1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For anybody who wants to draft a DE at 14....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Feb 7, 2012.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Where exactly is this player going to play? I think we have all agreed that Rat will be moved to his more natural position of DE. So that makes the rotation at the position look like this- Rat/Spears/Lissemore/Hatcher/Geathers. So where exactly are you going to fit another guy in there? With that many guys the only d-line we should adding is a big bodied NT to play inside with Brent. That can be done in round 4 or later or in FA. Our d-line will be just fine with that many options for Rob to move around.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,335 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I don't see a 3-4 DE at 14 due to other major needs.
    Same reason why I don't see a OG at 14.
    Dallas has other major needs that coaches and GM value more than a OG.

Scouts, Coaches, and GMs value filling a need at with a goor CB or pass rusher more than a OG in the first. The value is greater with a CB or pass rusher than a OG.

IF you play the odds, you can find a day one starting OG in the 2nd or 3rd.
    Odds are even less for finding a startng CB in the 3rd.
    Odds of finding a day one ready to start SOLB in a 3-4 past the 1st round is very very slim.

If you play the odds
    Round 1 OLB
    Round 2 CB
    Round 3 OG.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,240 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    I don't see a 3-4 DE worth a #14.
  4. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Basically. I don't even see one rising high enough to even consider there.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,289 Messages
    3,025 Likes Received
    I would not mind getting DE Nick Perry but as an OLB
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    You should be able to answer your own question by looking at that list.

Rat/Spears/Lissemore/Hatcher/Geathers

The only legit 3 downs starter there is Rat and he has no real experience at the position.
    Lissemore is a DE/DT hybrid rotational guy. Spears is a run stopper. Hatcher is a pass rusher. Geathers is a prospect being brought along to back up others.

I am not targeting any 3-4 DE at 14 to be sure but it's not like we drafted JJ Watt he wouldn't be starting for us.
  7. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,656 Messages
    598 Likes Received
    Quinton Coples

Geathers can't even get on the field and Spears is not even a starter these days. All those guys screaming for pocket pushers will get their wish with Coples.
  8. Skerr41

Skerr41 Member

111 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would love Coples to still be there at 14. I see a lot of mocks with him going 7 though.
  9. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,005 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Brockers, but I'm not leaning that direction
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,915 Messages
    1,791 Likes Received
    The idea of a DE at 14 is, IMO, predicated on the idea that we will not be replacing Spencer at OLB. The idea being that if you bring in a DE who can create pressure, it frees Spencer or forces you to try and block a DE who can pressure one on one. The bigger picture here is that teams can no longer use 2 or 3 players against DWare. This is why DE is getting play at 14 IMO and because you really don't have many 34 OLB options in the first, as you have in years past. Coples is the logical guy there but those who say he may be gone are right. He may be gone.

To me, if you can't sign a good OLB, then you either have to look at upgrading DE or upgrading NT. NT might make more sense. We don't really have a guy who can cave the pocket. We just don't. We have guys who can hold the line but not really cave it. Nobody forces a double play in, play out. Many times, our NT takes himself out of the play and that's because that's scheme. I think that this needs to change. This is part of the reason we are not viewed as tough. We do not dominate and control the center of the field defensively. That needs to change IMO.
  11. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Where are the top NTs projected to be drafted? Not in the 1st, right? We could get BPA at either G, DE, OLB or CB in the 1st and then continue to draft BPA at each of those positions until we get to the point where we are in position to get a solid NT. Right?
  12. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    Exactly...is that list supposed to impress anyone? Using this logic we don't need a guard either if we re-sign Holland, that leaves Arkin, Nagy and KK to all fight for the other spot since mediocrity is acceptable.
    I would be more than happy adding a Brockers in the first or Crick in the second.
    We need a pressure player or two or get ready to watch another year of Eli/Vick picking our "d" apart.
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Wow. Talk about overrating your talent.

Yeah, those cupboards are just stocked......with just a guys.
  14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    With an undersized and gap shooter at the nose, he gets worn down through a normal season. Come the month of black and blue, when injuries have accumulated, using talent doesn't stand up in one's defensive line center. That is when brute force and aggression dictates the close calls.

Give me a huge nose tackle, that at least can get 'pissed' come high intensity time.
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,042 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    If used properly in a rotation they are fine. Spears, Brent, Rat against the run is very good and then Hatcher, Rat, Lissemore/Geathers against the pass is good. They aren't going to be the greatest squad ever but they should be more than enough to get the job done affectively. Secondary and O-line are way more pressing needs than a 3-4 DE.
  16. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,956 Messages
    522 Likes Received
    They have never got the "job done", why would that change next year?
  17. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I don't see a DE worthy of a #14 selection other than Coples, but he will be gone before then. I hear all the praise for Brockers, but he is a pure potential player. You don't draft players that high on potential only. At least J.J. Watt some some production to go along with his potential last year.

I would prefer the Cowboys get a top DE in FA like Calais Campbell.
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,998 Messages
    1,282 Likes Received
    I would settle in on Mario Williams to up the anti in pass rushing...
  19. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,174 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Ratliff will probably be a NT for life :eek:
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,516 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    Coples will be gone by 8 at the latest. You can forget all about him.

He is a 4-3 Pass rushing machine.