1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For a Non-Football Guy, Jerry Has Done Okay

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,608 Messages
    1,877 Likes Received
    Jerry is the focus of ire and target of criticism.

He deserves much of the criticism, but not all.

He's been called delusional.

He's been called an idiot.

He's been called a clown.

He's been called a liar.

He's been called a fantasy football GM playing with the big boys.

He's said to be the single most reason for the Cowboys medicority.

Jimmy said he made all football decisions.

Barry Switzer said this week, that Jerruh would pick up the phone when the light on the camera came on so people would see him active in the war room during the draft. Switzer also said the coaches picked the players to draft.

Darren Woodson when asked this week basically said that Jerruh doesnt do all that stuff people think he does.

So, if Jerruh really is the full blown GM he's put together some decent teams and some poor teams in the last 16 years.

For a complete football moron he's got a .500 club. Not bad for an idiot clown. Not good, but not made considering he's going up against the best football guys in the world. Just sayn'

Or maybe what the other guys have said is true and Jerruh is a figure head GM mostly when it comes to football stuff.

People continue to say this team has talent. Its the coaching thats an issue.

Does Jerruh deserve blame?

And lots of blame?

Sure!

But, is he as bad as all the "objective" criticizers say?
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Yes he is. We were Bad News Bears bad before Parcells came in and turned the team around. We kind of compete today because of that core of players but the arrow has clearly been pointing down. Inching ever closer to perennial 5-11 status once again.

There simply isn't enough lipstick for that pig. When left on his own, he's a team killer.
  3. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
  4. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,857 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    Another Jerry thread...I can continue my weekend knowing all is right in the world.:rolleyes:
  5. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's bad as they say. I don't care how many "football groups" he assembles. 1 playoff win since 1996 gets any GM who doesn't own the team fired. We're fast approaching 20 years without a title. Heck not even moving into conference title game. The "everyone is to blame, so no one is to blame" atmosphere is the reason this team has a culture of losing that they cannot shake.
  6. Numbers921

Numbers921 Benched

817 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What else is there to talk about in regards to the Cowboys?
  7. 38 Special

38 Special Member

38 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Jerry the GM has advantages most GMs wish they had. He has access to enough cash to offer the biggest signing bonuses allowing him maximum cap flexibility when dealing with the cap and giving a clear edge when competing for free agents. A lot of players grew up Cowboys fans, providing him another advantage when competing for free agents.

I'd say .500 with the natural advantages that he has enjoyed is pretty sorry.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong Zone Supporter

8,474 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys used to be more than "okay". "Okay" got Tom Landry, the greatest football coach this team ever had, fired. After taking the Cowboys to the playoffs almost every year during a twenty one season stretch, he was let go because his teams did not make the playoffs for three straight seasons. Not making the playoffs was not an acceptable thing for the Dallas Cowboys.

"Okay" became acceptable to this franchise and the fans of this franchise after Jerry Jones decided he wanted some of that football credit. That is why Jerry Jones is such a cancer my friend, he made people think "okay" was good enough.
  9. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,568 Messages
    840 Likes Received

:laugh2: :laugh1: :laugh2:
  10. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,720 Messages
    1,565 Likes Received
    I don't subscribe or particularly like the Jerry is old, senile, crazy, stupid, disillusion, etc, etc theories.

At this point all I can do is look at his 1 playoff victory in the 16 years since Jimmy Johnson left and come to the conclusion that the overall performance of the club over that 16 years has been bottom third to bottom quarter of the league. I don't think there is any arguing it really.

He is the GM. The past 16 years are his. He picked the coaches. He picked the players. You can run away from that.
  11. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

785 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    It is really time to stop saying Jerry isn't a football guy. Sorry RS...

He played for Arkansas and he has been the GM and Owner of the Cowboys for 23 years...

Many people on this board haven't even lived 23 years...

He is a football guy. So is his son, although he didn't play college level (that I am aware of).

They just aren't GOOD football guys...

And, they own it.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    depends on your definition

to me a football guy is not Matt Millen
    its a guy that gets the job done well
  13. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,595 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    You could cover your eyes and randomly throw darts at a draft board over the past 15 years and done better than Jerry.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    That's a great point. As bad as he is in Dallas, he'd be even worse running a team without the pull the Cowboys have with players. He can pretty much go out and get any FA he wants because for some reason the Cowboys are still regarded as the big stage of the NFL.

Jerry the Bengals GM would be historically bad.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    the ONLY GM that Jerruh was better then was Matt Millen
  16. WPBCowboysFan

5,608 Messages
    1,877 Likes Received
    He's be the perfect fit for the Bengals as GM tho. Then you'd have a GM and HC that are mediocre at best year after year and both have been able to keep their jobs year after year. Perfect combo!
  17. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,471 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    Jerry is terrible. He is so terrible that he admits he should be fired from his GM role, but he is so terrible at his ownership role that he won't do it. I despise this clown with every fiber of my being. He is the clown who killed the golden goose. He has eaten the seed corn. He has done what 31 other NFL teams couldn't do - reduced this franchise to being an also ran.
  18. WPBCowboysFan

5,608 Messages
    1,877 Likes Received
    I knew someone would bring up Parcells, so I didnt mention him.

Seriously tho, what did Parcells win here in Dallas? I was happy when he came here. But when you look at his track record he had less stellar results at each of his next stops. In NY he won 2 SB's for the Giants. In NE got to the SB but lost. NY Jets, got to the Conf Championship game and lost. Dallas, got to the playoffs. Miami = maybe not a disaster, but nothing.

Did Parcells stock pile the talent on the roster? Some like to make that plea.

The reality is Wade Phillips has been the most successful coach in Dallas since the glory 90's. Say it was Parcell's team if you want, but Wade was in the picture when it actually happened.

Bottom line is we have been bad for a long time. Jerruh deserves the blame. But for all who say he is an idiot, clown, delusional, moron, stupid, etc., he has got a .500 team doing it. An idiot and a moron couldn't do .500. A guy that isnt very good at what he is doing as a GM can, and has. And for that there is no defense. Its time for him to make a real change.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    They need to make an "epic rap battles of history" between Jimmy and Jerry.
  20. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Excellent point.

Teams like the Lions, Browns and Cardinals don't have the $$$ to spend the way Jones has.

Were Jones as financially constrained as some other organizations are (at least in comparison to the NFL's big market teams), the record in Dallas wouldn't even be sniffing .500.

Jerry's homer fans don't realize that (or more likely, have set their feet in stone on this matter, and will never admit how idiotic their defense of him has been).