1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fitness: Knee & ankle support for bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Signals, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,588 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I wanted to get some feedback from all of our bodybuilding and workout enthusiasts here on the Zone. I just signed a contract with World Gym and I am sufficiently motivated to follow through on some fitness goals for the year.

When I was in my early 30's I had a membership with Bally's/Presidents and was fairly consistent with my bodybuilding goals and made some worthwhile progress for about a year, year and a half. However, life happened and I became lax and eventually fizzled out. Even though over the years I had gotten in shape off and on using Pilates and a fitness bike I had at home, I haven't done any serious heavy duty workouts.

I'm getting to my questions? :D

The two area's of concern for me are my knee and ankle. In my 20's I fractured my ankle and it caused some minor issues with workouts but it was bearable. Now that I am in my late 40's and determined to get into shape, but absolutely do not what to have any issues with my ankle or my knee.

My knee has never been injured in any way, but when I did lower body work in my 30's I would from time to time have knee pain of say 2 or 3 on a scale of 10.

Right now I am working on my rehab from my shoulder surgery from Nov. 2012, and that will take 6 to 12 months, so I will be doing lower body and core work, (anything that doesn't require shoulders for about 4 to 6 months.)

Having said all that I am going to do everything I can to head off any potential issues right from the start.

I know there a lot of bodybuilders/fitness enthusiasts here and wanted to get some feedback on the best types of knee and ankle supports for working out. When I was looking at all the different types and variations for support I decided I definitely wanted to get some opinions on the different kinds and results from you all.

So tell me about your experiences with knee and ankle support before I go burn money on stuff that isn't worth a crap.

P.S. for the few of you that knew about the shoulder surgery, the rehab is going fairly well, slow, but it's going pretty much as expected.
  2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I started working out again this year I am in my early 40's what i made sure to do is not to use all the heavy weights start of low weight and do reps.

Way to easy to pull muscles as you get older I am working out between 4-6 days a week depending on week and stayed pretty much injury free.

Listen to your body is my other suggestion by all means push yourself but make sure not to do it to quick or to much at once. I started off two days a week went to three and ramped up as my body felt stronger.
  3. Signals

4,588 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Yeah, I was definitely cognizant of the fact that I need to go easy on myself in the beginning, ensuring that joints, tendons, ligaments and muscle groups are sufficiently warmed up and strengthened enough to handle the load. I know for curtain I will spend several weeks doing more sets and reps with lower weight as opposed to getting impatient with the process, I'm just not in that big of a hurry. Besides, incurring an injury early and and having to lay off for healing would take more time than just being smart to start with.

:thumbup:

Yep, listening to the body is certainly a well learned lesson from my weight lifting days in my 30's.

Is there anyone else here in their 40's, 50's and 60's with any fitness, weight lifting and workout wisdom they would like to share? I am all ears. :starspin
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,763 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    I don't know much about the ankle stuff. I'd imagine about all you can do is brace it.

Same with a knee. You can buy those knee wraps and they are actually supposed to help with your form on squatting.

I hurt my knee a few months back though so i'm probably not the guy to listen to. I finally scheduled an appointment today because I thought it may be tendonitis.

I get random pain around my knee and the back of my knee and calf muscle gets tight.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,534 Messages
    8,480 Likes Received
    Stretching and warming up is key. So is rest. If you rely on braces or wraps you are under developing those joint muscles and making yourself more prone to injury.

My advice is to take it slowly with good form and a moderate amount of weight. Do not try to compete with those around you.
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    I am 40 and do full body workouts 3 times a week, heavy weights.

Use proper form and do not try and compete with 20 year olds.

If you have an injury or a pulled muscle, let it heal until its pain free movement before you try to lift again.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep and protein.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    On the ankle some places have a device where you put a weight on it and you put your foot in and lift it helped my ankle a lot.
  8. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've been lifting over 15 years, not to gain mass but simply to look good. Through years of lifitng, I created plenty of issues, including shoulder issues, frequently strained neck muscles, poor movement in athletic sports, and because of trying to correct these issue I had to sift through plenty of bogus information on the internet\. I finally pretty much corrected it when I came across a free web-site by Dr. Jolie Bookspan, whose specialty is sports physiology as well as how the body reacts in extreme conditions.

http://www.drbookspan.com/clinical.html

I recommend her site to any and everybody. It is common sense, avoids bogus information, simplifies why certain exercises don't work and so forth. She talks about correcting Neck Pain, shoulder pain, lower back pain, ankle pain, knee pain... The concept is essentially clear, i.e. most pain issues is primarily caused by postural issues and not an issue about 'strength'. Bad exercise form, i.e postural issues, can excarebate issues. Which is precisely why you see plenty of weightlifters with forward shoulder and neck pain, fall prey to rotator cuff issues, have knee problems, and the like.

I'd read that page I just provided.. If you have any specific questions about some of the concepts, you can ask them here and I can answer them to the best of my ability.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,240 Messages
    1,573 Likes Received
    Don't waste your time getting an appointment if its tendonitis, all you can do is rest and ice it pretty much.

If you are having calf problems with it though, could be a strained or torn tendon, which is causing other parts of your body to compensate for your knee. That is what you should watch out for.

As for ankle support...I wear ASO ankle braces every time I play bball, lacrosse, football, or soccer. Super supportive and even though I've tweaked my ankle before, I've never actually sprained it wearing them. They aren't cheap, but if rolling an ankle is the problem, I'd definitely recommend them.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,763 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    Some days it feels fine and some days it hurts. When it first started bothering me I had to drag my leg around for a few days. It also felt like my knee had a loose feeling. Like I was on ice or something.

