1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Federal judge dismisses Plame suit

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by joseephuss, Jul 19, 2007.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,938 Messages
    1,992 Likes Received
    Just heard that headline. I am sure there will be plenty of news to follow.
  2. adamknite

adamknite Well-Known Member

3,909 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what is that?
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,157 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    I didn't think she would have much of a case. Everyone seemed to know who she was anyway...
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,102 Messages
    6,409 Likes Received
    Like Patrick Fitzgerald who in his court documents said she WAS covert at the time?

I knew she would not win her case because of other reasons.
  5. joseephuss

22,938 Messages
    1,992 Likes Received
    Valerie Plame-Wilson was attempting to sue Cheney.
  6. adamknite

3,909 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    What over? I must be living under a rock.......
  7. BrAinPaiNt

63,102 Messages
    6,409 Likes Received
    Valerie Plame was a CIA agent.

Her husband was an ambassador.

The admin tried to make the connection of Iraq buying yellow cake from Nigeria I think. Bush even said so in a Press Conference or National Address.

Her Husband, Joseph Wilson, said they were making things up and that it was not the case ALONG with other things.

He was proven right about the yellow cake but proven wrong about others.

In order to get back at Wilson someone in the administration (armitage and rove) leaked the Name Valerie Plame who was married to Joseph Wilson and how that situation of the job was questionable.

It went to trial to see who leaked the name but they never brought Rove up on charges. Armitage was either fired or resigned, Ari Fleisher somehow got immunity.

Vice President aid/assistant (not sure of his exact title) Scooter Libby lied about things under oath and was brought up on charges of perjury and obstruction.

So even though he did commit those crimes (perjury and obstruction) he was basically a scape goat because he did not leak the name where Rove and Armitage did.

Bush Commutted Libby's sentence so all he has not is a fine and probation.

So basically a covert CIA agent was out and nobody paid for it.

Plame and or Wilson brought up a suit against them in order to get some justice or money out of it.
  8. adamknite

3,909 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    ohhh, thanks BP.

I remember hearing something about that now. I just normally don't follow that kinda stuff too closely.

Thanks again.
  9. joseephuss

22,938 Messages
    1,992 Likes Received
    Bush said this last Thursday:

"I'm aware of the fact that perhaps somebody in the administration did disclose the name of that person," Bush said. "I've often thought about what would have happened if that person had come forth and said, 'I did it.' Would we have had this endless hours of investigation and a lot of money being spent on this matter? But, so, it's been a tough issue for a lot of people in the White House. It's run its course and now we're going to move on."
  10. trickblue

29,157 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Meaning what?
  11. BrAinPaiNt

63,102 Messages
    6,409 Likes Received
    Yes...didn't that make you made when he said that.

I keep thinking back to the idea of him originally saying that whoever leaked the information would be fired and he may have said something along the lines of getting in trouble with the law but I am not so sure about that last part.

However Arimtage did leave. I think he just moved on but we don't know about if he was really fired and said he could resign.

Still Rove is there.

Each seem equally guilty and each seem to be the ones that everyone says did it...I think Woodward or Novack have basically said it.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

63,102 Messages
    6,409 Likes Received
    That she was covert according to his investigation.

The whole thing about people saying she was not covert at the time is an inaccuracy or a lie by political mouth pieces.

This was also not a situation of Liberal bias in the investigation that the right political mouth pieces would have you believe.

It was not a liberal organization that even requested the investigation. It was the CIA itself. They felt she was covert and wanted an investigation for someone outing a CIA agent.

Originally John Ashcroft was to be the investigator but he had to recluse himself because he had business dealings with Rove in the past.

Fitzgerald was appointed to the prosecutor.

The judge was appointed, to his seat, by Ronald Reagan as well.

So there is no liberal bias like some would lead us to believe.

According to Fitzgeralds court documents he states that at the time of the investigation she indeed was a Covert Agent.

This is from his documents...

Ms. Wilson was a covert CIA employee for whom the CIA was taking affirmative measures to conceal her intelligence relationship to the United States... When traveling overseas, [Plame] always traveled under a cover identity [undercover], sometimes in true name and sometimes in alias -- but always using cover -- whether official or non-official (NOC) -- with no ostensible relationship to the CIA.

So time and time again I hear on political shows from the republican mouth piece that she was not covert or undercover at the time. When that is false according the the republican appointed prosecutor of the case.
  13. trickblue

29,157 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    That's not what I am asking. She may have been OFFICIALLY covert, but many have said that it was well-known who she was already...

I'm not playing politics but rather stating that it's hard to sue for something that is common knowledge with many. Even her own attorney said it wasn't likely they could win.

Now who pays the court costs?
  14. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Actually, the "fact" of her "covertness" was not established until last week--well after Libby's trial and sentencing had concluded. So unimportant was her "covertness" that it had nothing to do with Fitz's investigation. Libby was tried for perjury, not outing a so-called covert agent. Fitz should have abandoned this wild goose chase after interviewing Armitage. But even independent prosecutors are not immune to the spotlight, regardless of who appointed them. When The Wash Post calls you a liar, as they did with Joe Wilson, the game is up.
  15. trickblue

29,157 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    That'll leave a mark...
  16. BrAinPaiNt

63,102 Messages
    6,409 Likes Received
    It was in his documents at the time of the investigation.
    It was later released.

I have also stated that libby was found guilty of perjury and obstruction and said he was NOT guilty of leaking the name.

I ALSO stated in my original post that he, Wilson, was proven WRONG on other things.

Look I think many know that Libby, although guilty of the two charges, was also the scape goat for the whole investigation.

No way they would let "Turd Blossom" go down. They already let armitage walk away and they gave Ari immunity before testifying.

And of course bush comes out recently and all but admits it was someone in his admin.

Truly a shame IMO.

This was ALL done in order to get back at someone that questioned the Administration.

Funny thing was he, Wilson, was right about the yellow cake.

Later it was said that some in the Bush Camp told him not to say that in the address. He did so anyways.

Later that part was stricken out of the official transcripts that they put on their web pages.
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Valerie Plame is a lot of things, but she ain't no victim. If anything her "outing" represents a career upgrade. She and her ertwhile husband will hit the lucrative left-wing lecture circuit, while a Hollywood movie is in the works. That is, if they can find the time inbetween Vanity Fair photo shoots. Wilson fired the first salvo with his defamatory NY Times piece, and reacted with shock that the Bush Admin decided to defend itself. The specious Fitz investigation was little more than the criminalization of politics--which has always been down and dirty. The CIA has been waging a political war against the Bush Admin for the last five years, leaking state secrets like a colander. Perhaps Fitz would like to look into that.
  18. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Not before the leak.
  19. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    They didn't defend themselves...there wasn't anything to defend...they were wrong and Wilson exposed them.

So instead of saying hey...Wilson's wrong and here's the proof to refute his claims...they when on the attack against the only thing they could get him on....exposing his wife.
  20. trickblue

29,157 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Several have said they knew...