1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Former advisor says Vince Young needed $300k loan for birthday party

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Feb 12, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,659 Messages
    1,485 Likes Received
    Last September, weeks after the Bills cut Vince Young, the attorney for the former first-round pick suggested that Young was close to broke even though he signed a contract in 2006 that guaranteed him $26 million. (In related news: reportedly spending $5,000 a week at the Cheesecake Factory doesn't qualify as a sound financial plan.)

Young's story isn't unusual; in fact, it's often the all-too-familiar conclusion to what happens when fame, fortune and all that goes with it are thrust upon 20-something athletes with no idea how to deal with either. (ESPN's 30 for 30 devoted a documentary to the phenomenon.)

Also not unusual: Young's situation will get worse before it gets better. Which brings us to the latest revelation, courtesy of Young's former financial advisor, who said that he arranged a seven-figure, high-interest loan for Young during the 2011 lockout so the quarterback could throw himself a $300,000 birthday party -- even though Young was low on funds at the time.

First, what does a $300,000 birthday party look like? There better be real-life transformers and time machines because anything less than that is a rip-off. Second, who's the financial advisor that greenlights a seven-figure loan knowing full well that his client is pretty much broke? That sounds more like your drunk college roommate who thinks using the last $20 in your bank account to buy six cases of Milwaukee's Best is a great idea -- except 15,000 times worse.

Anyway, we know about Young's predicament because the Associated Press obtained a transcript of the deposition given by Ronnie Peoples, president and CEO of Peoples Financial Service Inc. Peoples said last month that he contacted Pro Player Funding LLC about the loan after learning that Young had already paid for the party.

"'I think we still would have been OK to go ahead and survive until the next season, but (Young) had a birthday event coming up that he paid 300 and some thousand dollars for,'' Peoples testified. ''That's what prompted that call (to ProPlayers Funding).''

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21693626/former-advisor-says-vince-young-needed-$300k-loan-for-birthday-party
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,927 Messages
    7,679 Likes Received
    Trying to muster up some sympathy. Failing.
  3. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Why do you need to have a $300,000 bday party?
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    lmao, I couldn't help but laugh at that
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,501 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    Did he rent out the Eiffel Tower and transport his posse across the ocean?
  6. Tricked

Tricked Fascinated

660 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-adviser-young-needed-loan-183744746--nfl.html

apparently Young is challenging this allegation

20 percent interest on a $1.9 million dollar loan?!?!?! I wouldn't even get a basic credit card with that high of interest.

7. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I always find it odd when people pay for their own birthday parties to begin with.

Less is more when it comes to personal days like that.

Throwing some big bash that you pay for is for everyone else...not you. Get a clue Vince.
  8. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

990 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    How can you blow 5,000 at the cheescake factory???
  9. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

990 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Yes exactly.. especially when you have to buy your own liquor too.
  10. SkinsandTerps

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Buying the bar for people. And doing that on a regular basis.

Hell, I think at that time the average per guest was only about 20 bucks. That's 250 (worth of) people per week he was paying for.

Sure the bartenders/servers probably let the other guests know...Vince has your bill...and they went all out.

He would have been better served stocking up on fine liquors, and ordering Cheesecake food to go if he loved the place that much. Surely that is less than over a quarter mil.
  11. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

932 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    What was his Wunderlich score?
  12. Tricked

Tricked Fascinated

660 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Low enough for him to demand a recount :laugh2:
  13. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

971 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I find it odd in this situation but with everyone else, you have to factor in the reasoning and/or what class that person is in.

A lot of folks pay for their own birthday parties because they probably see it as a gathering instead of a party and can afford that to happen. Others use their birthday party as a way to make a profit by renting out a place and then charging people who attend or buy drinks.

In this case, it is odd because this was a loan to fund this party instead of his own money.
  14. SkinsandTerps

7,406 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I disagree. I find that most people that throw these lavish parties for themselves on their own dime are simply ignorant and out of touch with their surroundings.

I could afford to throw a huge bash, A Vince type of bash...but really do I need that kind of attention for a stupid birthday ? That is irresponsible.

When they have these bashes at clubs...the club is paying for them (I know some club owners and promoters). I went to one a few weeks back that had open bar for a couple hours (no cover). The birthday boy didn't spend a dime. The club writes it of and it is promotional.
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Is anyone really surprised. You see this all the time with athlete's.

I don't feel sorry at all for him.
  16. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

932 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Its all in upbringing by the parents in my opinion...or at least 90 percent. If one sees the NFL as a way out of poverty but doesn't have parents who successfully manage money and restrain themselves, then I think the fans are party responsible for these guys getting the false "invincible" mentality. They haven't had anybody else to tell them they have to use some restraint when "making it big"

I teach high school and often from one class and student to another...I can feel like I'm either babysitting toddlers or mentoring college students. Its all about the values taught and engrained at an early age.

Having 2 fiscally responsible and hard-working parents is something alot of these guys don't have.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,093 Messages
    1,940 Likes Received
  18. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    I agree to a point. But even if someone doesn't have that, a grown man knows better. We as a society, use the "up bringing" as an excuse way to much. Everyone has enough access to information now a days, to make wise decisions. His ego got the better of him. There are plenty of examples, were folks had a tough life and became successful or outstanding citizens.
  19. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,454 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Do you think he can spell it?