s a “wreck” whenever he is required to fly on football business.

So why not just say so? If more people who are afraid of flying would acknowledge it to the rest of the world, then maybe some of the rest of us who don’t like to fly (e.g., me) wouldn’t feel like something that gets left on the floor of the hen house when the fox shows up with a napkin tied around his neck and a collection of sporks.

Really, what’s worse? Acknowledging a fear of flying, or making up ridiculous alternative reasons for avoiding a trip that would require a flight on a plane?
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,850 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    Take some xanax and chill out.
  3. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I highly doubt thats the reason...

He has to fly at least 10 times every season anyway.
  4. Hoofbite

31,850 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    Doesn't mean he can't still hate flying. But I agree, thats probably not the reason.

He could just drive if it was. What is it 4-5 hours?
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    So he's an idiot and a wuss :laugh2:
  6. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,802 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Wasn't he at the Pro Bowl ?
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received
    This whole business has taken up way too much time. I think that his agent probably got wind of the story and tried to mitigate the whole situation by creating this story but at the end of the day, does it really matter?

Harrison has shown himself to be a fool and outside of a few hardcore fans, I don't really think that the story is of much interest.

JMO.
  8. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    From Pittsburgh to Washington? It's probably a 2 day drive. Takes me 4.5 hours to get from NYC to DC.
  9. Hoofbite

31,850 Messages
    1,646 Likes Received
    I've never driven it but I don't see how it would take so long.
  10. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Forgot that the trip is kind of in a triangle (so you go west as well as south to go from NYC to DC). So Pitt to DC would be about the same amount of time, I guess-- 4 hours or so.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,994 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    could be why this was in the story:
    But here’s the truth, reportedly. According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, a “well-placed source” says that Harrison has a fear of flying, and that he’s a “wreck” whenever he is required to fly on football business.
  12. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,635 Messages
    168 Likes Received
  13. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,607 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Kornheiser already used that excuse James. There is a one week limit on high profile people related to the NFL using fear of flying as an excuse to save face.
  14. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,995 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    :signmast:
  15. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I bet if a democrat wasn't president nobody would care if Harrison went or not.
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,272 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I don't think people care if he goes or not. It is what he said that got people discussing the matter because he sounded so silly. If he says nothing then this whole story never happens.
  17. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,994 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    this be me.

i don't care if he wants to go, has a fear of flying, or watching grade b movies and his greatest fear is either bees or quicksand.

don't act all tough and sound so stupid like you don't even know how it works and has worked since before he ever touched an NFL uniform. then act like no one should care that he gave the media such a huge score and they should just leave him alone.

just say "i hate flying but i'm going to have my limo take me there" and be done w/it.

silly superstars.
  18. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,457 Messages
    3,282 Likes Received
    James Harrison’s Agent Speaks Out About White House Flap
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2009, 11:12 p.m.

Ross Tucker of SI.com made a great point Tuesday night regarding the decision of Steelers linebacker James Harrison to skip the team’s trip to the White House.

Harrison needs to quit talking about it.

Now.

And that goes for his agent, too.

Bill Parise went on the record today with Calvin Watkins of FanHouse regarding a story that has legs only because Harrison and Parise have surgically attached said appendages.

“That is not an issue,” Parise told Watkins regarding the perception that Harrison’s decision reflects a lack of respect for the President. “This is not political. He just doesn’t want to go. Sometimes we put our values on somebody else and that’s not fair. James is very respectful of the president. Proud of the fact we have a qualified man regardless of his race. . . .

“I would not want to speak for James,” Parise said. “But I know he’s proud of whoever we elected president. No one from the Steelers expected James to go anyway and I’m not aware of him talking to the team about it.”

Fine. Good. Great, actually. But any further discourse by Harrison or his agent or anyone else on Harrison’s behalf serves only to underscore the idiocy of Harrison’s initial “we’re invited only because we won the Super Bowl” comments and the subsequent report that the real reason for the decision not to attend is that Harrison fears flying.

One of Harrison’s former college teammates at Kent State has confirmed for us that Harrison intensely fears flying. The former teammate said that flights were rare for the MAC school, which usually traveled by bus. For one trip that required travel by plane, Harrison and the equipment manager made the trip by car, leaving a day before everyone else.

The former teammate also said that Harrison “about had a heart attack” when one plane on which Harrison was a passenger encountered turbulence.

“We were laughing at him and he threatened to crush us in the palm of his hand,” the former teammate said. “Which he easily could have done.”
  19. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,712 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    All things said, Harrison is one unstable dude.