1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First defensive concern thursday

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dfense, Nov 21, 2012.

1. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    If I were the Dallas defense, the first concern should be the Washington ground game. Cleveland was able to move the ball on the ground pretty well. If Washington gets 6-8 yards running on 1st down, it's going to be a long day for the D.
  2. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    248 Likes Received

Pretty much always.

Bruce Carter is going to be shadowing RG III alot.
    Probably see some zone/man mix to prevent RG III from taking off running.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree. Skins are the 2nd ranked rushing team in the league where as their passing offense is ranked 22nd. However RGIII is their 2nd leading rusher with over 600 yards on the ground. So while Dallas needs to show some aggression in rushing the passer they have to try and contain RGIII not just pin their ears back
  4. LOBO7

LOBO7 Active Member

332 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I hope they try all day to run.
    My fear is the bomb vs our deep coverage.
  5. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,109 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    Maintaining rush lane integrity will be critical in this game. Everyone must do their job in the front 7. If you crash inside and the outside contain does get to his spot, it will be off to the races. I would expect to see a lot of zone in this game and not very much man. This will help in the run game especially where RGIII is concerned.
  6. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,908 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Wouldn't surprise me if they aired it out on the first play from scrimmage.
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,672 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I pray they do right into double coverage
  8. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,075 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    The primary concern for the defense in every game should be stopping the pass. With a quarterback like Griffin, you might include preventing huge gains on scrambles off passing plays, too. If you focus on stopping the run at the expense of your pass defense, you're only hurting your chances of winning.
  9. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Exactly. Stop the deep ball. Keep Griffin in the pocket.
  10. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    After watching the Cowboys struggle to run the ball helps me to appreciate how important it is to an offense. No doubt about it, the Cowboys have to stop the run if they have any shot of slowing RG3 down.
  11. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,770 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Best Defense is to Somehow get the Dallas offense to control TOP and stay on the field. Defense gets some 3 and outs? And the Dallas offense can sustain drives?

I know, I know. But, if that can be done? And Dallas's defense is on the sideline watching? Along with Griffin watching?

Good things for Dallas, Good things.
  12. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,730 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    The defense will possibly hold this team under 20 points, but the offense probably won't be able to score over 20.
  13. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,704 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Ahh, the Foreskin D and especially their secondary is absolutely awful and I don't see any of their LB's covering Witten. We'll definitely score 20 plus pts on them.
  14. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,730 Messages
    1,943 Likes Received
    I hope so. It's been a while since this offense has moved at a smooth pace the entire game.

The run isn't as important as stopping the pass, and RG3 from running. This is unless the running game completely dominates.
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I expect the CB to be able to stay with the WR however Washington running game is big for them. If they can stay in 2nd and 5 and 3rd and short it helps the passing game. You can't allow them to run the ball down our throat because it will cost us the game. Skins are 22nd in the NFL in passing they use their running game to set up the passes.
  16. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Orakpo and Kerriker and possibly Fletcher are all out.
  17. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Washington is the 2nd best rushing team in the league they did not get there by not rushing the ball very effectively. They are not the Saints or the Packers they do not put the ball up as much. They are 3rd to last in passing attempts. They run the ball and use it to set up their passing.
  18. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,908 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Moss caught a bomb despite double coverage on Sunday. If I was a praying man I would ask for a decent enough pass rush so that the deep ball does not come into play very much.
  19. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    was not much of a double coverage Philly secondary looked pitiful. Hell RGIII was chunking ball up and Philly secondary was never there.
  20. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Kerrigan (our LB) is playing, Carriker (our DE) is out. Kerrigan has certainly not been as effective with both Orakpo and Carriker out, and Fletch can't cover TE's, we may be better off if he sits (as much as I love his heart and what he brings, he's definitely lost a step in coverage)