1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FOX SW: Cowboys won't restrict Bryant's hoop dreams

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Cowboys won't restrict Bryant's hoop dreams
    by Mike Fisher

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...g_cowboys.html?blockID=778707&feedID=4679

SAN DIEGO — It is commonplace in the NFL for teams to restrict players from offseason activities that might put them at injury risk. Skiing. Skydiving. That sort of thing.

But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones bristled at such a suggestion during an interview Tuesday with Dallas radio station KRLD-FM (105.3).

The topic was Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant, whose passion for basketball matches his passion for football — which might have something to do with his patella tendonitis problem.

"He's a young player and should be able to do about anything that he wants to do," Jones said during the "New School" program. "I don't think it has anything to do with anything away from football.”

Bryant, a budding star entering his third season in the NFL, limped away from practice Monday in San Diego with a leg injury. The Cowboys immediately performed a magnetic resonance imaging exam on his right knee and the diagnosis came back as patella tendonitis — known in basketball as "jumper's knee."...
  2. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,608 Messages
    3,867 Likes Received
    Chondromalacia. I'm ambivalent about playing basketball. Great way to keep in shape but you do get dinged up fairly often with ankles and fingers etc.
  3. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    me too. I always roll my ankle or jam my fingers. I heart my knee sometimes or get shine splints.
  4. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

977 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I'd get jumpers knee back in college - from playing too much basketball. Never bothered me playing football, only in the off season. I get it a little now when I play bb, but I use this brace/belt gizmo for jumpers knee that really helps.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    I have no issue with Bryant playing basketball. Beats hanging out in clubs and getting drunk or stoned. Those tend the be the hobbies I object to. Keeping in shape on a basketball court as well as keeping competitive juices flowing I can live with.

Then again I had no issue with Walt Garrison riding on the rodeo circuit during the off season when he was playing in Dallas. But then Walt was a real man! :laugh2:
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I was getting some conditioning a little running the court with a basketball class of one of our coaches. He let me join his class to get some running in. I went up for a rebound all by myself, and tucked the ball going down. I landed on my foot wrong and blew my ankle out. Seven days before two-a-days were to start....yep, out for that season. I guess I understand a little how Nagy felt.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Walt was riding a horse leaped from it grabing a steer by the horns and wrestling him to the ground. Went out and did his job during the season.

As Meredith said you need 5 yards Walt will get you 5 yards, you need 10 yards Walt will give you 5 yards. :laugh1:
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,938 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Don Perkins knew when it was time to give Walt Garrison his reign in the Dallas backfield.

Curious here, ever ride a bull?
  9. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Did you just compare Dez to Walt Garrison?

Walt: A little pinch between the cheek and gum.

Dez: A little punch to the cheek of Mom.

Couldn't help myself!
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  11. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......TRULY!!!!!:bow: :bow:

ps-DUMB to allow dez to hoop IMO but......playas gonna play so let the chips fall where they may (yeah, I know: I'm a poet and don't know it)