1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Finally the truth comes out, Eagles/Chip's offense

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by maxdallasfan, Sep 20, 2013.

1. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,930 Messages
    1,984 Likes Received
    It's not like the Eagles didn't gift the Chiefs fumbles in the red-zone and a fumble when the center throws the ball off his own butt after Vick scrambled for like 50 yards. Just as other teams adjust, they'll adapt.
  2. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,129 Messages
    1,159 Likes Received
    I watched Syracuse run this offense last year under Marrone and it worked wonders with a SU squad that was severely out-gunned on offense.

The offense works, but not in the way that Kelly is using it. Marrone has the right idea.

First, it's an offense that helps you run a more conservative traditional scheme. You need to have a pocket passing QB that is good at finding the rush and avoiding it. And you need at least 2 RB's that will split the carries.

The Bills carries have been split likes this:

Spiller: 35 carries
    Jackson: 29 carries
    Manuel: 7 carries

OTOH, the Eagles carries have been split like this:

McCoy: 62 carries
    Vick: 19 carries
    Brown: 15 carries

What Marrone has done is use the offense to make it easier on Manuel, Spiller and Jackson. Now they can run a 2-RB offense but without the downfall of those running backs that tend to 'need to get carries' in order to get warmed up. And for Manuel, the pace of the offense gives the defense less time to make changes and disguise blitzes and coverages.

With Kelly, he's already quickly burning out McCoy. Vick is getting hit way too often because he's running the ball so much and the read option packages make him prone to being hit. And Vick isn't a pocket passer that can avoid the rush.

In the end, I like the fast paced offense, but all it really does is allow the offense to dictate the pace of the game. Which is nice, but it's not the game changer that people thought it was going to be, even with the 'packaged plays.' In fact, it appears all you really have to do is press the WR's and play lots of man-to-man. If you can do that and set up some blitzes quickly enough...the Eagles are going to have trouble handling it.

YR
  3. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Maybe!
  4. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    How exactly did their O "widdle down" against SD? Vick threw for 428 yards and 2 scores and ran for another.

You want the truth? The truth is KC's D is really really good.. as you should have already known after we went against them the previous week.
    OhSnap likes this.
  5. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,816 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    The Eagles have many holes, but their offensive line is not one of them. Peters-Herremans-Kelce-Mathis-Johnson

Honestly the weak leak of that line is Evan Mathis, but other than that they are very stout.
  6. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

2,045 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Yup. KC has a really good defense. That's why I haven't felt like he played horrible on offense or had a bad game plan. The strategy was sound and without the fumble/drop we put up 22-30 points on them in their house. Add to that we played with lousy field position all game - they are hard to put long sustained drives on.

The Rams game will prove to people (those who want to see and not just complain) that we are truly an improved team
  7. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    The KC game looked like the Seattle game last year when all the sudden fans realized they were good and it looked like the SF game the year before when people complained that we barely beat them. KC let Jared Allen go yet still has manged to have a tough defense, they doin somethin right.
    JPM likes this.
  8. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,219 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Who cares how many yards they threw for. They lost. KC embarrassed them, and it's only going to get worse. I'm just happy I don't see any reference to them on ESPN.com now.
  9. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

2,692 Messages
    1,630 Likes Received
    3 games in 11 days to start the season is brutal.
  10. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,219 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    The fact is the Iggles only have two good players on offense, and no defense.

Not sure why everyone thinks they are a threat. Vick always looks good in his first two games. He then goes back to his old ways quickly, and we saw that the other night. He's only good at throwing the deep ball, and since Avant and Cooper can't beat single coverage, Desean will be shut out.

No way McCoy lasts another 3 games.

Can't wait to see them gassed by the 2nd Qtr in Denver next week.

45-17.
  11. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I do.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,541 Messages
    8,486 Likes Received
    That's a ridiculous statement.
  13. John_S

John_S Member

102 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I was just wondering what you meant by that? Do you think that the Eagles have more or less than 2 offensive players? Do you think that they have even a mediocre defense?
    They will get hammered by the Broncos but I THINK that this is a year when they have to put everything together - a new O, a new D, a new head coach - and 3 games in 11 days probably didn't help matters.
    I can make the "argument" that they are tied with Dallas with 1 win each on the division. I know - that and a dollar...
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,541 Messages
    8,486 Likes Received
    The Eagles have much more than two good players.
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,464 Messages
    1,032 Likes Received

Yes. They do.

Unfortunately.
  16. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    sounds about right....I am NOT a betting man, but as I sit here tonight watching the Broncs dissect the Raiders I am wondering WHY on earth I didn't take Denver.....same with next week: they'll flat out destroy Philthy....lol
  17. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,406 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    I said it before 45 player active on game day Vs 85 or more in college.

Just not enough bodies to hold up in a NFL game. The paste will wear them down long before games end.

Just how many SBs did the Bills win running the no huddle?