1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fisher says Cowboys closing in on playcaller decision

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,181 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    Wrong! When you know that you have a crappy OL, you have to adjust your play calling. That is something that Garrett is incapable of doing. You can not run the same plays you ran in '07 when the OL was above average, that you run with this horrible OL we have now. Garrett should know well enough that this OL is terrible and has to adjust to plays that have a better probability of being "executed."

Furthermore, if it's like some on here insists, that Garrett has full control of the personnel moves, then no one should know better than him how had this OL is, he is the one who selected them!
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...the oline SUCKS, Garrett is not the GM and he doesn't select the players: that's JERRAH. I'm not a Red backer, but our line is brutal and has been for a long time now.
  3. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,459 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    According to who? We weren't even projected to win more than 9 games this season anyway.
  4. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same here, fellas. Garrett has been sputtering since day 1.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,319 Messages
    2,729 Likes Received
    I see the logic in the first paragraph but not the second.

They are trying to upgrade the line but you don't replace that many guys so quickly esp when injuries occur at the rate we did. Add in the problem of having no depth due to poor drafting beforehand as well as problems like Free and voila......you have a poorly functioning OL.
  6. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    Greg Knapp (fired by Oak)
    Mike Tice (fired by CHI)
    Tony Sparano (fired by NYJ)
    Bob Bratkowksi
    Mike Sherman
    Chris Palmer
    Al Saunders
    Greg Olson

These guys are current NFL OC's, or were OC's last season. They're just a few examples of the litany of coaches that would definitely NOT be a step forward.
  7. dfan32

dfan32 Member

259 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Why eliminate the possibility Garrett remains the playcaller?
  8. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,277 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    There is no doubt that the OL needs to be addressed. I have no idea if it will be in a sufficient manner.

However, there are a lot of execution issues that fall on the HC/OC as well. Penalties, general pre-snap confusion, route confusion, etc.

I'm not sure the OL is the only elixir that is going to resolve the offensive issues. I actually the offense has regressed under Garrett and I don't think it is entirely due to the OL.
  9. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,675 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    what ive seen from Garrett these last 5 years is...a bunch stretch runs that almost never work, 5-7 yard drops on most occasions, 3rd and shorts we are running go-routes, also alot of slow developing plays, not to mention a whole lot of confusion before snaps. should i go into game management and clock management?

everyone is so quick to blame the OL all of the time, he isnt helping the cause either.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,613 Messages
    3,505 Likes Received
    according to the owner of the team.
  11. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,714 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    Jg sucks. Its pretty simple.
  12. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,524 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    well you have to if you are a fan, but like the saying goes "you can perfume and paint a pile a crap to be what ever you want, but it is still a pile of crap"
  13. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,524 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    all you have to do is look at the last game of 2012 against the Redskins to see how bad Garrett is at adjusting the game plan to fit atleast have a chance to overcome your weakness.
  14. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,497 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Isn't this thread few days old now? Closing in or shaking the trees to see What falls out?
    All or most of you have more knowledge of the intricacies of developing a team than I do... But one thing is clear, Garrett is great at calling plays in 1994 not in 2013, those that have said He refuses to adjust are correct. All the successful trams, even those with rookie qb' s adjusted their offenses to the strength of their personnel.
    The only game that was done for the Cowboys last year was the first game of the season and they looked the best they did all season. Garrett must have forgotten about that, if he remains the OC I won't be upset at all, my expectations are already low so more failure will be par for the course. Owner that won't change even to the detriment of his team and a coach that feels the same way.
  15. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,270 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    The key word in my response was real.
  16. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,325 Messages
    354 Likes Received

Exactly......keeping Red J as a Offensive Coordinator is just ridiculous after 7 redundant seasons.

You simply cannot take anything away from somebody who never had it in the first place.

Jason Garrett actually has a good scheme....... but his play calling has consistently proven to be waaaaaaay out there and off base by a mile.

B-b-but alas; Jeruuhhh is correct, improvement in 2013 will come with help from a better OC.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Even if Callahan called the plays Garrett as the HC is still going to have major input of what is being called and putting the game plan together. In the meantime if the players do not go out and execute then who is calling the players really does not mean Jack
  18. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, you bring up good points. But, receivers got better as the year went on. See Dez Bryant turning into a legit #1 WR threat by seasons end. ALso see how Harris became the #3 WR by season's end and provided consistency - and hope for the future - at that position. As the year went on those assignment issues among WRs all but disappeared.

The OL was decimated by injuries - on top of its sub par talent - but changes were made there as well. See Parnell splitting reps with Free, making both players play better. And by season's end the pre snap penalties were great reduced.

The FACT is, great progress was made on offense because of the COACHING. Funny how people find it hard to give the coaching credit for these turnarounds in the face of FACTS. and In the end, what did them in was the sub-par OL; that was the constant that NO coach in the NFL could fix.
  19. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

5,913 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    I'll be happy if Garrett retains play calling. I think he needs it as the head coach. I also think he does a pretty good job at it. And I also think if we get the OL problems solved all the gripers will go away.... well, except the ones who just hate Garrett.
  20. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Then it was "key" and "mischaracterized" all in the same sentence.