The most consistent pain I get is on the inner part of my knee and the rest of the pain is just kind of randomly all around it.

It's been going on since October so I decided its time to go to the Doc.

Another weird thing is I took off from doing leg lifts for about a month. Then I went back to doing them and it actually feels better for a day or 2 after I lift.
  11. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Muscle pain or ligament pain? Do you let your knees sway inward when doing squats?
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,240 Messages
    1,573 Likes Received
    Might be a problem with swelling, which is why using it would make it feel better...that could be tendinitis, or it could be swelling b/c there is actual damage.

Did you notice you hurt it, or did it simply start hurting?
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,763 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    This may sound dumb but I can't indentify if it's muscle, ligament, or both.

It hurts where my ligaments are and it hurts in the calf muscle too. The pain sometimes shoots out to random areas around my knee. It's not extremely painful or anything. Just feels like something is wrong with the knee.

Also the knee will pop sometimes.

I point my feet out a little when I squat and I go lower than parallel.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,763 Messages
    1,964 Likes Received
    Well at first I thought my legs were just sore from the workout. Then a day or 2 later I figured out that I had done something either on the leg press, squat machine, or elliptical.

I've been wearing a jumpers knee brace because at first it made my knee feel more stable.

Just sitting in my chair I have a random pain that went to the top of my quad, went away, and went into the back of my hamstring. It's really random where the pain will be.

It's nothing unbearable though.
  15. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So do you play in an oldman league for lacrosse. I played in a couple here in Houston back in the day hard for me to play anymore with all the kid stuff. I play the Alumni game in October where i went to college.
  16. Signals

4,588 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Hey Rick, this is some great stuff. I just spent about 45 minutes going through the knee section and found some useful information.

Back in my 30's when I was doing leg work, I had this sneaking suspicion that my knee pain was coming from minor improper use of the leg machines as well as improper positioning of my legs, knees and feet why sitting on these machines. While the machine always have these pictures showing how to use them, some of the finer points of posture are nonexistent.

Another thing that I noticed when I used to run on a treadmill is that when I got closer to the end of the workout and I was tired, my running gait became sloppy and may be a partial reason for issues with my ankle.

There is definitely some info here that can get me on the right track. Thank you.
  17. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received

http://www.drbookspan.com/KneePainArticle.html

The knee popping is most probably a tendon moving across a bone...
  18. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received

No problem... Like I said, I found her stuff and haven't looked back since.

I was suffering from shoulder and neck issues.. I also use to strain my neck very easily, and couldn't understand why and, because of the concepts outlined on her web-page, I realized it was because of the forward shoulders and elongated neck muscles as a result of bent-over posture, from work all day. Lifting with the poor posture exacerbated my problems, through things such as pushing the humerus into my shoulder bones and probably wearing down the bursa. I didn't get it originally, why I was having pain, because per what is fed by everybody, "increasing strength and working out' should correct issues, instead of causing them. The pectoral and tarpezius stretch worked wonders. I've still in the process of rectifying it all, and am probably 95 percent there. I don't strain my neck playing sports anymore, have really good range of motion and improve everyday in sports functionally.

I also use to suffer as well from lower back pain, which I couldn't figure out why, which is what actually initiated my pursuit of fixing my pain. I use to dead-lift all the time and my strength was really good. She pretty much nailed my problems dead on, bent over posture pressuring disks had taken their toll, as well as poor hip posture as a result of bad sitting at work. This also led to extremely tight hips, which I've pretty much rectified by the stretches that are done via 'tucking the hip'. I modified the dead lift based upon what she stated, and have essentially negated the issue of pushing the disks together and lifting while leaning over.

I'd actually suggest buying her book, "How to fix your pain without drugs or surgery" because they elaborate in a little more detail certain issues and their fixes. Her other books, though they emphasize other aspects, cover a lot of repetitive stuff. If your deeply interested you could by them, but there really is no need. I felt obligated to buy her books, pretty much because of her web-site essentially clearing up my main issues. Once you get the main concepts down, which is pretty easy because of her simplicity of writing and style, you'll never look back.

The fact that she put this free stuff out there is a testimony to her character and integrity. The page in and of itself saves people years of just bad chiropracters and doctors not being able to fix issues and plenty of money just wasted down the drain. She was paralyzed twice as an aside, because of accidents, and worked her way back to full usage and prior to Christopher Reeves dying, she was working with him. She has pictures with her and Reeves on the web-site. I like to work with her personally one day at one of her workshops, just to get the experience.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,240 Messages
    1,573 Likes Received
    Well, the last three years I've played at the club level at college. Around where I am though, upstate NY, there are lots of different leagues.

I've played in a box league that has a good mix of old and young guys, a competitive box pickup league, and last summer I played in a real competitive outdoor league that has a lot of d1 guys and even a handful that played pro.

Now that I'm out of school it's hard to play as much, I'm not quite good enough to play on some of the competitive travel teams, and I won't be 30 for a while yet, so it's tough to find a good place to play consistently. It will probably be box leagues more often than not, but I like the outdoor game a lot more.
  20. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You will find it funny I learned Lacrosse at Sam Houston State University yes in Texas of all places. It is a growing sport down here and is starting to be played in the Highschools. I also got to run with a club team in Virginia for a few months when i was stationed at Fort Eustis.

I played in the men club level after college for awhile then eventually kids took over. Funny is how much talent we have in the club leagues in Texas from all the transplants I played against a guy that played in the Pro box Lacrosse for a couple years. Played against a guy who was a three year starter on Dline at Princeton, tons of Division I, II and III Lacrosse players filtered in on the teams. Most the teams are in Houston, Dallas or Austin.