1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Feb I Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by dart, Feb 1, 2013.

1. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    1 Kawann Short, DT, Purdue 6-3 #310

2 Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama 5-10 #220

3 Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International 6 #210

4 Alvin Bailey, OG, Ark 6-5 #315

5 David Bass. DE, Missouri Western State 6-4 #265

6 Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa 6' #190

UDFA'S

QB -Alex Carder, Western Michigan, 6-2 #225

RB - Knile Davis, Ark 6, #226

C - Joe Lund C, Nd St , 6-2 #303

OG - Blaize Foltz, TCU, 6-4 #310

OT - Emmett Cleary, BC. 6-7 #315

DT - Dave Kruger, Utah 6-5 #290

CB - Moe Lee, Utah, 6-1 #191
  2. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    No way I'd take Short at 18. Richardson, Floyd, and Hankins are all better prospects at the same position. Trade back for an extra 3rd and I'm on board.

2nd round is too early for a RB, but I could see it happening if Jerry falls in love with one of them.

I like the rest though.
  3. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,578 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    Switch out Lacy in the 2nd with Warford (I think he'll be there) and I'd like it.

Btw, I just bought a Dodge Dart. :D
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,418 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Put a OG in the 2nd like Dallas Thomas and a RB in the 4th and you have it. Lacy is way over rated IMO. Ran behind an amazing OL that opened truck size holes for him. Stephon Taylor or Jonathon Franklin would be a 2nd round pick behind that line.
  5. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,362 Messages
    586 Likes Received
    No more rbs before Round 4
  6. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,667 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Best available OG/DE/DT in rounds 1-2-3.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,117 Messages
    2,683 Likes Received
    I do like Short, and like someone already said, I'd be okay with him if we trade back a little. I think Floyd and Richardson are better DT's but Short is good too.

I love Lacy, but can't see us going RB in the second. I wouldn't be too upset if we did though if we got Lacy. Great feet for a pretty big guy and tough. Would add toughness to the run game for us.

We're more likey to go OL or S in round 2 if we get a DL in round 1. I still am holding out hope that Elam slips to us in second but I doubt it.

Cyprien would be a terrific choice in the 3rd. Period. He is going to be a good one IMO. However, if the guy tests well at the combine, be prepared for him to go in the second at the latest. He's got a very good all around game IMO.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,127 Messages
    1,096 Likes Received
    Waiting till the 4th for oline help while taking a backup RB on the 2nd is a lethal combo for me.
  9. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I will bet you Callahan is satisftied with the O line

I will bet you we don't go after O line before the fourth

unless its Barrett

back up RB heck he would have started 6 games for last year

Lacy is just to good to pass on but I think some else grabs him

JMO
  10. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,011 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    Not huge on the Lacy pick, but very much like most of the other choices.

Bailey will be an NFL starter at guard. Not sure if he'll be around in the 4th but you never know.
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,578 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    If Lacy is available when we pick in the 2nd, we still won't take him.

Or rather "Jerry" still won't take him.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,974 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    Warford was quoted as saying that he sees himself as a RG only. It's odd for draft prospects to put limits on themselves. Normally, I wouldn't be concerned about Right vs Left, but I'm convinced that Parnell is going to start at RT and they need a Veteran RG next to him.

Do they still make Dodge Darts?

I have Dallas Thomas as the 3rd best OG, especially for the ZBS.

Good point about Lacy running behind that line.

13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,578 Messages
    515 Likes Received
    Well it just so happens we need a RG so I'm ok with what Warford said. :D

They just started making Darts again last year. They aren't like the traditional darts, but still a fun car to drive. I got the one with the 1.4 turbo engine. It's no challenger, but it's fun!
  14. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,781 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I like Short a lot, but I feel we could most likely trade back a bit, get him, and add a pick or two. I have no complaints about Short, as he seems to be quite a disruptive force and would fit Kiffin's system.

In the 2nd, I would take Thomas or Warford instead.

I like Cyprien in the 3rd.

In the 4th, I would like to get DT Brandon Williams if he is available, but I do like me some Alvin Bailey.

In the 5th, I can live with David Bass. I don't really know much about him, but he seems be a solid small school prospect.

In the 6th, Give me OT Terron Armstead.
  15. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    no I think Lacy will get picked earlier
  16. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    you do he seems to me to be heavy footed

For one, Thomas is susceptible to speed rushers, as lacks the sustained foot speed to earn top grades as a pass blocker. He gets an aggressive punch in but often stops moving his feet as he does so and therefore if his punch doesn't stop the pass rush entirely, leaving himself vulnerable to an outside speed rush or quick counter back inside.

Thomas can get himself in trouble by playing too low, on occasion, as well, giving savvy defenders ample opportunity to simply "swim" over the top of him with a quick arm-over move.

