1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Floyd not starter for vikes

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MakeNoise4TheBoys, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MakeNoise4TheBoys

MakeNoise4TheBoys New Member

14 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just read on PFT he is playing behind williams, interesting stuff u would think top 5 talents would start right away. Thoughts?
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,633 Messages
    3,355 Likes Received
    He went to the wrong place to start on the DL. However, he'll get a fair number of snaps this year IMO. I think he'll at least be a solid player in the NFL. We'll see.
  3. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,181 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    If this was in Dallas, you guys would be praising Jason Garrett for making the rookie "earn it".
    Carl23 likes this.
  4. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm sure that's what would happen. And you certainly wouldn't complain about our first round pick being a "backup." Nope, can't see you doing that.
  5. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,354 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    1. It's June.

2. There were, like four other guys with first-round grades we didn't take, right?
  6. TheRomoSexual

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    The latter point is important. Heck, I think Eifert would have bee. A better pick than Floyd.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,442 Messages
    3,711 Likes Received
    You don't have to be a cantankerous stick in the mud about everything and turn every post you make in a thread one of a divisive and trollish nature...you really don't.
    LOBO7 likes this.
  8. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Idk, I enjoy anyone who can be described as cantankerous :laugh2:
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,442 Messages
    3,711 Likes Received
    :laugh2: That word was used to describe me not long ago (not on this forum) and I got a good laugh out of it.
  10. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    not starting behind williams is not embarassing.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,121 Likes Received
    Way too early to know how any rookie will develop. I like Floyd but honestly I like the pick the Cowboys made with Frederick. How Floyd does really is not something I think about only how Frederick does see I'm a Cowboys fan not a Vikes fan. :D
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    Not sure the importance of the point is really that much.

Yes there were a handful of guys with r1 grades. How high those r1 grades were is debatable. We ended up instead with 2 r2 graded guys.

I am not a big fan of Escobar but would I rather have Escobar and Frederick over Eifert? Good grief YES!!

Frederick was a walk in starter at any of 3 positions. Eifert and Floyd would have been package guys as rookies. You can say the same for the WR and CB with r1 grades.

End of the day it appears at this point Dallas front office made the right move THIS TIME. It won;t happen every time and hasn't happened all that often. But it is almost illogical to argue they didn't on this occasion.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    Another note that I believe does have some importance.

With Ratliff, Hatcher, Lissemore, Brent and now Bass I see no reason to believe this team NEEDS to use r1 resources on interior DL.

However on the OL? Ummm. Yes perhaps they do.
  14. TheRomoSexual

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    I'm not saying I think the Cowboys made the wrong move -- quite the contrary. I'm saying I don't understand the fixation on Floyd. Every player the Cowboys had a first round grade on would be a rotational player for Dallas this year (Floyd, Eifert, Rhodes, and Patterson). Of those four, I think Eifert would have had the biggest impact. Either way, the move down was the sensible call.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,436 Messages
    936 Likes Received
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...floyd-not-a-planned-minnesota-vikings-starter
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,822 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    Exactly, he's a beast.

The more interesting part is that they obviously don't see him as a 1-technique which we supposedly claimed was all he could play. Still not buying that one. :cool:
  17. TheRomoSexual

2,486 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Um, that's not what the article said. It says they have two established guys at NT.
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,382 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Not that I have a dog in the back and forth about Floyd at this point, but I have to ask this since the subject was posted.

Why should Floyd just jump Williams in the rotation, in June no less? Williams is a good football player. Floyd wouldn't have been named a starter in Dallas at this point either. Ratliff and Hatcher aren't Phil Costa level players.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,822 Messages
    2,671 Likes Received
    He's playing three-tech and they don't want to move him from that. Not that complicated.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    Minny runs a completely different 4-3 scheme for it's DL.

They love big space eaters who stop the run inside.

Nothing at all suggesting the two teams view DTs the same way.