1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fisher says Cowboys closing in on playcaller decision

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Jan 18, 2013.

1. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    One thing about Jerry is that when he wants someone, he goes out and its done. My take would be that he is waiting to take someone from the 4 teams that are left. Its the only reason why they havent brought someone in. If they dont get the person they want, then they may fall back on Callahan. Either that, or they are doing nothing.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,852 Messages
    2,052 Likes Received
    Do the people who say just give Garrett an Oline forget we have 5 years of evidence with him calling the plays?

It's time for a change with the scheme and playcalling or they better do some modifications.
  3. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Just re-read it. It is a good post.

I don't mind the argument that the offense would be better with a better play caller under JG. I just don't see how you get there without hopelessly messing things up. It's certainly possible; I just think it is very unlikely. I see unintended consequences everywhere on this idea.
  4. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Active Member

287 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    I agree about changing the scheme.. But I am perplexed... If its Garret's scheme and Garret is the head coach as well as oc then shouldn't we just cut ties and replace Garrett? I only say this because if it was (insert big name coach here) a as head coach and his scheme was not working (even if he had an oc running it) then wouldn't you just replace that head coach and his assts with a different coach / scheme. I am not a Garrett supporter or hater, I just can't understand why some think that changing the oc would mean a changed scheme? Just my 2 cents
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,348 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I'm not a fan of Garrett as a play caller either. But he's had crap for an OL the entire 5 seasons you refer to

Looks like Callahan will call plays...lets see how that goes
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have OVER 5 years of evidence of sub-par OL-ines, and before Murray arrived, no real starting caliber RBs since E. Smith. So if you think the changes need to be to playcalling and scheme you're fooling yourself. If you're going to point to 5 years - and I say more - worth of evidence then at least recognize it for what it really is.
  7. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...it makes me WONDER what some of you guys are watching during these games. Do you not see Murray constantly getting hit in the backfield? He has to improvise, bounce off tackle and reverse field CONSTANTLY. We were 31st in the league in rushing this year for crying out loud!!!

..Don't even get me going on Romo: guy has ran for his life consistently for the last 5+ years: he's a MAGICIAN and then some not to have gotten killed back there. Then you watch the Pats, SF, Atlanta, Denver, etc... and it's like night and DAY. This just should NOT be a debate but some of you must go to the Hellen Keller school of football fandom:bang2:
  8. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,472 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Why isn't this post it's own thread?
  9. DejectedFan1996

DejectedFan1996 Active Member

715 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    This o-line excuse is starting to get super old. Yes our oline is bad but not nearly as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

And the o-line in 2007, especially in pass protection, was damn near flawless for 14 weeks. Romo had days to throw.
  10. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......my gosh man, it's now 2013....read the posts, and it says FIVE years which is about right. They started going downhill in '08 as Davis,Colombo and Kosier got older. They are gone but it has gotten progressively worse. How ANYONE can defend this line is beyond me. They SUCK...it's like defending Jerry Jones, yet people do that too. Mystifying.
  11. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I second that.
  12. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,812 Messages
    1,086 Likes Received
    I knew Jerry wouldn't be able to take another year of Garrett's brown wrapper play calling. It is equivalent to walking into the grocery store and purchasing that clear bottle with the brown wrapper that says "cola". No one is wowed by that. I will just be glad when all this speculation is over and we can get behind a real play caller on the offensive side of the ball.
  13. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,924 Messages
    593 Likes Received
    To be honest, I'm not sure how you could call 2012 a failure especially with a team trending upwards.

I'll tell you what a failure looks like. It's green and lives and Philadelphia.
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Yes, of course. But this is Planet Jerry, where everything is like those weird mirrors at the circus fun house.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,164 Messages
    5,634 Likes Received
    not making the playoffs with a top 7-8 qb is a failure in today's league.
  16. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Will you still get behind the play caller when it's announced it will be Garrett?
  17. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,626 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    Matt Mosley ‏@mattmosley

RT @MichaelArtus: @mattmosley Any word on who the #Cowboys are looking to bring in to be OC yet? -- they are vetting Landry's assistants.
  18. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,448 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received

Right...or Callahan under the direction of Garrett....

Callahan calls the play in to Romo, but Garrett makes the decision, or consults on it, or makes the game plan.....
  19. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

656 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    It was and we were the second highest scoring offense and second in average yards per play, so nice point proven with a good offensive line we can go 13-3 and throw for 36 touchdowns and rush for 14.
  20. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In line with this reality...he're a clip from one of Vela's recent articles on Cowbys Nation:

Vela: "DeMarco Murray is a capable back and Tony Romo led an offense which averaged 28.4 points per game in Garrett's inaugural year of 2007. It's no coincidence that '07 was the last year the Cowboys had a massive, healthy, relatively youthful offensive line. Today, Tyron Smith is the only starter who could challenge for a spot on the '90s squad."

This reality again underscores the point that Garrett's scheme and how he calls plays are not flawed, but that they are hampered by a sub-par OL as the root of the offense's ill-execution.

The TRUTH is, the scheme and the playcallign don't need fixing; the OL does.

This is all really this simple, and obvious to anyone who cares to objectively see it for what it really is.