1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Firefly

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,314 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    So, I've basically been working 7 days a week since Hurricane Sandy trying to keep my company in at least a somewhat functional state.

Well, I've got most of my company functional right now even though everyone is working in places other than our office. (our building is closed and will be for somewhere around a month)

I decided that I was taking Sunday off. (well, still did a few things) I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I woke up early in the morning and flipped on the TV. The Channel was on the Science Channel. (one of my channels of choice) A show was just coming on called Firefly and they were going to run the entire series throughout the day.

I decided to see what it was and watched the first episode. It was kind of an off-beat Sci-Fi Western type show. I figured something like Tera Nova which wasn't all that good, but watched it anyhow.

Anyhow, it took an episode or two, but I actually found the show was actually very good and it just got better as it went on. (Mal starts out a bit difficult, but they cleaned up his character within a few episodes)

Anyhow, the show only has about 25 episodes before it was cancelled, but it has a huge cult following. (it's from 2002-2003) I suppose I never heard of it since I don't watch much TV.

Anyhow, it's on Netflix if you have it. If you like SciFi TV, I think you will like Firefly and I highly recommend it.
  2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Loved the show also watch Serenity it is a great movie and a follow up to the TV series .

I was pissed at Fox when they canceled the series :mad:

In case you did not catch it the writer director and creator of the series is Joss Wheedon the guy that did the Avengers Movie
  3. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    I think most sci-fi fans and many non-sci-fi fans know about Firefly :D It was extremely popular both during its showing and after it was canceled. The movie sequel that came out did really well too. There were only 14 episodes of the TV show though.

#reality
  4. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    good writing, good actors for their parts, frontiers approach, all let to cancellation.

btw didnt josh whedon do buffy the vampire. thats some good talent he has to jump genres like that and be successful in a way.

loved the show, still irked its over, but if u like Fillion like i do check out Castle. ACtually castle did an eposide and had Adam Baldwin in it. Good ep.

Shepard was coming along nicely too. You had to listen to the word play tho someitmes i had to go back and notice why certain things were said.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I watched the series and movies a few weeks ago and thought it was good. I found the word play a little cheesy. If it wasn't for Morena I would have given up on it after a couple of episodes. :D
  6. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Yep, it is one of my all time favorite series.

I'm really surprised you hadn't seen it before now Sam. Have you seen Serenity? If not, after you finish the series watch it also.
  7. Sam I Am

31,314 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    After? They had a marathon of it yesterday. I watched it from like 7am to 10pm yesterday. :laugh2:

Looks like I'm on to Serenity. :D
  8. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,040 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Welcome to the Club!

I had some petty technical issues with Firefly's background, but it was so dang good that I couldn't help but become a huge fan. Great ensemble cast, and great writing.

The show had two pilots: the train robbery was a second pilot, because the Fox execs 'didn't get it'. Also, at least one episode was never aired by the network. It was put on a bad night and the episodes were shown out of order, it was interrupted by baseball, etc.

But when it went to DVD, it was an instant #1 on Amazon.
  9. Sam I Am

31,314 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Watched Serenity last night. I was happy that it cleared up a few details (especially where the Reavers came from) that the series never had a chance to clear up, but the movie definitely wasn't up to par compared to how high the series ended up.

Still, it was entertaining and I'm quite thankful to see more of such a high quality series that died way too young.
  10. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    The movie seemed rushed compared to the TV series, but I am thankful for the movie because as you pointed out, it helped clear up several lingering questions.

#reality
  11. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,832 Messages
    174 Likes Received
    There's also some comic books out there based on the show.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still love the movie the issue was he was compressing year long storyline in two hours
  13. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Great show, glad you enjoyed it but I'm a little surprised you hadn't heard of it until now. It combines three of my favorite genres, sci-fi, western, with the right amount of humor.

BTW, only 14 episodes but it was cancelled after only 11.
  14. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,381 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    I love all the references they have for Firefly on Castle. Last week had a couple right at the beginning, but the best was the season 2 halloween episode where he dresed up as Mal.
  15. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,294 Messages
    150 Likes Received
  16. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    i loved that too, great move by the crew of castle to have fun with it.
  17. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,381 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    [youtube]aFj8eFZx-TA[/youtube]

Just a few examples, and none from this season (or last season?)
  18. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,856 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    You should watch Battlestar Galactica (the new one), it is awesome.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,878 Messages
    4,447 Likes Received
    What happened to that spin off of Galactica?
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,217 Likes Received
    Fox butchered that show. They completely set it up to fail.