1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: For Cowboys, no more small-school DBs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- The NFL draft is not until May 8-10 and we will spend plenty of time dissecting players from here, there and everywhere in relation to the Dallas Cowboys.

While you should never speak in absolutes when it comes to the draft, here is one: The Cowboys do not need to draft a defensive back from a small school.

Since 2010, the Cowboys have drafted five defensive backs from small schools and have not seen one pan out yet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys
  2. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,960 Messages
    718 Likes Received
    Makes sense to me. The big-school DBs play against the big-school and highly touted QBs.

Also, no more little school QBs . . . .

I will be in my bunker if anybody needs me. the password is Richard Widmark.
    Blast From The Past and Clove like this.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,710 Messages
    2,382 Likes Received
    There is one I'd take for sure in the 6th or 7th if he is there. I have no issue with rolling the dice late.
    Blast From The Past likes this.
  4. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,097 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    I guess Jerry's strategy of outsmarting the rest of the nfl drafters is not appreciated.
    One day one of these picks might pan out. Then he will be a genius! !;)
  5. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

402 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    If I was GM of a team, I would feel the same way about most players drafted.

Big time players usually end up at big time programs for the most part. Of course you have your diamond inthe rough guys at small schools, but if drafting the small school guys, you better put up impressive, outstanding numbers giving me the belief that you could have played at any program at the college level.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,089 Messages
    4,295 Likes Received
    The most disturbing part of the article.
    CowboyFan4Eva, guag, tm1119 and 3 others like this.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,853 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    You take the best player...period.
    There is a very long list of Pro Bowl and even HOF players that went to so-called "small schools".

I bet Kansas City was glad they didn't follow Archer's advice when they drafted Brandon Carr.

Just off the top of my head, some old and new.....Larry Allen, Walter Peyton, Jerry Rice, Darrell Green, Howie Long, Terrell Owens, Vincett jackson, Cortland Finnegan, Jhari Evans, ...

If it's in the later rounds, I don't see the issue...unless of course, you don't trust your scouts.
  8. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    Who is that?
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,184 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received
    Dallas drafted a DB from a big school(LSU) a couple of years ago. Not only a big school, but what is supposedly a powerhouse that produces yearly NFL talent. Aren't there almost a dozen LSU DBs in the league right now?
    alicetooljam likes this.
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,184 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received
    Finnegan? Other than that it is a nice list.
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,032 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Your odds of getting a steady starter out of the later rounds are so low that it's always a crapshoot. As I understand it, the Cowboys draft philosophy for later rounds is to pick players who do at least one thing very, very well. When you're looking at something like 10% chances, you are going to fail most of the time anyway.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,853 Messages
    2,129 Likes Received
    haha

I was just tossing out names off the top of my head of players that had good careers. Ddin't mean to say he belonged with those guys overall....but now that you mention it, it does look funny.
    I bet anyone who could draft a player like Finnegan in the late rounds would be happy though.
    I think there's even a small school defensive back in the Pro Bowl this year again (Brent Grimes?)
  13. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    622 Likes Received
    i hope we avoid small school players completely this year,we cant afford for them to basically be redshirted for the first year.
    Mr Cowboy likes this.
  14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,183 Messages
    4,729 Likes Received
    It seems that the Cowboys have had problems picking DBs. I don't think it's correlated to what college they attended.
  15. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    that is true, it just happens that they are from small schools.
  16. bear34

bear34 Member

42 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    1st and 2nd round pick for a big school DB who is a JAG at best. I guess no more big school DBs either
    visionary and alicetooljam like this.
  17. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,710 Messages
    2,382 Likes Received
    Marcus Williams, North Dakota State.
  18. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,698 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Caught their bowl game. Good team for a small school like that. Followed them a little this year just because I have a former student who's in the Athletic Training program there. I'm no scout, but Willimas looked good from what I saw.
    Hostile likes this.
  19. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,415 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    No more players from Ouachita Baptist.
    Hostile likes this.
  20. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,286 Messages
    827 Likes Received
    Ya know I was thinking about this - you mean to tell me of all the starting DB's at Alabama, Florida, Georgia, USC, Ohio St, Oklahoma, etc who played week in and week out against big time competition - none of those guys was a better prospect both physically, instinctually and football wise than Jeff Heath?

It's hard to believe.