1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First interception was not Ogletree's fault

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by birdwells1, Jan 1, 2013.

1. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,222 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Look I've been wanting Harris to be our #3 receiver since early in the season but that first pick was not Otrees fault. When I look at the replay, Otree reads the coverage and runs a crossing route Romo gets pressure and he throws the ball about a foot or in front of him. When otree sees this he sticks 1 hand out to try to bring it in but he can't even get a hand on it and the balls intercepted.

After the play Romo is seen explaining to otree that he should've used 2 hands but anyone that has played any sports knows that when a ball is out of reach stretching out 1 hand instead of will give more reach. So on that play he did all he could to bring the pass in but it was just out of his reach.

If the pass had been behind him then I could see Romo saying that otree was suppose to sit down in the zone but that wasn't the case.

In JGs PC yesterday he said that in the first the pass just got away from Tony and sailed on him.

I really didn't like Romos reaction on that int because it seems that he's aware of the cameras and of the perception that after a pick if he's shown talking to his receiver then it's more than likely will be seen as the wrs fault. After that the commentators actually said that otree must have run the wrong route and in this forum he has gotten a lot of blame but on this occasion he doesn't deserve it.
  2. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,802 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    All 3 INT's were on Romo.

I know the Romo lovers will blame the line, or the receivers, or Garrett's play calling, or Jerry, or the Romo haters, or the weather, or the flight with turbulence, or the pre-game meal, or the chaplain, but all 3 are on Romo, nobody else.
  3. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,924 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    JG mentioned in his presser yesterday that the first pick was the result of a throw that sailed.
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I don't like this about Tony. It seems like he's very quick to blame the receivers. As soon as he threw the first INT I thought it was his fault.

It reminds me of crap managers who start blaming everyone except themselves.
  5. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I saw him getting on Otree afterward...I, too thought he ran the correct pattern and the ball was thrown behind him...looked like Otree was running some crossing route or something and Romo threw late. Regardless, they'll probably hang that one on Otree. Not a damn thing that can be said to excuse the other 2 ints though. Romo will have to wear them around his neck in a windsor knot for another year. His December highlight reel will grow a little more I guess (yes, I know he had a few good games in December, but we all know what'll remain).
  6. DavidAK

DavidAK New Member

796 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is one of the few things I dislike about Romo. He's always quick to jump on a WR for running a poor route or doing something wrong. What would we be thinking if a WR screamed at Romo on the sidelines after he threw a poor throw?..It's ok to talk about it. But Romo looks like he's screaming at them like they're little kids.
  7. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received

We did see that...he wore #81. He was promptly cut after repeatedly pointing out deficiencies (or rather Romo's love for Witten) :lmao2: Makes you wonder (and made me when it happened) if TO was really THAT bad of a malcontent on this team. Couldn't question his production, so that was the only ostensible issue.
  8. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,719 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    It has worked well for Romo this year. He found yet another
    way to deflect blame away from himself. He started doing this
    a lot early in the season and had a lot of people thinking
    our WR's ran bad routes and the INT's were never his fault.
    It worked out very well for him... he even had most here
    fooled.
  9. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received

They were. If you had to side with Romo or O Tree on nine out of ten INTs being Romo or tree making the bad decision who would you side with?
    Dez figured it out half way through the season and suddenly he was a catching, TD machine.

Austin has faded since he cashed his check.

Witten broke records with Romo throwing him the ball.

That one during the skins game blame Romo. A ton of the others were because of the Wrs.
  10. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Member

868 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Tom Brady does the same thing. But in this instance I thought OTree screwed it up because Romo made it appear that way.
  11. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Yeah. I watched it again and it was just an awful throw by Romo - forced by pressure. All 3 picks were just stupid decisions and worse throws by Romo.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Incredible that Romo is the only QB in the league who doesn't have a single WR that can run routes.
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,613 Messages
    3,506 Likes Received
    a lot of our fans gobble it up every time romo yells at his receivers and assume "well if he's yelling it must be the receivers fault". in the game thread, there were many quick to blame ogletree. several times this season (even with balls to dez) romo has been seen yelling at his receivers on the field when it was clearly (and sometimes unclear) HIS fault. it's like a defense mechanism now he goes to everytime there is pick ever since he's tried to become this "vocal leader". i doubt it's very endearing to his teammates. aikman pick and chose his spots to chew out his guys, when HE made an error he normally would just jogging solemnly off the field. this whole "grab the shoulder and pout" thing romo is doing is very childish imo.
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Yeah-he really needs to stop doing that. He looks like a whiny child every time he berates a teammate.

People can talk about the picks, the dumb decisions and whatever else, but to me that behaviour is far worse for a team's chemistry.
  15. birdwells1

3,222 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    I agree, the other ones were probably 99% the fault of the wrs, but this one was on him.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,972 Messages
    3,916 Likes Received
    Romo's been bitten a lot this year by WRs running wrong routes and, especially, by them making wrong adjustments in the routes. Anybody who believes otherwise just doesn't understand what's happened on those plays.

That said, none of the picks against WAS looked to be on the WRs to me. The first looked like a poor throw. The second was a poor throw in part because he wasn't able to step into it (it was a really badly thrown ball, regardless), and the third he obviously didn't see the coverage. The drop by fletcher was also behind Witten and would have been an easy pick of a poorly thrown ball had it been caught.

Re: him talking to his WRs after a pick, people need to be careful about leaping to conclusions when they see a camera shot of two players talking. You've got no idea what's being said, so it's pointless to get worked up about it just because you don't like the outcome of a play.
  17. birdwells1

3,222 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    I agree totally with the first part of your post but it really seems after an int Romo's often telling the wr what they did wrong, usually rightfully so. This time, when Romo has his hands up to demonstrate how he should of attempted to catch it, he was assigning blame.To that was obvious.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,972 Messages
    3,916 Likes Received
    I haven't rewatched his reaction on that play, so it may be one where you're able to read more into it than you normally can. Generally, though, people tend to react to that stuff, and they just don't know what's being said. Dez used to get bit by it all the time, when people didn't like him reacting on the sideline after a series or play.

Sometimes, too, your initial reaction is, in a split second, to blame someone else, and then it washes over you almost immediately that it was actually your mistake. I think that's human nature, and not necessarily a failing with any particular player. In general, Tony does a good job of sharing blame or taking blame when there's a mic in his face. I'd just take that for what it's worth and not read much else into it in general.

Though I do understand why fans say it, and I agree that it can look bad if you're just reacting to the QB's reaction shot.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,840 Messages
    1,622 Likes Received
    I agree.
  20. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,719 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Really? Congrats for coming around DFWJC.