1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Five Cowboys who failed to meet expectations: No. 1

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,301 Messages
    4,659 Likes Received
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/five-cowboys-who-failed-to-meet-expectations-no-1.html/

After the Cowboys failed to make the playoffs for the third consecutive season, management has spent time evaluating the roster. They’ll instantly recognize players who surpassed expectations and others who didn’t meet them. We’ll examine the top five players in both categories:

No. 1: Doug Free, Right Tackle

Doug Free is the most well-compensated player on the Cowboys’ offensive line. Right now, an argument can be made that he is its worst performer. Moved from the left to the right bookend before the season when Tyron Smith was tasked with protecting quarterback Tony Romo’s blindside, the sixth-year tackle was given an easier job.

Yet he failed miserably. The Cowboys rushing attack, which was atrocious, gained almost a yard more running to the left side than it did to the right. But Free performed even worse in pass protection. He conceded seven sacks – the most on the team. He was also tied for the most penalties in the NFL.

Free’s play was so bad that the Cowboys were forced to act. In the final four games they made Free give up some of his snaps to Jermey Parnell, an undrafted player who was seen as a project.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    I know I'm not alone when I say I still can't believe how horrible he played last year.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I'm on the phone. Is it just Free in the article with others to come or are there more players listed?

I only see Free
  4. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,152 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Doug Free stole his money in 2013...
  5. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    Yeh just free, he was so horrible he claimed spots 1-5
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,559 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    Why does this list stop at 5? Hardly anybody on this entire roster met expectations.
  7. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,769 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    No kidding.

Lets count the number of starters who lived up to expectations or performed better than expected

1. Dez Bryant

2. Anthony Spencer

3. Jason Witten

4. Dwayne Harris

these are the guys that stand out. You could maybe make an argument for Romo and/or Brandon Carr...
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,559 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I'm tempted to throw Carter on that list as well, but with the injury who knows.

This roster is chuck full of disappointments.