1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Forbes ranked NFL's best fans, Cowboys #7

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Aug 22, 2014.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,646 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    According to Forbes, market researchers Nielsen Scarborough found that "84 percent of adults in Green Bay are Packers fans, identified as such having watched, attended, and/or listened to the team’s games this past year." You can't find 84 percent of people in most communities to agree that water is wet, much less on a football team. Now, here's where you say that Packers fans are so into the team because there's nothing else to do in Northeast Wisconsin, and that's what Forbes did:

"It seems little else goes on there to compete for their attention, and anything that does revolves around the team," Forbes wrote.

They've totally glossed over deer hunting and ice fishing and cheese curd and 22-inch kielbasaeating, but that's fine. The Packers are indisputably the NFL's top fans, and I'm sure they're proud to be recognized as such.

The top spot was a foregone conclusion, but the rest of Forbes' top 10 had some debatable picks:

2. Denver Broncos
    3. New Orleans Saints
    4. New England Patriots
    5. Baltimore Ravens
    6. Indianapolis Colts
    7. (tie) Dallas Cowboys
    7. (tie) Pittsburgh Steelers
    9. Seattle Seahawks
    10. Chicago Bears

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-already-know-who-ranked-first-212252354.html
  2. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Well-Known Member

1,233 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    They need to meet some people on this forum. :D
    Reality, BigStar, Nirvana and 4 others like this.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    84% of Green Bay can fit into Lambeau. It's far closer to a college town than it is a city with a professional sports team. This is comparable to finding out that almost all of Norman, OK are Sooner fans.

It's a small place located a long way from any major metropolitan area. It's miserably cold and has no particular drawing power for people from other states. Considering the only uptick in the population is probably spoken for by the number of children born there, the team would have relocated decades ago if the local support wasn't so absurdly high.
    BigStar, Nirvana, FiveTime and 2 others like this.
  4. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    There isn't much in Green Bay other than the Packers to keep the population from banging their heads on the wall out of sheer frustration to find anything else worthwhile to do. Their situation isn't really comparable to practically any NFL team in any other area in sports. That 84% in Green Bay would likely be a far less percentage in practically any other city in professional sports. The fact that Dallas has attended games and paid attention to their team despite their long abstinance from winning is remarkable.
  5. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,392 Messages
    5,917 Likes Received
    saints? patriots? colts? [IMG]
  6. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    1,150 Likes Received
    I figured the Steelers would be higher.
  7. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,572 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Considering the abuse this fan base has endured the past 20yrs, I'd say #7 is pretty dang good! :cool:
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,764 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    I did too, like #2, I was surprised.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,793 Likes Received
    Yep, It all depends on the criteria that is used to rank fans. Don't the Cowboys lead in merchandise sales?

Do most cities outside of NYC have 3 sports talk radio stations that spend a majority of their time reporting on the local football team?

I know of about 5 Cowboys message boards. I wonder if it's like that with other teams.

On the flip side, the passion of fans at games is not that good in Dallas as compared to the nut jobs in some cities.
    theSHOW, jobberone and BigStar like this.
  10. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,557 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Yep me too. Pittsburgh is a notoriously myopic city. Their televisions are consistently low for other sporting events that don't involve their teams and they seem to be in a bubble. Their fans are appalled that Bell and Blount played last night - it's not the Steeler way, they say. Better get used to it.
  11. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlh45ejii/7-tie-dallas-cowboys/

[IMG]
    Nice to know Forbes is not immune to a little bit of unnecessary sensationalism (lol).

Forbes's ranking formula: http://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2012/09/07/the-nfls-best-fans/
    The magazine ranked Dallas number 1 in best fans two years ago: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlh45glf/no-1-dallas-cowboys-2/

At the time, Forbes stated Dallas's ranking criteria consisted of:

Stadium Rank: 1
    Television Rank: 8
    Merchandise Rank: 2
    Social Media Rank: 8
    Fan Club Rank: 4

This year, the magazine said the criteria was:

Hometown Crowd Rank: 15
    TV Audience Rank: 13
    Stadium Attendance Rank: 1
    Social Media Rank: 7
    Merchandise Rank: 2

Well golly gee willikers Forbes. What's the deal with "Fan Club Rank" and "Hometown Crowd Rank?" I wonder why Fan Club Rank was used two years ago and has been subsequently replaced with Hometown Crowd Rank? And what exactly goes into computing Hometown Crowd Rank when stadium attendance is made a separate datum? Hmm. Wait. What's that smell..? Limburger..?
    CowboyMike and casmith07 like this.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,625 Likes Received
    It kinda sorta depends what criteria you're looking for for your rankings. In the case of Dallas, or the Steelers for that matter, there certainly are a large number of fans, anyway. I don't think that should be the measure, though. I'm partial to the fans of downtrodden organizations who still show up enthusiastically after years of disappointment. Cleveland, maybe, or Kansas City would seem to be pretty good examples. Saints fans are a great example, though that team is good right now. They were awful for years and still had people dancing in the streets.
  13. Idgit

31,885 Messages
    7,625 Likes Received
    Well, there we go. Thanks.

On a side note, interesting that Dallas was 8 in television rank in 2012. That's lower than I'd ever have expected given the ratings numbers I've seen previously.
    theSHOW likes this.
  14. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,461 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    With bags over their heads.:)

And the part about downtrodden fans who keep showing up...well, Cowboys fans could be considered a part of that group since 8-8 is akin to 0-16 to a lot of folks around here.
    theSHOW and Idgit like this.
  15. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,451 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    Best Dumbest Fans
  16. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,139 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure the town actually owns the team, so they aren't going anywhere.
  17. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

634 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    Are you agreeing then? They bought the team for a reason.

As for my thoughts on this, I posted the other day in the other section of the forum that I thought Cleveland belonged at or near the top of this list.
  18. RoboQB

RoboQB Active Member

455 Messages
    156 Likes Received
    I would base it on the attending stadium fans, mostly.
    Here's my list:

GB - Okay, the town owns the team...Then there's the Lombardi mystique (only because Landry gave Vince his def. playbook)
    They have a lot of fans around the country as well.
    Pit. - I went to Three Rivers Stadium once... snow swirling around... the night before we went out and everyone was wearing
    black and gold.... EVERYONE!.... also probably the most well-traveled fan base.
    KC - It's an outdoor stadium and loud as hell... an older stadium that didn't have the money backing like the next team on the list.
    Also, love how the fans are college-like with the sea of red... always looks like a tough place to play while I'm sitting on my couch.
    Sea. - Gotta hand it to them... the old Kingdome was loud... they kept that as a design key while building the outdoor stadium.
    Balt. - Now, I've been to several games here including Ray Lewis' last game. (playoff win over Indy)... the fans are loud and intense...
    plus a true Ravens fan absolutely despises the Redskins and their fans... that alone is enough for this list.

Okay, this got windy so I'm wrapping it up... Honorable mention goes to Chicago and Denver... also, if Buffalo and Oakland ever
    put a winner back on the field, you'd see their fans mentioned in this way.

I would love to put Dallas on this list but everyone is too mesmerized by that huge screen above the field... It reminds me of one of
    those Batman movies where the Riddler makes everyone stare into the TV.
  19. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,471 Messages
    1,630 Likes Received
    No way Denver isn't #1, IMO, not that #2 is far off.
  20. Idgit

31,885 Messages
    7,625 Likes Received
    Yeah. Not sure how demoralized the last few years have made them, but my experience with them, they were really great fans, overall. Loyal. They knew the team stunk, but they loved Browns football, anyway.
    BigStar likes this.