1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fisher says Cowboys closing in on playcaller decision

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Jim Harbaugh took his team to the NFC championship game first two year as the HC. He may win the SB on his second season.

Mike Tomlin went to the playoffs first two season as the HC and won the SB on his second year.

John Harabaugh's went 11-5 and went to the AFC championship game his first year. He also went to the playoffs every year his been the HC.

Since you are pointing out meaningless trivia, here is few for you to chew on.

JG may not have a losing season but he doesn't have a winning season either.
    JG and Campo are the only HC in the history of the Cowboys that haven't taken their teams to the playoffs.
  2. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,133 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    Quit make sense with facts. That's not tolerated around here. He's a winner, why? Because we say so. :eek::
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Prop up? I just think a HC should get more than 2 years. If you want to claim he has been with us as an OC during this time then fine he too like Wade gets credit for 2 NFC East title and a playoff win.

As HC in his 1st 2 years he hasn't made it to post season and I think if he fails to this upcoming season he will likely loose his job but throwing name out there when it took them some time as well then not give Garrett time is a bit off base.
  4. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Switzer, Gailey, Parcells, and Wade all took their teams to the playoffs their first year.

Landry took over a expansion team and Johnson took over a team that was on a full rebuild mode.
  5. Doomsday101

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Switzer took over a SB winning team, Gailey still had key part of the SB teams and as far as Wade he benifeted off of Parcells and Garrett was a part of it. Spin it as you wish but you are doing some reaching. I don't give Garrett a free pass he has to earn it and I think most teams will give a HC more than 2 years. If you think it should happen right off the bat then we just disagree.
  6. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    It is you who is doing the spinning. JG took over a team that won a playoff game the year before. If anything he took over a team that had as much talent as what Gailey took over.

Gailey won the Divsion his first year and went to the playoffs both years he was the HC. And he was fired. If anything, JG's production as the HC is closer to Campo then any other Cowboys coaches.

Do you want to talk about what kind of team Campo inherited?
  7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    ESPN Dallas mentions Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell, and Mike Tice as potential offensive play-caller options for the Cowboys.

Jackson is an assistant head coach for the Bengals and was linked as a possible Panthers OC candidate before losing out to Mike Shula, while Caldwell is currently calling plays for the Ravens. Tice was recently let go after coordinating the Bears offense for one season in 2012. In-house candidates are QBs coach Wade Wilson and OL coach/OC Bill Callahan. Jason Garrett has been reluctant to give up his play-calling duties, but Jerry Jones seems intent on finding a solution.

http://www.espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,709 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Mike Tice? Really?

Good god.
  9. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Hue Jackson would be a fantastic hire. Fantastic.
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,609 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Mike Tice?? Good Lord, no. Jackson, Caldwell okay. Not Tice.

Of course, this is from the master speculator Calvin Watkins, so take it with a big grain of salt.
  11. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,009 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Calling whose plays? His own or JG's?
  12. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,525 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett had control of this offense for 6 years, so very few are actually calling to get rid of Jason Garrett the Headcoach (just yet), what they are calling for is rid of Jason the playcaller.
    IMO and I believe the majority of us out there calling for a new playcaller thinks is that if Jason cannot deal with someone else calling the offense, then Jason the headcoach needs fired so that we can get someone else to run the offense.

Jason had 6 years on this offense and he still sucks at calling it. plain and simple: either a new offensive playcaller or a new headcoach - which is it gonna be Jason?
  13. Doomsday101

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Campo was given 5 years. Sorry you hire a coach you give him time if not if all this is, you win right away or your fired then forget finding a quality coach. Shanahan when he took over the skins said either give him 5 years or hire someone else. Most know it takes time but of course fans want everything now. It does not always work that way.

As I said after 3 years if things have not improved then fire Garrett but to hire and not give any HC time that is just plain stupid
  14. fairviewfarmer

fairviewfarmer Member

335 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Campo was here 3 yrs. as HC, not 5.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I take back what I said about anybody being an improvement over Garrett. Oh geez.

I'd love either Jackson or Caldwell though.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,463 Messages
    2,806 Likes Received
    You really think their situations are equivalent to Jason's? There have been other coaches who went to the playoffs in their first few years with a team. Wasn't there this Wade Phillips guy for the Cowboys? Whose players did he win with?

Show me the records of every new coach, their records with that team, their subsequent records, the records of the teams they joined pre and post, yada and let's look at the whole picture. Then you have something.
  17. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    I was just responding to a post to point out to make the same argument you are making on my post.

The post I was responding was listing all the coaches (Bellicheat, Peyton etc.) 2 year records implying that JG can be just like them because those other coaches had bad first two years. To make that kind of comparison is ridiculous.

My point is same as yours. Every situation is different. You can only go by what they have done to date. Like Parcell's used to say. You are what your record says you are..

JG is an average coach at best.
  18. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Was Callahan coach w/ Raiders n they went to Superbowl?
  19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,252 Messages
    1,984 Likes Received
    Gailey went to the playoffs and was fired after 2 seasons.

So what were you saying about 2 seasons not being enough to evaluate?
  20. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones calls firing Gailey after only 2 years, both playoff years at that, was his biggest mistake.