1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For Several Years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Oct 29, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,439 Messages
    1,629 Likes Received
    The Cowboys want to run a predictable offense that throws in some wrinkles once we have had success with that predictability.

The problem is we never can establish it because we're usually turning the ball over or getting a penalty.

It's just a chaotic mess and has been for years. Outside of 2007 and a little stretch in 2009 our offense has been all over the place.
  2. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,890 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    He's not nearly running for his life on all plays or even close to it.

I still believe we should keep Romo around, but I think we need to be smart and start looking to transition into the phase of finding a replacement so when he is no longer a viable option at starting QB, we will have another QB in place.

I am alarmed by some of his inaccuracy lately. At first I chalked it up to playing on the road and perhaps some wind. But he was wild against the Giants, even on times he had all day to throw and had guys wide open.

I think it's flat out foolish to beleve that he's automatically got 4 more good years in him.

YR
  3. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,033 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    You mean the play that was a TD if the Giant defender doesn't arm bar Ogletree? Or if Otree just fights through the arm bar and goes for the ball instead of looking for the call?

Oh yeah, that one.

The same play that Otree scored on in the first game we played? The one that was perfectly thrown and perfectly called against the coverage the giants were playing?

Yup, I remember that one.

Yet if the Cowboys run the ball or he does throw it to one of the others and the ball is batted a picked or something else...Romo is still going to be blamed by you.

:bang2:
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,813 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    It was a horrible call in that situation. Who cares how it was thrown or the arm bar (could have been called on Otree by the way for offensive P.I), point it is what a dumb call. Why on earth would you want to leave over a minute for Capt.Clutch to walk forty yards down the field and have there kicker kick a fg to beat you? It made no sense and if Romo is so great he "should" be able to get a yard with two cracks at it shouldn't he? The guy has no patience and doesn't understand situational football, he proves it time and time again.
  5. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,768 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I thought he was on target with Witten for the most part, and Austin to a lessor extent (missed on a couple I know). Reminds me of RW times, on target with everyone else, RW passes were everywhere (RW still sucked here, though he was pretty solid redzone WR).
  6. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,877 Messages
    1,198 Likes Received
    And yet another Romo homer turned realist. Congrats!! After while it just gets too hard to defend Romo doesn't it? He is nothing more than fools gold. It's nice to see another fan come to that realization too.
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,890 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    He threw a bad pass to a wide open Dez. Dez still caught it for 55 yards, but it should have been an easy TD since he was so wide open. On the very next play, he misses Witten by a mile and Witten was open and that would have been another first down. Instead of making a TD on that drive, we come away with a FG.

He misses Hanna who was wide open, by a mile underneath. He missed Austin by a mile a few times and as Aikman said 'those weren't even close.'

I think his confidence is shaken a little. If he throws a TD like the one to Charles Tillman, he gets blamed for it. If JPP gets lucky and makes a great play, Romo gets the blame. But he has not been very accurate this year. He needs help, but I think we are making a bad move if we think that:

a) he'll stay perfectly healthy in the next 3 years
    b) his skills won't decline in the next 3 years.

I think we have a possibly good situation here.

We could draft a QB in the 2nd round next year. Change up the offense scheme and get a different O-Coordinator. Romo should be able to pick up the new offense rather quickly, he's smart and a veteran. The rookie QB will be in an offense that should be suited for him and he can learn under one O-Coordinator.

Give the rookie 2-3 years to learn and then he can be ready for when we are done with Romo.

My issue here is I just get the feeling that we'll never look ahead and we will blow the opportunity to make a fairly seamless transition to a new offense and a new QB.

YR
  8. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,033 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    The PI call was made, they decided pick up the flag which is ludicrous. It should have been 1st and goal at the 1. There was no way that was a call against Otree...not sure what you are looking at.

Romo is great in that he did better than get the 1st, he had either the TD or the ball on the 1. Because of the incompetence of the refs and the player he threw it to, it did not happen.

He also put the ball in the end zone to win the game. Perfect throw DEEP (which haters have been bashing him on) but fingertips prevented him from scoring.

He's also bashed for not being 'clutch' but he put the ball on Otree that should have put us ahead or in position to go ahead and he put the ball on Dez with precision only to have it taken away.

This is on the heels of what he did in Baltimore.....

Romo haters are REALLY going to hate it when we have to find another qb again. I can't believe people are ready to go back to the Quicny, Hutch, Bledsoe, Leaf, Stoerner, etc of the world.
  9. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,813 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Why do they need to go back to those days? Cincy got rid of Palmer and replaced him with a good young QB, Skins decided they HAD to get a QB and seemed to have gotten a good one, Broncos went out and got a legend...if you really want a QB you have to make the commitment. The Cowboys for years tip toed around the issue instead of making a serious commitment, had they done so they wouldn't need have had to suffer through the Q or Henson days.

Romo has talent no question, but the chronic lack of patience and inability to stay away from mistakes seems to have gotten worse. Now, his accuracy is even leaving him which spells very average in my books. The Cowboys franchise should not tolerate average at the QB position. If Romo can't turn this around, I see no reason to extend him.
  10. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    IF we decide to draft a QB early, a guy I'd look at is Mike Glennon from NC State. I'll start paying attention to him a bit more as the season winds down.
  11. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,486 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    It would be nice to have a quarterback who understands the meaning of ball security.

I don't give a flying you-know-what about Romo or whoever the quarterback is, if you turn the ball over, you will lose.

I used to care about Romo stats so I could prove to people how good he is. Well after year 7 of the Romo experiment, the only stats I care about now are wins and losses at this point.
  12. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    FWIW the people who think Romo should be replaced are not advocating going after UDFAs, headcases like Quincy or a retread like Bledsoe but rather spending a premium pick on a QB(1st or 2nd round)
  13. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    The only alarming thing is the way he is missing open guys recently on routine throws we've seen him make in his sleep.

Have to hope it's the result of an injury or something.

Because when mobile QBs legs go they go fast, and it's all downhill from there. And we're going to need to extend him soon or move on.
  14. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    It will be tragic if we do move on. I like the guy so much and I wanted him to lead us to #6.

Que Sera Sera...
  15. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

3,033 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    The skins went through how many years of horrible qbs before getting a shot at RGIII. Do you forget the 1st round pick they spent on Campbell and the high pick they spent on Patrick Ramsey? How about the picks they gave up for McNabb?

The Bengals certainly got a young qb with some promise. Having said that, he only has 3 less ints than Romo has this year. I'll grant you that he is only in his 2nd year but he is far from a sure fire franchise qb imo.

As far as Romo's accuracy, he has missed on a few passes this year that were headscratchers. No doubt.

Having said that, he is 7th in the league in completion percentage and above a guy like Brady.

65% is darn good.
  16. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    What will be tragic is if he moves on from us and wins one elsewhere because he can't take this crap from Jerry and the Ginger anymore.
  17. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,768 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    I though Palmer refused to play for the Bengals anymore.
  18. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He'd deserve it and then all the Ginger-homers can finally see the light..
  19. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I'd be so happy for him, lol. Witten and Ware too, if they ever have to move on.

It's a shame how badly we are wasting the primes of these GREAT players.
  20. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,373 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    A good bit of what the OP has merit, but I'm sorry, some of y'all need to take your blinders off. Romo BADLY missed receivers on at least 3 occasions I recall sunday. And those weren't due to him "running for his life on nearly every play".

Romo's a very good QB and I'm happy he's there. But this complete absolution he's getting because of all the other factors mentioned, are just patently incorrect.