1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fleener in the 1st?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by rags747, Mar 29, 2012.

1. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,005 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Trade back to the 22-24 range and take Fleener there. Anyone else on board with this? Would definitely solve some of our 3rd wideout issue and would be great to have someone with the ability to get down the field and also add a great redzone target.
  2. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have actually seen him in 4 or 5 mock drafts going in the 1st round...he has moved way up the boards since the season ended.
  3. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Nope, we have bigger needs than a TE.
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    If the alternative is one of the Bama guys then im all for it.

But grabbing Gilmore is really starting to be my first choice especially if Jenkins is a risk to play at all this year.

Then grab zeitler in r2 and winn in r3 with blake in r4 and we have 4 potential day 1 starters right there. we might not have the luxary of grabbing a lesser cb and having him redshirt because of jenkins injuries. JMO
  5. rags747

1,005 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Agree that we have bigger needs than TE but none of the DL are really freaks, they all seem to be pretty good but none of them is a JPP imo. Will any of the top DL really make us all that much better?
  6. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    there ya go well done
  7. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dadgummit! How come we can't have every player we want? LOL. I like the idea of getting a TE like Coby Fleener, but in the 1st ... ??? Too rich for my blood, considering all the other, more pressing needs the Cowboys are in need of addressing in this year's Draft.

We do need to get another quality TE somewhere along the way though, IMO.
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,225 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    Hell no! I'll snap if this happened.
  9. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    May be true, but you don't just draft for need. If the top player (or one of them) fits a more significant need, fine. But you don't just take a CB or DL for the sake of filling that position. That's how you end up with Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, and Ebenezur Ekuban.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,181 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Have you seen Coleman, Spears and Hatcher play.

Cox, Poe, Brockers, Couples are all better than the 3 scrubs we have.

We do not need another TE in the 1st or 2nd round.

Fix this crappy defense. Run the ball more. You can still win with that formula. We don't need 5 guys catching 75 balls a year. Fun for the fans, doesn't equal winning.

DL/OL/Secondary are must higher priorities than TE.
  11. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,030 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    This board would go crazy if that happened. and i would lead the charge..
  12. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Active Member

1,465 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Did Jason Witten get hit by a truck?

How many snaps would this guy get for the next 2 seasons.

I don't think the coaches think Witten is in major decline, so why would they draft a TE that would get very limited pass catching looks, in the FIRST round?

We had such glaring needs in the trenches and at pass rushing, I don't think a TE is a priority until Witten is either near or AT the end.

Now a BLOCKING TE I would like to get, but I think you can do that in later rounds.

IF we didn't have Witten, different story possibly, but where is the benefit.

He'd be like the 5th offensive look behind the running game, then Austin, Dez, Witten.

Wouldn't make sense to me.

DE/OLB/DT/OG and even CB/Safety strike me as the first 2-3 round priorities, even if you are "drafting best player available".

I think your picks in the first couple of rounds have to be at positions where they will start and play significant snaps in important areas of the field, not complimentary or role playing positions (which a TE behind Witten would likely be - blocker - occassional passing target). MAYBE if your team has massive depth and talent already do you take a TE behind Witten in the first or second for grooming, but not when you are trying to get back in the playoffs and make some noise, while Ware, Romo, Rat are in twilight of their careers with window closing.
  13. shmee

shmee Member

127 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Funny u mention fleener in the 1st, I had the worst dream last night, we moved up 2 spots to 12 to take fleener and gave up a 3rd and 4th. I was so pissed in my dream, I woke up pissed and after a couple seconds realized it was a dream. I guess it was a nightmare.
  14. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Do you think picking Fleener would be smater than an Upshaw or a DeCastro?

Picking a TE would tell me they are not expecting to compete this season.
  15. rags747

1,005 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Fleener would come in and start immediately, no doubt about it. Jason WILL be picking up a TE...u can bet your money on it.

Witten while still great is slowing down imo. How many key 1st downs did we see him not get because of his choice of angle. I love the guy and he will be here at least another 3-4 years but we do need someone at the position who can stretch the seam. If not Fleener than I want L Green in Rnd 3.
  16. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    This is just so wrong. Witten is not slowing down. He is 29 years old. You propose replacing him with Fleener? You want someone to stretch the seam, get a slot receiver.
  17. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, No, No, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, No, No,
  18. rags747

1,005 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Yes he is still young but he his body has been through a lot of wars. I am not suggesting that Fleener replace anyone. Fleener would be our 2nd TE in our two TE offense which I believe Jason would like to continue. Jason can continue to be the star TE, I am just suggesting that another TE that would provide another threat to the defense would go a long way in this offense.

I do not believe the Boys will go with DeCastro after what they have done in FA, they will look to add another guard/center after rnd 1.
  19. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Just to understand, you would take Fleener instead of DeCastro or Upshaw?
  20. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,817 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Yep. O-line, secondary, defensive front