1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Feb 28 Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by UnoDallas, Feb 28, 2011.

1. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1 Derek Sherrod, OT Mississippi State 6-6 #320 - why not have the flexibility of 2 athletic young bookends that are interchangeable? Sure makes game-day decisions of whittling down 53 to 45 easier, in the case of deciding on back-up OL in the case of injuries.

2 Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina, 6-3 #310 - three years playing for the Tarheels, Austin recorded 103 tackles, nine sacks. mean and nasty lineman

2b – 3a Clint Boling OG Georgia, 6-5 #310 - Football smart, durable and very experienced against top competition. Quick feet and can get to the second level and hit a moving target. Technique and hand placement are good. Hands have some power. Can trap, pull and seal effectively. Decent drive blocker. Light on his feet and extends his arms well in pass protection. Excellent Intangibles.

3 Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina 6-2 #205 - Big, physical strong safety who hits well, and is fairly fluid and agile. Can cover the requisite amount of ground to be a 4-down player, and has been very productive at a high level for one of America's best collegiate defenses. Will make receivers hear footsteps, and will have a shot at being one of the coveted true secondary enforcers in this draft.

[youtube]bqssqzYQzXk[/youtube]

4 Kelvin Sheppard, ISLB, LSU 6-2 #250 - Big, physical ILB. Thick, strong physique and plays a rugged game. Strong at the point and can take on interior lineman and FBs, and displays solid shedding technique. Smart and disciplined, honors his assignments and is rarely out of position. Good instincts and wastes few steps. Good speed and range. Solid in pass drops. Good tackler. Unquestioned leader of a fine defense

[youtube]rprGJ54SPyA[/youtube]

5 Derek Newton OT/OG Arkansas St. 6-5 #310 - Good initial quickness off the snap. Gains depth immediately with an efficient kick-slide. Long arms to reach the defender. Good lateral agility and balance to mirror the defender. Plays on the balls of his feet and with his knees bent. Shows good flexibility and at least moderate core strength to handle the bull rush. Good quickness and agility to block on the move in the running game. Shows a burst upfield and can re-direct. Good trap blocker due to his quickness and arm length. Beats the defender off the snap and can turn and seal the edge. Good recognition. Points out the blitzing defender and makes at least some of the line calls for this offense.

[youtube]a-THnMo2Jss[/youtube]

6 Korey Woods CB Southern Illinois 5-10 # 185 - The athletic Lindsey can shut down an opposing wide receiver or make a big hit on a tight end. He is a two-time selection on the All-Missouri Valley Football Conference First Team, picking off six passes in each of the last two seasons - His quickness, ball skills, change of direction, and fluid hips are among the skills that few corners have making him one of the best in the nation

7 Brian Lainhart SS Kent State 6-1 #210 - Career Lainhart’s 17 career interceptions rank second in school history (two shy of Lou Harris’ record) and are the most among active BCS players Contributed to 20 turnovers in a 30 game span (15 interceptions & five fumbles; also causing two other fumbles that were recovered by the opposition) Totaled 344 career tackles

I want my 5 pick on this team hes my pet this year - he can be back up to Davis and Kozier - and next year replace one of them
  2. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,600 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    Should trade down if Sherrod is the selection imo.

I would take Smith if we go OT route.
  3. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    a TRADE down for every one that can count - there are 8 picks there

how else would we get a extra pick ???????????????
  4. Dash28

7,600 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    I took that as an alternate selection but carry on wise guy. (2b)
  5. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received

not a problem wiser guy I should have stated trade down
  6. Dash28

7,600 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Smooth.
  7. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

4,024 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    I like that Marvin Austin pick. I like that you're building both of our trenches and our secondary in this draft.

Those are obviously our 3 biggest needs.

How far down did we trade back in the first to pick up the other 2nd? Bottom 25?

Marvin Austin is one of the leanest big men I have ever seen. When watching him during the combine he looked big but not 310 lbs big.

The way he was moving I was looking at him for us at DE. Are you sure he's 310?

How about Muhammad Wilkerson in the early second if we absolutely must go OL in the first?
  8. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,623 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    I like it, but not pick 4
  9. AKATheRake

4,024 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Pick 4 or round 4?

Pick 4 is Deunta Williams and if that kid isn't injured he goes much higher. Nice promising player and a good round to select him.

We'd probably get him since we have a high 3rd round pick.
  10. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,623 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Round 4, sorry for the confusion. I love me some D. Williams in the 3-4 round just look at my mock
  11. AKATheRake

4,024 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Just saw your mock. Not bad!

Obviously I'd like Deunta in the 4th, doubt he'll be there though.

I'm one of the guys around here that just doesn't see what everyone else see's in Tyron Smith. I know we need help on the o-line but for the level of pick and what he offers I just can't succumb to it. Lol!

Love that Jimmy Smith pick though. He's a player.

Guess you see OL and our secondary as our most glaring needs.

D-line isn't one?

We have Ratliff and Brent, after that Igor is the only DE signed and that's just for this season.

Wish he got the boot as it is personally.

I think d-line is so strong in this draft and we have to fill ours that we have to take a d-lineman in this draft. Top 2 picks.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    The only pick that I would change , would be Boling to Cannon. Other than that, very good mock.
  13. AKATheRake

4,024 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    I like Cannon too.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I just hope Jerry likes him. He has the ability to play RT or RG . He doesn`t give up sacks, period.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,816 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    eeeew. no offense man, this one's gross!
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Linemen don`t count ?:confused:
  17. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he reminds me of Rat

but think hes gone by the 2nd
  18. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Marvin Austin will not go in the 2nd round....
  19. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,816 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    They count but not Sherrod, not that early!
  20. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    not at 15 or below

15 Maimi
    17 NE

IMO your so wrong

Doug Free played well at ROT last year in Columbo's absence and with the top LOT still on the board,

why not have the flexibility of 2 athletic young bookends that are interchangeable?

Sure makes game-day decisions of whittling down 53 to 45 easier, in the case of deciding on back-up OL in the case of injuries.

This is a case where value equals need and is a fine pick by Dallas.

Ideal height and good bulk with large hands

Quick and agile with above average athleticism

Light on feet. Able to slide and mirror laterally

Good footwork, balance and body control

Technically sound and uses his hands well

Understands positioning and angles

Great pass blocker and can protect the edge

Does a solid job in the run game as a drive blocker

Effective in space and can get to the second level

Smart with excellent instincts and awareness

Mature, hard working and a leader

Is tough and has proven to be durable

Tons of experience versus top competition

The type who does everything well but nothing great --- Possesses both the physical tools and intangibles that you look for in a left tackle prospect --- Not particularly flashy but very consistent and arguably the best all - around blocker in this class