1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fisher says Cowboys closing in on playcaller decision

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Westcoasthabsfan

Westcoasthabsfan Active Member

2,311 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Keep dreamin... Warmack will be long gone by 18.....
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,501 Messages
    9,653 Likes Received
    I'll call you right.
  3. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.........Lions, Cards, Eagles, Jets, Bears,Chargers, Jags,Pitt,Chiefs, etc...and they go throught the SAME exact crap. When you can't block SIMPLE running plays designed to get 3-4 yards and finish 31st in the league in rushing like we did..it makes it awfully hard to effectively call a game. The teams I listed above had a CRAP ton of turnover in their staffs too: no coincedence. As the old saying goes: it ALL starts up front.
  4. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,247 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I disagree. Playcalling is not the sole problem but it IS a contributor. We will not have a perfect OL. We have to adjust to our personnel and our strengths and weaknesses. Jason fails in that area.
  5. popp1234

3,247 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    See original point about weapon. When you are averaging 5-8 yards a pop right down the field and then you run 3 consecutive pass plays on 1st and 2 or 3 to score, or run a pass play on 3rd and inches after you have been running the ball down their throats for most of the drive, you are failing as a playcaller. He outsmarts himself trying to look smart
  6. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

774 Messages
    234 Likes Received

Play calling is a problem. When the defense knows what your running then there is a problem. Callahan is not the answer, because he will basically run Garretts play's.
  7. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,471 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    You are correct sir. Garrett calls the game like we are the 90's Cowboys that could move the ball even if the opponent knew what play you were calling. He does absolutely nothing to try to hide our inefficiencies. If it weren't for Romo bailing him out time after time in the hurry up offense we would have been lucky to win 3-4 games.
  8. Risen Star

22,501 Messages
    9,653 Likes Received
    There is no adjusting to an OL that bad. Garrett has adjusted to that as much as possible over the years. That's why you've seen the delays and draws so extensively. That's why you don't see us attempting to pound the football down in the red zone as much as fans want. He knows he doesn't have the talent to play that way.

Changing play callers does nothing to improve the team and, in fact, could end up hurting it.

It makes the Joe fan feel good though.
  9. cowboyvic

cowboyvic It's Stuck

1,138 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Yea let's keep doing the same thing with Garrett and expect a different result.
  10. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,471 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    You are 100% correct that play calling is a major problem. I just hope that if Callahan is the guy that he gets to implement his offense. Callahan is a West Coast guy and Garrett is more of an Air Coryell guy. Last year Callahan was OC in title only because we ran Garrett's offense. It would make zero sense to make him a real OC and give him play calling duties yet keep implementing Garrett's offense. If it is Callahan that almost has to mean we switch to the West Coast Offense, which Romo should excel at running.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    We ran a whole heck of a lot more draws and delays BEFORE Garrett.
    That was the only way Julius ever gained yards.

We had some very shoddy playcalling versus Washington when we never went to a screen, roll out or draw game versus constant blitzing.

Play calling has been OK. Not great, not terrible but mediocre. Add that with less than solid game mgmt and you get a Coach who could use some time to focus.

Garrett won't lose his offensive say and input but another guy with nothing but play calling and game plan installation to worry about is a bonus.
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,963 Messages
    1,997 Likes Received
    It wont be Garrett
  13. Risen Star

22,501 Messages
    9,653 Likes Received
    I don't want to do the same thing with Garrett. I want him to run his offense with at least a semi-talented offensive line. That would be a welcomed change.
  14. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,555 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    yeah, I think Callahan's offense would better serve our offense
  15. popp1234

3,247 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Well, I am not sure the powers that be are considering changing playcallers to satisfy the "Joe Fan". I would be very dissapointed if that was true. They have access to the film. They evaluate every play and game scenario from last season. The fans are not alone in believing the play calling is part of the problem.
  16. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,433 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    Well, he did bring in Houston Nutt to "talk." :D
  17. Risen Star

22,501 Messages
    9,653 Likes Received
    It could only be a bonus if the head coach wants it. A forced assistant can't ever help him.

To me it's that simple. Do you want to retain Jason Garrett as your head coach? Jerry says yes. So then he and only he should make the decision of how his offense will run this year.
  18. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,433 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    But Garrett's plays are vast. He has draws, screens, tunnel screens, reverses, pitch-outs, fullback dives and even quarterback sneaks in his playbook, but doesn't use them or seem to know when to use them.

There is room for better play-calling in this scheme. It doesn't have to be changed.
  19. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,555 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    http://cdn.*************.net/instances/250x250/31825217.jpg
  20. Risen Star

22,501 Messages
    9,653 Likes Received
    The powers that be with this team are the very definition of Joe Fan.

That's sorta been the problem all these years.