1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Final Wulf Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Wulfman, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Hey, folks.

I just finished my full final mock, and I'll post my "Wulf Den: Draft Edition" tomorrow with my full first round laid out, along with some discussion about general draft strategy. In the meantime, I thought I'd post the results for the Cowboys. I tried not to wear my "Cowboy fan" hat as much as possible to pick for teams based on their needs, draft tendencies, etc. As such, there were some picks that really ticked me off, as I had players I wanted the Cowboys to take that went to other teams a few picks ahead of them. But that happens all the time, and I resisted the urge to change the picks to give the Cowboys preference.

What I came out with was a draft that would please me a great deal, for all that it doesn't address all of our needs. I know it won't please others because we all have our pet cats, but that's the nature of the beast.

At any rate, I did the picks without trades, even though I expect a fair number of them. They're just too hard to predict, especially considering we're dealing with a rookie wage scale that likely has thrown the old trade value chart out the window.

So here it is:

First Round, #14 overall: Mark Barron, S, Oklahoma
    Second Round, #45 overall: Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State
    Third Round, #81 overall: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
    Fourth Round, #113 overall: Jonathan Massaquoi, OLB, Troy
    Fourth Round, #135 overall: Philip Blake, C, Baylor
    Fifith Round, #152 overall: James Hanna, TE, Oklahoma
    Sixth Round, #186 overall: Chris Greenwood, CB, Albion
    Seventh Round, #222 overall: Braylon Broughton, DE, TCU
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,096 Messages
    1,294 Likes Received
    I'd pay good money for that draft.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    I dont think the first 3 picks play out that way. Like the bottom though. Least likely Silatalu at 45, long gone by then. Would not draft Broyles before 4th, think DL in 1, DB in 3.
  4. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I know all the rage is talking about Barron not making it to #14, but the way my mock fell, it was very natural. Could easily go down another way, but then it wouldn't be my mock. :D

I've seen some folks talking about Silatolu going at the end of the first, others that he's a late second. In my rankings, and based on what other teams did, the guards as a group slid down the board. Zeitler went a pick or two ahead of him in my mock despite being graded higher.

As for Broyles, after his pro day, if you don't take him before the 4th, you won't get him. St. Louis, Minnesota, Cleveland, and Indianapolis are all at the top of the round, and all of them need at least one WR. No way he makes it past them.
  5. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,442 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    I like it a lot. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Nice job.
  6. poost

poost Active Member

713 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    I would be very happy if the draft fell that way. Good job Wulf. Looking forward to your draft edition tomorrow.
  7. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd take that draft and be very happy about it, Wulf. What an overall team UPLIFT that group of picks would give us. Questions:

1. What are the odds of Barron being there at 14, IYO?

2. Any concerns about the negative scouting reports on Silatolu, or are these relatively fixable knocks against him ... for instance:
    Negatives: Must improve and polish his mechanics. Not a natural knee bender and gets tall blocking.
    Lacks top footwork in pass protection. Shows stiffness in his game.
    Don't get me wrong, I see Silatolu's upside potential and I'd be happy w/ the pick, if Callahan and our scouts think he's our guy in the 2nd.
  8. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,580 Messages
    553 Likes Received

I love it. The safety- guard combination in the first two rounds works well. I think Silatolu is there at 45. I like Broyles and really like Massaquoi and Blake. I know you did your HW on the last few rounds so it's a winner in my eyes.
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I've heard Silatolu might go in the first round to SF according to a few McShay and other mocks. If he is there at 45, that would be great for us.

I like Massquoi as well, I thought he was more of a mid- 5th though. I could be wrong, I am intrigued by him.

Pretty good effort, I'd be thrilled with this.
  10. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,078 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Outstanding mock. If it fell that way, I'd be a happy, happy fan.
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,043 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Wouldn't be my choice, but I'd still salute!

The combination of new rookie wage scale and deep run of decent talent should make this draft an interesting one to watch.
  12. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I think it's far more likely that Barron will be there at #14 than many of the analysts who are running around with their hair on fire at the moment. I'd say 75% chance at least. Two of the teams that they are talking about drafting him ahead of the Cowboys--the Seahawks and Chiefs--already have one elite safety that they used a high first round pick on. That's unusual enough. I don't think either of them uses another. As for Buffalo, they have too many other bigger needs (OT and WR, among others) to take a safety that high, in my opinion. I'm sure he's near the top of their board...but don't think they'll pull the trigger. In fact, I'd have my percent higher if I wasn't concerned that a team like Philly would leapfrog us in a trade-up to get him.

As for Silatolu, those concerns about his stiffness and lack of agility in his footwork are warranted on the film clips I saw. However, he was playing LT where he was having to deal with speed rushers around the edge. Shifting him inside really removes the need for that elite foot agility, and allows him to play to his strengths. Once this guy gets his hands on a defender in the run game, he's done.
  13. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,607 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that mock. I have a feeling that San Francisco is going to snatch Silatolu at the end of the 1st, though. :(
  14. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I've heard that, but I actually have them taking Fleener. I've heard reports that they've gone to Stanford and worked him out in a way that wasn't just passing interest, and remember, that's where Harbaugh was the coach. I think the idea of giving Alex Smith another weapon and pairing Fleener in two-TE sets with Vernon Davis would appeal to Harbaugh a great deal. I imagine the thought makes little yellow puddles around the feet of the coaching staffs in Seattle, Arizona, and St.Louis.
  15. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

What about Denver taking Fleener. Give Peyton Fleener/Tamme since he doesn't have dominant WRs?
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,559 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I like it.

I know it's what you want but looking from the Cowboys perspective, I suspect CBs or DLs that can contribute are higher priorities than a WR. So that 3rd rounder--as much as I like Broyles--would be a surprise.
  17. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    It's certainly a possibility, but in my draft I had Dontari Poe slide to them, and they need a DT badly. The best one they had was Bunkley, and he left in free agency for the Saints. And to be honest, they needed better play inside on the D-line even when Bunkley was there.
  18. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,607 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    Good point. Hard to argue the philosophy with the success the Patriots have had with Gronkowski and Hernandez.

The thought of Davis and Fleener is .....................:eek:. Huge mismatch problems for the entire NFC, particularly the West.
  19. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Really good info ... thanks for the added insight. You've got me pumped and I'll take them both. Check, please. :)
  20. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Even so, there still has to be value at the pick. That's about where I expect Broyles to go, and there wasn't a CB or legitimate 3-4 DL available at that pick that was a good value. The one CB that was on the board was Hayward, and I think he's more of a cover two kind of corner than a press man corner like Ryan likes. They could have gone that way, of course.

And remember, Garrett has to sign off on all personnel moves, and he's an offensive coach at heart.