1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Floyd not starter for vikes

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MakeNoise4TheBoys, Jun 21, 2013.

1. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,519 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    Late round Picks (3rd or later) and signing other team's cast off failures is undervaluing the OL for a long period of time. Sure there is poor evaluation involved too but what are the league wide percentages for 3rd round or later draft picks? Poor. And when all evidence tells you that your tepid approach isn't successful the smart thing to do is to up the ante... It took them far too many years to admit it.
  2. dcstands4

dcstands4 Active Member

652 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I see this as a warning sign...another one...
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,205 Messages
    6,999 Likes Received
    Over whom? I think he'd be a rotational player here, too. If he were considered a rookie walk-on starter over either Rat or Hatcher, I think we'd have thought harder about pulling the trigger on him at 18.

Minny wasn't expecting the guy to be a backup this season when they took him. The fan-site scuttlebut was that they'd start him alongside Williams for a year and then slide him over next season, irrc.
    That said, until he plays with pads on, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything this time of year. They might just be easing him in slowly.
  4. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    imo they 100% knew he was going to back up kevin williams who they know is leaving in a years time. They didnt see him whatsoever at the 1 tech in ledlie fraziers scheme. They know he has a year before he has to start and can work him in slowly spelling Kevin W.
    And i agree 100% on the lack of pads.

It seems that people for some reason think because he "slid" he is a bad player. The guy went 23rd out of a pool of 500+ players.
  5. Idgit

31,205 Messages
    6,999 Likes Received
    I'm only going off of what my good friend and business partner had to say about it at the time. He's an avid Vikes fan and said they were planning on playing them next to each other for a year and then moving Floyd over next season. But my info was second hand, so it might well not have been accurate.
  6. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,994 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    i appreciate that and i'm only going off the quotes from Frazier who seems to be very happy with his 2 guys at NT, one whom they just extended last offseason.
    I think its ok to like the frederick pick AND think Floyd can be a player. It seems that some (not you) get offended by that.
  7. Idgit

31,205 Messages
    6,999 Likes Received
    Yeah, to be clear, I like Floyd a lot, and was disappointed when we didn't take him. I don't think he ends up a dynamic playmaker, but I do think he's likely to be a 10 year force to be reckoned with inside. He's a better fit in MIN than he would be, here, though.

I actually liked the Rhodes pick for them better than I did the Patterson and Floyd picks, but I thought Minny absolutely stole that first round of the draft and didn't get much attention for it after the fact.
    unionjack8 likes this.