1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Former Pro Bowl safety Everett tackles coaching By RICK HERRIN

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Oct 5, 2005.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    Former Pro Bowl safety Everett tackles coaching

[IMG]
    [size=-1]By RICK HERRIN[/size]
    [IMG]
    [size=-1]Star-Telegram Staff Writer[/size]
    [IMG]

CARROLLTON - Thomas Everett was part of one of the best trades an NFL player could ever imagine.

Everett was traded from Pittsburgh to Dallas in 1992 and was part of back-to-back Super Bowl champions with the Cowboys. He spent only two years back in his home state but came away with his career fulfilled.

Everett, who played at Daingerfield and Baylor, retired after the 1995 season with Tampa Bay and is now in his first year as defensive coordinator at Carrollton American Heritage private school.

Everett's long-term coaching goal is to become a head coach at some level.

Do you consider your trade to Dallas as the best move you could have wished for?

I think all professionals would like to get traded to that environment and that kind of scenario. It was a good one. It was terrific, and I got traded right back here to my home.

Which Super Bowl was more meaningful to you?

Probably the first one. I think that's the goal of every athlete. I got an opportunity to play in it and make some big plays. It was a blessing. It was really terrific.

Which Super Bowl team was better, 1992 or 1993?

They were both pretty doggone good. I don't know. Probably the second Super Bowl was the better team. We had grown more as a unit, and I think if we had kept them together the next year, it would have been the best.

What are your long-term coaching aspirations?

I guess this is one of the stepping stones. I've done the internship with the Cleveland Browns. I have been in talks with the World League and something may develop there next year. Coaching is just something that's in my blood and it's natural for me. I seem to be having lots of success doing it.

What's your defensive coaching style?

I believe a lot of the physical aspects of it come from the Pittsburgh days. It came from just being around that team and those athletes there and that organization. When I played there, we had that kind of an attitude -- that physical style.

IN THE KNOW

Thomas Everett

Position: Safety

Career: Steelers, 1987-91; Cowboys, 1992-93; Buccaneers, 1994-95.

Highlights: Selected to Pro Bowl in 1993. ... Played on two Super Bowl champions with Dallas. ... Had two interceptions in Super Bowl XXVII in victory against Buffalo in 1992. ... Two-time All-America at Baylor. ... Won inaugural Jim Thorpe Award winner (top defensive back) in 1986. ... 1986 Southwest Conference Athlete of the Year.

Residence: Dallas

Occupation: Carrollton American Heritage defensive coordinator. Also owns and operates Crossroads Training in Dallas.

Notable: Brother Eric Everett was a safety on Daingerfield's 1983 Class 3A state champion. ... Started at free and strong safety with the Cowboys. ... Attends Covenant Church in Carrollton.
  2. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    The Hitman !!
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Great pick up for the team. Really helped solidify the secondary.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,203 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Why was he traded to the Bucs? Who was the FS who replaced him? Stoutmire?
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Woodson was at strong safety and James Washington at free safety. Then after 1994 Brock Marion was the FS.

I don't know if he was traded or just not re-signed. Can't remember the particulars.