1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

For those who think Carimi can fill our RT spot

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Avenging Hayseed, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Your right,......he can! And in a big way. ;)

Take this from the worlds biggest Badger fan.......There are no less than 4 defensive ends from the Big 10 that most probably will be 1st round picks this year.

I watched Carimi utterly dominate three of them. Those three would be Adrian Clayborne, Cam Heyward, and Ryan Kerrigan. I watched Gabe completely own all three of those guys in theyre games last season.

Oh, and the 4th 1st round defensive end coming out ? .... That would be the guy that Carimi practiced against every day, JJ.Watt, most probably the best of the 4.

Highly doubtful Nate Solder has anything remotely like that to hold up. Other thing is this....I firmly believe that Carimi can step right in and be a very good left tackle for just about any team, but since we have Doug Free, Gabe can play right tackle where I believe he will be dominant.

Now....Having said all that,........Im still torn at which approach we should take.

Approach 1 is to draft Cam Jordan in the 1st, sign a free agent right tackle, then come back and get Carimi's linemate Moffitt in the top of the third.

Approach 2 would be to trade down to the late teens, pick up an extra second along the way,...and take Carimi with that tradedown pick in the first. Probably somewhere in the 17-19 range.

Either way,....Ive still got us going after Moffitt in the 3rd, but I must admit,..as high as I am on Carimi I am leaning toward option 1.
  2. Avenging Hayseed

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    DANG IT! Typo in the thread title, misspelled Carimi. Mods, can one of you change that for me? ...Thanx in advance.
  3. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,786 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    I didn't get to watch the Badgers play this year so I will take your word for it. If he's as good as you say, and we miss out on Peterson, I might be inclined to go for option 2. Although, if we find a good RT in FA then option 1 is fine also.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,626 Messages
    2,999 Likes Received
    When I watched them in the bowl game, he wasn't doing anything other than owning guys on a regular basis. Wisconsin lost because they can't throw/catch.
  5. Avenging Hayseed

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received

Here ya go,...give it a quick view when you have a minute. Number 68 playing left tackle, Moffitt is right next to him, number 74 the guard.

Can really throw people out of the way! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnxQ2NIxPfw
  6. Avenging Hayseed

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Yep....the drops were many! STILL tees me off. That and the usual mr automatic f.g kicker missing an easy one.

Other thing about Carimi and Moffitt......those dudes are flat out NASTY! Play to the whistle kind of guys that want to BURY YOU. Ahhhhhhh, memories of The Big E, Eric Williams before he got hurt in the car crash.
  7. The Realist

The Realist Well-Known Member

3,532 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    I love Carimi. Find a way to get him.

Like Moffitt too, but I think we are more likely to take one of these LT's who are far more athletic than Moffitt and transition him to LG. Ijalana, Watkins, Ziemba, etc, etc.
  8. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,564 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    I wouldn't have any issue with grabbing him at all, but I can't see Dallas going after him unless they plan on trading down.
  9. Avenging Hayseed

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Off the subject a Bit,....this thread gave me a chance to take a stroll down memory lane....LOL. IMO Eric Williams was the most dominant lineman I have ever seen BEFORE he had the car accident. After the wreck he was still pretty good, but never had the same mobility IMO that he had earlier. That dude was a one man wrecking crew, only guy I ever saw that could routinely dominate Reggie White. Heck...I remember one game where Pro bowl end William Fuller took himself out of the game out of the pure frustration of Williams dominating him so badly. In fact....IMO Williams was more dominant than Allen was until he had the wreck. We could sure use some of that again!
  10. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    he's the number 1 lineman i want more than anyone else. i am resigned to fate that peterson will be gone. as well as some of the stud D-lineman. if possible i would try to trade down and grab him but i watched this guy dominate in so many games and i just feel he is going to be a stud RT at the next level that i wouldnt be upset if we just used 9 on him if we cant trade down plug him in and we have our bookends for 7+ years go the free agent route for a guard(dahl,jospeh) or maybe there is a cannon or moffit in r3. the OL will be set .
  11. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,879 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Sadly, he will probably go to the Eagles.
  12. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry but you simply do not take a RT with the 9th overall pick... You either move down in the draft and get another future 1st round pick or you simply wait until the 2nd round if you feel the RT is not in house already (the kid from Notre Dame taken last year...).
  13. Avenging Hayseed

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received

You do realize of coarse thats EXACTLY what I said,.....RIGHT? In my opening post I thought I was very clear by saying we could move down into the late teens to pick him.
  14. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,564 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    That brings up an interesting point. Is this whole "don't grab a RT or Guard" thing a product of value or a combination of value vs. the salary that type of pick commands? I'm just wondering if, in general, the landscape may change on picking those positions that high when a rookie cap is established.
  15. The Realist

3,532 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    SF traded up from 13 to 11 to take AD last year at RT.

This is a bad example but Cincy to Smith at 6.

Carimi is my favorite player in the draft, but I'm not taking him at 9.

Just pointing out some examples.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,212 Messages
    2,394 Likes Received
    He's the best Tackle in the draft imo.

I can't count on Tyron Smith to gain all that weight.
  17. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,117 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    what you could do is this, maybe a scenario like the packers kinda did

trade down, cam jordan probably wont go till about the 12th to 15th pick, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd, with a 7th

then like green bay, trade back up in 1st round and get carimi if he is there, you will have 2 standout linemen for years

mostly everyone wants us to get patrick peterson, but im hearing he will be gone by 2nd pick or 4th latest, way to high for us to move up

you could package your 2nd and that extra 2nd or 3rd you get by trading down from 9th, and get back up in 1st to get carmini if he is around the 24th to 27th pick,

or what you could do is like what we did with eagles when we traded with them to move back up in 1st round,

we gave up our 2nd rounder from cleveland, our 3rd rounder and our 5th rounder

if somehow carimi or solder is there, dallas might do that,
    you would have 2 first rounders, a 2nd or 3rd rounder left over from trade down from 9th slot, our 4th, we could recoup that 5th rounder by possibly trading down that 3rd rounder down alittle

and i still think that the cowboys will make some trades by draft time if cba is signed during the draft
    marion barber maybe for a 4th and 7th, maybe leonard davis, roy williams wr, etc...
  18. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,879 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Cam Jordan might go 7 to the 49ers.
  19. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

838 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    For me I'm hoping for a Wisconsin trifecta with our first three picks Carimi, Watts, and Moffitt. Trading down in the round to pick up Carimi, then taking that extra pick gained with our second round moving to the bottom of the first and grabbing Watts and spending our third rounder on Moffitt.
  20. The Realist

3,532 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    They are desperate at QB, CB and 3-4 OLB.

All far more valuable and important than a 3-4 DE.

Also, Jordan belongs at WDE where they have an 8 sack guy in Justin Smith.