1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For DRAFT GURU's a Question !!!

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Mar 11, 2009.

1. garyv

garyv Active Member

1,410 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    For anyone that has paid close attention to Oklahoma Football if you were picking and both Phil Loadholt and Duke Robinson were on the Draft Board, which one of these guy's would you pick and why?
  2. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Depends what round. Duke Robinson likely would not be around in the 3rd but imo would be great value at #51. I love Loadholt but #51 may be to early. I think he will go some where in the late 2nd early 3rd. It's not unreasonable to think that we could land Robinson at #51 and Loadholt at #97 if we went OL heavy and I would have no problem with that.
  3. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not sure I'd want either of them. Both of them are threats to eat themselves out of the league and niether of them looked good agaianst Florida either.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I'm not an expert on either one, but for some reason I'm wary of both of them, too.

I guess I'd be less wary of Robinson. Loadholt is too big and too slow afoot IMO.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    All else equal, I'd take Robinson for sure.
  6. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    You know Robinson hired a nutritionist. There was an article I need to find a post that had some good interviews with the guy he hired in it. He was talking about how more colleges need dietitians and nutritionists. Schools that do have limited resources and these kids are never taught the right way to eat in order to keep your body at maximum efficiency.

I'm not saying it will stop him. I understand your concern but if the kid is serious enough to hire some one I believe he has the want to.
  7. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    duke robinson in the 2nd round, he has loads of more talent, in fact, duke robinson in a couple of years i think will be all pro, a very good offensive guard.

loadholt is too slow at LOT, but might make a decent ROT, but taking him in the 2nd round is too high, now what you might do if the good players are taken when your 51st slot comes up, you mgiht trade down 3-5 slots, not no more, you never trade down far, you lost quality players that way.

But you might trade down, and get a extra 3rd rounder and still get a good player say in the 53rd to 57th slot,

but and i say a big but, the only way you do that, say when your picking at 51, and guys you like delmas the safety, duke robinson OG, Loadholt OT and at least 2 more players are still on your board. A team calls you during the draft, to move up ahead of a team right behind you. They in exchange give you their 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder, maybe a 6th or 7th thrown in to sweeten the deal. Then, you might consider that trade. This team needs quality players, not quanity.

I also see the cowboys trading one of their 5th rounders or 6th rounder to recoup the 5th rounder they lost for trading for the offensive guard from denver Holland last year. We lose our 5th rounder next year in 2010 for that trade.

Reports are coming in next year, that with the possibility of uncapped year, that you want all of your draft picks for 2010 and then some extra ones too.

With an uncapped year, where owners and teams can spend heavy money on free agency and draft picks, before the lock comes in with the NFL setting a ceiling price on draft picks. More juniors will come out to get that money. So, you want to have extra draft picks in 2010.

So;, i see jerry jones trading some of our picks or packaging them this year to move up in 2nd round and 3rd and 4th this year to get good quality players.
  8. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Interesting take on the uncapped year and how you believe it will effect JR's. I have read some article saying it will have the opposite effect because there will be no guidelines or slotting as it is now.