1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First Take: Garrett/Norv

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bleu Star, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,645 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Right now, for sure. He and JG are familiar with each other. No reason not to.
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,818 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    Norv is a proven great OC and far better than Garrett, but why would Norv come here and work for JG when he'll have several opportunities to go elsewhere and basically run the offense himself?

As stated many times before, Norv didn't like that Jerry wanted Garrett to call plays in 2007 when he interviewed for the job here. And quite rightly.
  3. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,453 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    I would do it now while Romo still has a fighting chance to turn things around. It's the "shortest path first" theory. The other path consists of developing a new QB which we all know takes some time. Contrary to popular belief, QBs like Luck, RG3, Wilson, & Newton are not a dime a dozen. Colleges are better preparing players to minimize the jump to the next level but it's still a jump.
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yes, the same could be said for Turner. I think JG deserves more time. I know we've gone back and forth before over this but I think we've come to a place where we respect each others opinion which I appreciate. I think you know that I think he deserves more time though. When life throws curveballs at you you don't go get mommy to help. You adapt and get better at it. I don't think he's been given a fair shot to adjust and get better. Being a head coach in the NFL can't be an easy gig.

Would I like to see an OC here, yes. Do I think he can do it on his own? Maybe. I'm willing to give it a little more time to see. I'm not in some giant rush.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    Better than 8-8?

Seriously?

We were 3-5 before the team turned it on with all the guys off the street playing D.

U'r drinking the injury Kool-Aid?

One could prob make the argument that the guys off the street excelled becasue they ahdnt been around the VRCC for very long. Why did they play better?
  6. Mansta54

9,645 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Naw, you don't get it....
  7. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,025 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Thank you for the honest answer. I see no reason to wait if this certain opportunity presents it's self either.

Garrett has had this offense a long time. Maybe a new voice will help.
    We all want what's going to help the team be better, if that's an OC I see no reason to wait, it certainly can't hurt.
  8. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Sorry but no team faces injuries to the exact amount of players and star players every year. We were hit hard this year. Call it a crutch if you want to. I don't though. Two different opinions. No point in arguing about it more.
  9. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    See now I can't even talk to you about this anymore. It's officially useless. If you truly think that we don't do better with all of our starters playing then this conversation was over the second it began.
  10. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,453 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    Great points guys. I also believe that Garrett has promise. I just don't believe he is in a position to dictate terms. So.. I am interested in what you think might be going through Jerry's mind right now. You already know this video made its way back to him.
  11. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    In two years I don't think we will want Romo either way. I personally think we should dump picks and go after Manziel.

There's just no way a brand new coach comes in and brings us to the Super Bowl within two years. That's a dream.
  12. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    Some people are just binary. If you don't hate you drink kool aide. Highly annoying.
  13. Mansta54

9,645 Messages
    140 Likes Received

Not even all of our starters, if we just had Lee and Carter our D would've be damn good. You can bet they wouldn't have given up 200yrds rushing. Its a stupid point to argue.
  14. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,453 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    Something we agree on. Doing my happy dance. ;)
  15. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

11,025 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    I think we have to be in a giant rush because I don't think we will have a QB that won't be getting trained all over again in a few years. Bring some one in on a two or three year contract. It can always be extended.

To me it would only help Garrett become a success.
  16. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    This is hilarious. You see, you just compared your groups opinion with that of Jimmy Johnson. That's relatively similar to us using Belichick in examples of giving Garrett time. Now, I know that's a little abstract but I think you can come away with my point. Something tells me it won't happen though.

lol you have to admit, it is pretty funny that you just compared a fan bases opinion with that of Jimmy Johnson. :laugh2: You guys and your arguments. There's so little consistency.
  17. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,505 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    Somebody gets it, particularly the bolded. Isn't the definition of stupidity trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? So yea Jerruh will sign a FA or two, trot out this buffoon Garrett as HC and OC next year, and we'll all be back (well idk about we, I might get banned for eternity between now and then) here trying to figure out what went wrong when the answer is clear as day.
  18. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Nothing. You don't get to the place he's gotten by caring about what people think. He's a risk taker. He took a risk on JG. I'm sure he will do what he needs to support him, for now. I hope he gives him plenty of time but that's something I have no clue about. No one does except for Jerry.
  19. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,505 Messages
    1,279 Likes Received
    Yea but Oh no was still going to throw 3 interceptions

Wasn't Carter on the field most of the game when RG3 lit up our D on thanksgiving day? I'm not at all saying he was to blame but it highlights a bigger issue with the defense thats not about injuries but sorry *** safeties. I've got a feeling folks who think Church and Matt who is that Johnson will be the saviors are going to be disappointed.
  20. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I really cant stand Stephen A. but he was absolutely correct with what he said, Garrett has done NOTHING as a head coach in 2 years and has done a terrible job with the offense.
    He shouldnt be calling who we bring or not, especially when its to fix one of his mistakes.