1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Franchise First: Sean Lee Wins NFC Defensive Player of the Month Award *Merge*

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Yuma Cactus, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Posted by nickeatman at 9/28/2011 3:33 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com
    For the first time in Cowboys history, a player has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Month.

That would be the surprise element here, not the actual player who received the honor. Certainly it would be linebacker Sean Lee, who has been a phenomenal in three games this year.

Just before the start of the season, the Cowboys named Lee a starter, which forced veterans Keith Brooking and Bradie James into a rotation. That move has proven to be one of the best made by the Cowboys and new coordinator Rob Ryan.

Read the rest: http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/nick_eatman.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=1990bfd1-c6a9-4728-af3f-a229e85b981c&plckPostId=Blog%3a1990bfd1-c6a9-4728-af3f-a229e85b981cPost%3aff728c29-88cc-44cf-a7cc-7f8567bfa051&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. Yuma Cactus

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Even though Lee has been awesome, I would still say D Ware has been the best defensive player for the 'Boys.
  3. Christiann

Christiann Active Member

534 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    :d :d :d :d
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  5. 88ZONE

88ZONE Member

37 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well deserved. On monday night, all I had to do was focus on Lee during the game to see where the ball was.

He has football spidey sense. What a player. Great things to come in the future. Congrats Lee! :starspin
  6. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,550 Messages
    700 Likes Received
    Ware would've had an incredible Monday night. He was robbed then jobbed.

I won't take anything away from Lee. I look forward to games just to watch this kid play.
  7. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,186 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    Some guys just have it. From what I've seen, this guy has a nose for the ball.

I swear he has impressed me more in 3 weeks than James has in (how long has James been here?).
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,056 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    WOW! Well deserved. He's been everywhere
  9. fiveandcounting

fiveandcounting New Member

1,592 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    thats a shockingly bad piece of informaiton, in 50 years we have never had a def player of the month for half the league?
  10. dougonthebench

dougonthebench Cowboys Forever

2,403 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I said a while back, that I believe Lee has the potential to be great one day. Then I was quickly told "not to drink the kool aid". He's playing liked I hoped he would.
  11. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Shocked me as well. But I wonder how long they have been handing that out. Can't be for 50 years. Otherwise, it would be a meaningless award if guys like Bob Lilly, Randy White or Too Tall never got it.

Anyone know how long this thing has been around?
  12. Yuma Cactus

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Since 1986.
  13. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,071 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So 25 years. Well, it makes a bit more sense now.
  15. Astiees

Astiees New Member

7 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Cowboys second-year inside linebacker Sean Lee made his first career start in the season opener at the New York Jets and led the team with a career-best 15 tackles. He also added a 37-yard interception return which set the offense up at first and goal from the one-yard line and had one fumble recovery for his second career multiple takeaway game. In the overtime win at San Francisco, he posted a team best 13 tackles. Against Washington, Lee once again led the club with eight tackles, had a tackle for loss, two pass breakups and two more takeaways - an interception returned for 14 yards which set up a 27-yard field goal and a fumble recovery to seal the win. In his first three games, Lee has recorded four takeaways, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries, while leading the club in tackles in all three games with a current total of 36 stops. He has also added one tackle for loss and three pass breakups.

Sean Lee is the first Cowboy player to be named NFC Defensive Player of the Month since the award began in 1986 and he becomes the first monthly winner since Tony Romo won NFC Offensive Player of the Month for his play in November of 2009."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/cowboys-lb-sean-lee-named-nfc.html
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Congrats to him. He's been the best middle linebacker so far 3 weeks in and the second best defensive player behind his teammate Ware.
  17. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    huge honor--only a handful of them each year
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,530 Messages
    3,835 Likes Received
    Way to go General Lee. :D
  19. GRD

GRD Benched

153 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,533 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Congrats to Lee. He has been lights out this year and has been a difference maker for this defense.

It's hard to believe Ware who is the best defensive player in the league has never won the award for being the best defensive player in half of the league for a single month in his career. If that is not bias, I don't know what bias is.