1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For Several Years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,667 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    I was slow on the uptake with Romo. Having been a walk-on, I wanted to see something other than just flash. I wanted substance.

As I stated in a post a few weeks ago, I believe in Romo. These interceptions do not deter my belief.

And here's why.

The steady argument for Romo back in the day was he made the plays and the stats.

Stats have always been a huge argument for him. He had the stats to be an elite QB.

So now the management has surrounded him with Austin, who is a very solid WR. Dez, who is solid at times but woefully inadequate when having to think on the fly. And Ogletree, who is perhaps smarter than Dez but loses focus.

The offensive line cannot adequately protect him and the running game has been non-existent.

So let me see if I have this right.

Romo is carrying the team by himself with two WR's that cannot guarantee they will be in the right spot or that they will catch the ball consistently.

Now factor in Romo is running for his life on nearly all plays and there is no running game to keep the defense honest.

And he still damn near beat the defending Super Bowl champs.

Yep, this is surely Romo's fault.

Climb off the ledge. This is the problem of the people that run this team fielding scrubs and knuckleheads for players and thinking the best player on the team can do it by himself.

Can we please go back to the days when everyone thought I was a Romo hater and defended him like he was their kid brother?
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,243 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    I agree w a lot of this.

Romo needs more help. A disciplinarian at HC, somebody who can reel him in just a tad. And a guy who can build a running game for him.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    Agreed. All the garbage and chaos around him has finally caught up to him and he can not overcome it. This includes our playcaller and head coach.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,367 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    He has a pretty darn good TE as well and a defense that could be lights out if they could just start playing defense on the other teams 20 instead of our own all the time.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    LOL

Great Post. Sounds familiar.
  6. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

508 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    The Cowboys do not have fertile ground for a disciplined, efficient and effective team to develop. They have a few talented enough individuals from keeping this from flopping completely but too many holes for it to work. Jones simply, philosophically will always try to add talent vs. building a team. He would have to get lucky to find success and his track record of finding offensive lineman is poor to be nice.

I root for them and love the team but watching them after you watch a normal, capable franchise is like getting a root canal.
  7. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,342 Messages
    326 Likes Received
    Great post, OP...I agree.
  8. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    100% agreed.
  9. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,750 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Yeah...and Aaron Rodgers is sacked twice as much as Romo, has ZERO running game, an inconsistent TE and another WR who is similarily inconsistent and his defense is very average if they cannot pressure the QB.

Rodgers has well over a 100 rating and is ELITE.

Romo is average.
  10. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Who said Romo is elite? Rodgers is on another level.
  11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    Please stop the excuses.

Listen, I get some of what your saying. I laid it out there myself today. He puts up stats and he is the best we have behind a bad oline. Agree

BUT he has also been part of the problem for years. These aren't new mistakes. Along with the talent and overcoming the line you get his 10 cent brain that shorts out during seasons and will lose a game or two. That is fact. There are a lot if guys like Roethlisberger and others who gave succeeded despite their line and weapons. They minimize mistakes and ride what they have. Romo hasn't learned that. A lot of his mistakes change the momentum of games...see Baltimore a few years back where everyone blamed the D at the end. Great plays with dumb plays equals .500
  12. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,271 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    You want to talk about questionable moves as a GM... Ted Thompson is supposed to be a genius, yet somehow Aaron Rodgers is absolutely being battered in GB this year -- on pace for 56 sacks. At this rate, he'll never make it through the season.

The Packers might have the worst OL in the entire NFL.

See -- Jerry Jones is better than Ted Thomson. :p:
  13. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,024 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Yeah, but Rogers has a better offensive play caller (currently), better receivers, or at least ones that he can count on to adjust their routes, or be where they are supposed to be, those receivers ironically coached by the same wide receiver's coach we now have on our team.
  14. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Aaron Rodgers is a great QB, but he also plays in an offensive scheme that is QB friendly. His receivers are always open, and his receivers are much more clutch than Dallas'. Several of his completed passes were the result of circus catches by his receivers. Like I said, he's a great QB, but his receivers contribute a lot to his greatness. I doubt he would be as successful in Dallas running our offense. Remember, Matt Flynn and Graham Harrell have also looked very sharp running that offense.

Since GB has switched to the WCO, most of their backup QB's have been tagged in free agency, only to fail on another team with a different offensive playbook.
  15. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,019 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Romo has faced a ridiculous defensive schedule. Look at the games Rodgers had against SF, Chicago, and Seattle...3 tds and 2 ints in those 3 games with about a 40 something qb rating. His 6 td outburst against Houston was epic, no doubt.

Other than that, Jacksonville, Indy, NO, and STL in which he has thrown 11 of his 21 tds.

Romo has had the tough road of facing the world champs/division rivals twice, Seattle, Chicago, and Baltimore on the road.

All this while having injuries all around him, penalties all around him, drops all around him, and coaching incompetence all around him.

It has been a really tough year for Romo and I give him credit for working through the adversity. I think we are going to see some great things from him if this teams rights the ship a bit.

To think through all of this that we were a Dez Bryant 2 point conversion drop/missed fg in waning seconds from beating the unbeatable Ravens and a finger tip from sweeping the world champs...ya, he sucks.
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,120 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Romo dropped back 60+ times and got smacked on at least 30 of those drop backs. The Cowboys OL has regressed immensely. Everyone clearly saw that the OL could got zero push in the run game but the putrid pass protection is overlooked.

Romo was clearly off his game against the Giants, especially early but no run game, WR drops, etc. but he overcame all those turnovers and obstacles and still came a hair's breath (or the length of a finger) away from one of the greatest comebacks EVER. Take the disappointment out of it, and everyone has to admit, that game was crazy and everyone was at the edge of their seat the entire second half. I know I was riveted. All of America was.
  17. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,750 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Poor Tony...tough sked...idiot Dez...bad oline.....bla bla blah...why is it that the common theme you hear from football people (players/ex-coaches) is the same with Tony....very talented but is prone to making dumb decisions at key times. The guy proved it again yesterday. Team is in a position to win the game, third and one he audibles out of the right call (run) and decides to a) short out to Witten who caught fifty balls already?? Nope. B) He finds his buddy Austin, who was eating up a rookie on yet another slant? No, too easy.. C)He goes to his most physically gifted WR on a streak?? Strike three. Would you believe he opts to lob a jump ball to Otree of all people instead. Even best case scenario they score a TD and the Giants are conveniently left with over a minute and two TO's with Mr.Clutch behind center. Smart football Romo. People rag on Dez for being an idiot, but the real idiot with the star on his helmet happens to be the QB right now. Sorry I was as big a Romo defender as you'll find, but there is no excuse for his play right now...he's been atrocious.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    Romo is rattled by all of the chaos around him. He never knows who is going to do what on each play. Not to mention his Oline may just get him killed depending on the week.

Romo is mistake prone but a lot of it is we just have no direction on offense.

Jerry Jones screwed this up.
  19. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Active Member

634 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    Well stated.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Good point. Green Bay runs a totally different offense.