1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Former NFL TE Todd Christensen dies

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 13, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,385 Messages
    4,343 Likes Received
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Wow. That's sad.
  3. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    He flamed out early so he doesn't get the historical HOF type recognition, but in his prime he was a whale of a player. He put up WR #s as a TE in an era where no one else not named Kellen Winslow did it.

Fantastic football player, and I thought he did a good job as a color guy on NBC also. RIP Todd.
    jobberone and Duane like this.
  4. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

810 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    RIP. I remember how much of a nightmare match up problem he and Mark Bavaro were for my Skins every time we played against either the Raiders or Giants back then. Truly one of the best.
  5. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Active Member

941 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Sorry to hear that. He was a great player. He was a Cowboy for a brief period, but he made his mark as a Raider. He was a good commentator too.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,902 Messages
    349 Likes Received
    Wow, out of nowhere type of very sad unwelcome news. What a tremendous player he was for a while in the league. RIP.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    This is a real shocker for sure. 57 is way too young to be dead. What could have been for the Cowboys and Christensen.

RIP Todd Jay Christensen.
    jobberone likes this.
  8. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,077 Messages
    827 Likes Received
    The sad thing is the cowboys drafted him as a fb. He broke a foot or leg his rookie yr and was out for the season.
    It was the cowboys who suggested moving him to TE. He practiced at that position for a while and told coach Landry that he would not change positions and coach waived him..... The rest is history...?went on to be a pro bowler with the raiders at TE
    jobberone and Duane like this.
  9. JJB500

JJB500 Member

322 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Wow just way too young!!!! RIP............
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,372 Messages
    3,665 Likes Received
    Really wish he had not been miscast here.

RIP Todd.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    That's very sad. RIP.
  12. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,621 Messages
    3,346 Likes Received
    Landry tried to move him away from RB but Todd refused. Got picked up by Raiders and next time I see him he's playing TE which angered me. Just like @bark said. Sad news indeed.
    bark likes this.
  13. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,762 Messages
    931 Likes Received
    Are you saying he flamed out during the early stages of his career? Or his career didn't last long enough? He was 31 during his last very good year. Winslow was 30 during his last season. Christensen did take a while to get his career started. He really didn't produce until his 5th year in the league while on his 3rd team and by then he was already 26 years old. Great tight end during his prime. He and Ozzie Newsome were both drafted in 1978 and Kellen Winslow was drafted in 1979. Incredible that three great tight ends came into the league so close together.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,511 Messages
    1,499 Likes Received
    Dan Ross and Doug Cosbie also got drafted in 79. Not up to the likes of Ozzie, Winslow and Christensen but both were pretty darn good TEs in their own rights.