1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Forbes: Top 10 Most Disliked Athletes (Guess who's at #10)

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, Feb 5, 2013.

1. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,899 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    This article sums up the internet, media, and society in general.

People are just idiots.
  2. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

11,838 Messages
    379 Likes Received

That IS rough, a gal liking John Mayer (JOHN MAYER FOR CHUSAKES!!!) more than she likes Romo. Very rough losing out to a geek like Mayer.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    What on earth did he do?
    He's a bit of a knucklehead, no doubt, but straight as can be and pretty harmless.
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I don't think most cowboy fans realize the perception of Romo outside of the cowboys fan base. Everyone football fan I have ever spoken to (who isn't Dallas Cowboy football fan) is disguised at how Romo receives so many accolades and has yet to produce anything. You have to remember..within Romo second year as starter the media and fans were anointing him as 'the one'. I specifically remember some ex players having a problem with that as they stated that Romo need to produce before getting labeled as elite. Throw on top of all of this his celebrity dating spree early in his career and fact that he plays on media lightening rod of a team and you can see where this is going.
  5. DFWJC

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    What accolades might you be referring to?
    Certainly not recently.
    The guy gets bashed way more often than most QBs.
  6. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Active Member

835 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    No other QB is as hated among his own fans, so why is it so hard to believe that the rest of the country would follow suit. One of our short bussers even believes he should be #1 on the list.

Amazing how the anti-Romo contingent is so mystified about this list. Be happy, you diligence has paid off handsomely.
  7. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I specifically remember even ex cowboy players saying lets not get ahead of our selves early in Romo career. I remember being annoyed they were making those comments because just like so many cowboy fans - I really wanted Romo to be the one. Now in hind sight I can understand why they were saying tab the breaks on Romo until he wins in playoffs.
  8. DFWJC

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Yeah. I recall that too.
    But not really in modern history--as in the last 5 years or so.

I do think dating Jessica Simpson early on hurt him in the national perspective. Fair or not. I some forget that she was just a local girl and Cowboy fan--who was probably even more starry-eyed than he was over dating him.
    That was a lifetime ago though.
    The dude is happily married, a father, and an overall good person.
  9. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue

2,221 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Quoted for truth.
  10. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

671 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    If Romo was in a small-market town like Jacksonville, he probably would not be on this list.

The hype from the owner and the media set him up to fail unless he really was the 2nd coming of Staubach.
  11. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,027 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The way I see Romo's coverage in the media in this decade.

1. Criticism for too many accolades
    2. General criticism (a close second)
    3. Accolades (a distant third)
  12. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,171 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    There is no probably, he wouldn't be.
  13. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

869 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    I saw this on another site and think it's absolutely absurd. Tony Romo is a stand-up and fun guy. He's never gone to prison for torturing animals (like another QB I can think of). He's never been busted for drugs. He's never beat up his wife/girlfriend. He's simply hated for being the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Way back when Staubach was hated for absolutely no good reason, despite being the most stand-up guy you could ask for.
  14. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

671 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    ^ a sports announcer (Captain Who?) once accused Staubach (Captain America) of "running like a sissy"

CBS fired the announcer the next day. :laugh2:
  15. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

869 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    LOL. I did not know that. Thanks.
  16. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received

I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure many others feel the same. I don't think Tony is a top tier QB. I wish we had a much better QB. I don't think Romo will ever win anywhere, because he just doesn't have what it takes.

I think the only reason many on here label those of us wanting an upgrade in our QB 'haters" is because they are so in love with Romo (for whatever reason), that they take any criticism of him as people hating on him. That's not true.

I don't hate Tony Romo. Don't know why anyone would. He's not a egomaniac or anything. Matter of fact, he seems like a likeable enough guy.
    He has a nice family, money, and hopefully he will have a great post career life.

Good Luck Tony. Sail off into retirement and enjoy life. You can start tomorrow if you want!
  17. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,902 Messages
    867 Likes Received
    You wouldn't have a problem with Tony Romo being #1? He shouldn't be in the top 100 let alone top 10...he just happens to be quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.

When was Drew Bledsoe ever overrated? He was plenty successful in the NFL.

Do you think Joe Flacco wins a SB without his good OL, great RB, good defense and great HC?:confused:

Tony Romo is ENTIRELY capable of winning a SB with the right amount of support. Seeing Joe Flacco do it should be proof enough.:laugh2:
  18. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Active Member

954 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    how did rothlisberger not even make the list is what i am trying to figure out:cool:
  19. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,860 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    He went to Jareds. ;)
  20. Bane

Bane New Member

25 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Only reason Romo is on that list is because alot of people love to hate us and Tony Romo is the face of the franchise as our QB. I honestly kinda feel bad for him, he gets too much unwarranted hate because people don't take the offensive line and playcalling problems into consideration....