1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fox News - Stimulus Petition

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/02/11/kerpen_stimulus_petition/

February 11th, 2009 12:09 PM Eastern

Our No Stimulus Petition Strikes a Chord With Americans

By Phil Kerpen
    Director of Policy, Americans for Prosperity

Our NoStimulus.com Web site and petition has caught fire, with an unprecedented tidal wave of grassroots outrage. More than 350,000 Americans have signed the petiton, with the bulk of the signatures (300,000) coming in over just the last two days.

On Monday interest in our petition was so high that traffic crashed our server. We were back up with three servers just two hours later but those were overtaxed and knocked out in just five minutes! We now have 10 servers at our disposal and things seems to be holding. The Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 is jammed as well. As I wrote Monday in the FOX Forum, this is far from over. Keep up the fight! Sign the petition at NoStimulus.com!

2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,042 Messages
    3,277 Likes Received
    Now we just need MSNBC to start up a site.

Then we could have...

[IMG]

Wingnut twins powers Activate
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Form of Jens tampon. :lmao:
  4. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of those 350,000, how many actually understand the bill? Our elected officials act in the interest of their constituents, not at their direction.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received

The same arguement can be made in the other direction. Of those in favor, how many actually know and understand what all is contained in this Bill? IMO, that is a very large part of the problem.

Discussion and debate should be taking place and it's not.
  6. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    The more information coming out about the bill I think many understand it very well and understand that 800 billion is a hell of a lot of money and will have a very long impact on this nation.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,802 Messages
    557 Likes Received

:lmao:

I heard the same thing said about the "patriot" Act.

Did not buy it then either.
  8. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh, I agree totally. Most people, regardless of their views on the bill, don't really understand it and only parrot what they hear from whichever news outlet they trust. Honestly, discussion and debate doesn't need to be happening with the average American because most of us don't have the proper background to understand what the bill entails.

Now, the people on the hill should be debating this at length and bringing in economists, think tanks, political scientists, philosophers, etc and coming to the proper decision. All of that should be broadcast to the American people so that, if they care to pay attention, they can come to their own conclusions. Instead we have commentary shows where Sean Hannity says exactly why we can't let this bill pass and Keith Olberman says exactly why we must get this passed. The American people think they are qualified to judge the bill because someone else tells them what they should think, not because they understand it.
  9. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    I have an old Dell laptop they could use for their web server :)

They don't get a lot of traffic at that site...lol.
  10. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not saying that those elected always do act in our best interest, but that's how the system is set up and that's why we elect them. If they do a bad job, then we stop electing them.
  11. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just because people understand that it is a lot of money does not mean that they understand what the long term impact will be.
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    then explain the 10% that healthcare spends on supporting them
  13. Doomsday101

75,409 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    I think people understand that when you are spending money you don't have the long term impact is going to be great and will be for a long time. We spent 350 billion and are about to spend the 2nd half another 350 billion, we are going to pass and spend over 800 billion and another round will be coming right behind that I think the American public is intelligent enough to know that this is money we don't have and it is going to hurt us in the long run.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,042 Messages
    3,277 Likes Received
    It is a what have you done with me lately or a veruca salt I want it now mentality today for many people.

Many don't care about long term problems if they are sucking hind teet and no job right now.

And when people do bring up things in bills that offer longer term solutions they get slapped down because it does not help now like some complaining that some things will not happen for at least two years.

It is our society today, not all of it, but enough of it.

And on a side note you make me angry because I did not intend on having a serious post today. INFIDEL!!!
  15. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Unfortunatly, Pelosi has repealed the Compact With America that allows for detailed reporting of Congressional Discussion. One of the first casualties of the Obama Administration.
  16. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry Summer, do you mean something in the stimulus bill or something else? I'm a little lost. :eek::
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I mean that congressmen take orders from those paying their way into office
  18. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,721 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Being a political junkie, I would love to watch the meetings between the Senate and House as the finish up the final version. I would love to know which Congresspersons is demanding certain items in the bill.
  19. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,680 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I'm sorry but that's just a little naive. Especially when it comes to Congress. They pander to political ideologies and special interests groups much more than they act in the best interest of their constituents IMO.

If an overwhelming number of their constituents are against something, and they vote for it anyway, how can that be viewed as the representatives acting in their best interests?? Is it a, "I know what's good for you better than you do" mindset? Seems more than a little patronizing.
  20. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's not naive, it's just how our system works. Those who represent us have to do a good job of it, otherwise they get replaced.

Saying that "I know what's good for you better than you do" isn't patronizing, it's just the reality sometimes. It's the basis of many of our laws. For instance, let's say that you are a totally gnarly surfer and I am the governor of Hawaii. Weather reports indicate that there is a massive storm coming, so I shut down access to the beaches in the spirit of public safety. You, however, feel like you deserve the freedom to ride any wave, because "It's the ocean man, it belongs to everyone". Unfortunately for you, I have police cutting off traffic flow.

Who is acting in your best interest, me or you? Maybe you don't really understand how bad the storm is. Maybe you haven't heard the reports of 50 foot waves out at sea. Maybe you aren't aware that a couple of other surfers were killed earlier that day, trying to do the same thing as you.

Officials can sometimes act in our best interest, even if it's against our wishes, because a lot of times we don't fully understand the situation at hand.