Finally, while demonstrating good lateral agility in pass protection, Thomas has a consistent hitch when attempting to pull, making himself much better suited to a power drive-blocking scheme than a zone-blocking attack that asks him to consistently get to and make adjustments to moving targets at the second level
  17. xwalker

12,974 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    The analysis from CBS sports seems to be at odds with itself.

Rang describes his athleticism, quickness, agility and strong punch in the strengths but then comes back and says that he lacks for speed in the weakness category.

I've seen some of the issues that Rang describes such as playing too low or stopping his feet; however, I have not seen anything physically that indicates that he lacks speed or quickness in either pass-blocking or run-blocking.

These technique issues appeared to improve in 2012. This includes snaps that he took at LT and LG. I don't see him as an OT due to limited arm length (32"); however he could play OG and be a game-day backup at OT.

I advocated for the Cowboys to take Marshall Newhouse the year that he got drafted in the 5th round; however, I don't really see the comparison between Newhouse and Thomas.

The full analysis from CBS that you quoted is here:

STRENGTHS: Naturally large man with even weight distribution and the long arms to make the transition back outside to offensive tackle. This isn't the typical rotund blocker who is simply too un-athletic to compete on the outside. Thomas is an impressive athlete who plays with very good initial quickness as well as top flexibility and balance.

Thomas plays with excellent knee bend, giving him the base to handle powerful bull rushers, as well as the spring to easily move left and right to remain square to quicker pass rushers. Thomas has an explosive punch that he uses often to knock defenders back in the running game. He steps up quickly to seal off the reeling defender and erase him from the play.

Thomas exhibits good effort to get to the second level. He proved his mental toughness and team-first approach by agreeing to the position change as a senior. Is physically tough, as well, having started the final 37 consecutive games of his career.

WEAKNESSES: While Thomas has demonstrated some of the traits necessary to move back to offensive tackle and be successful, there are reasons why he was moved inside.

For one, Thomas is susceptible to speed rushers, as lacks the sustained foot speed to earn top grades as a pass blocker. He gets an aggressive punch in but often stops moving his feet as he does so and therefore if his punch doesn't stop the pass rush entirely, leaving himself vulnerable to an outside speed rush or quick counter back inside.

Thomas can get himself in trouble by playing too low, on occasion, as well, giving savvy defenders ample opportunity to simply "swim" over the top of him with a quick arm-over move.

Finally, while demonstrating good lateral agility in pass protection, Thomas has a consistent hitch when attempting to pull, making himself much better suited to a power drive-blocking scheme than a zone-blocking attack that asks him to consistently get to and make adjustments to moving targets at the second level.

COMPARES TO: Marshall Newhouse, OL, Green Bay Packers -- Like Newhouse, Thomas has the size and athleticism to handle a variety of roles up front and is a dependable, hard-working player. He is a bit of a 'tweener, however, whose best assets may in fact be this versatility and toughness.
    --Rob Rang
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695513/dallas-thomas

18. xwalker

12,974 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    Another Scouting Report of Dallas Thomas:

Pass Protection
    Natural knee bender. Quick set and has very good overall balance. Effective mirror-and-slide. Good range and rarely beaten by speed alone.

Run Blocking
    Not dominant but very effective. Fires out quickly and takes good angles. Has good range as a run blocker. Light on feet. Under control in space. Consistently hits moving target. Would fit nicely in a zone-blocking scheme in NFL. Good balance and leverage. Moves feet effectively after initial contact.

Does not consistently drive defenders off the line but has adequate-to-good initial pop when coming forward (better initial pop as run blocker than he does with hand punch in pass pro) and keeps feet moving after initial contact, which allows him to maintain good positioning and sustain run blocks. More than just a position and wall-off type. Brings some toughness to the table.

Awareness
    Knows his assignments. Shows good feet/timing on combo blocks. Awareness versus blitz is adequate-to-good. Keeps eyes up and locates delayed blitzers off the edge and late developing twits/stunts. Does a consistently good job of locating assignment as a second-level run blocker.

Toughness
    Not a mauler but flashes a noticeable mean streak. Delivers punch with purpose. Will stop moving feet once he thinks he's ridden edge rushers out of the play, and it has led to a few unnecessary sacks, hurries and hits on the QB.

The only consensus negative between the scouting reports appears to be that he will stop moving his feet too soon on occasion.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,064 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    I think a lot of those scouting reports that have Thomas as slow/heavy footed are evaluating him as an OT, not an OG. From what I've seen (have a family member who was on Tenn team so I watch them when I can) he would be just fine as a OG. I don't think hes going to be dominant, but I can see him having a successful career in the NFL.