1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fred Thompson declares

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by AtlCB, Sep 6, 2007.

1. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is anyone else as underwhelmed about this information as I am. He's been unofficially running for months. Do you think this is a good or bad move by Fred Thompson? Guiliani still appears to be the Repubs best shot at beating Hillary, but Thompson's numbers may go up now that he has officially announced. I'm still sitting on the fence in regards to which major candidate I will support. I'd like to vote for Ron Paul, but he will not make it out of the primary.
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    In the words of Al Swearengen....It's about time he declared or shut the bleep up" :D
  3. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,532 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I decided last night - if Guliani wins the nomination, I'm cancelling 1 neo-con vote out.

That's right - if my worse case scenario occurs - I'm voting for a dem for the first time in my life in a presidential election.

It won't be a third party vote I'll cast - it will be a rino vote I'lll negate.

And I won't even lose much sleep over it.
  4. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I'm underwhelmed by the prospect of any of the current field on either side of the aisle taking office in two years time.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,202 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    actually i think hillary is the best shot the repubs have to win.

i will say in the last debate she swayed me some and it's hard to keep an open mind, but it's all i can do now - stay open and listen.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,901 Messages
    4,247 Likes Received
    If you guys get a chance to catch last night's republican debate, either on a rerun on fox or on youtube.

You need to catch the start of it as they open up with the commentators asking the first question about Thompson just getting ready to declare but passing up on the debate to appear on Leno.

Those guys were making some good jokes about Thompson.
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Do you know why most of them were joking so much? Ill tell you...they are worried about Thompson.

They should be worried.

I will go on record right now and say that Thompson will be the front runner in the next 21 days.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,225 Messages
    1,167 Likes Received
    Dang, there goes a lot of good re-runs of Law & Order that won't be aired.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    It's up on youtube now.

LINK (Debate Part I)
  10. Eric_Boyer

4,532 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    We should all be worried. The man is a Washington Lobbyist and has proved to be weak on immigration. He also was a major player in the McCain campaign finance idiocy. He's a freaking member of the CFR - don't expect anything short of amnesty with this one. The media is selling American's out by creating their own front runners.

Outside of Paul some other actual conservatives do exist in this election. If the Republican party chooses to not advance conservatism, the party is dead. Hunter, Tancredo, and Huckabee are pro-war conservatives and would garner my vote regardless of our foreign policy differences. The so called front runners are not conservative.
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Thanks for the link Sass ..... I looked for it earlier and could not find it.
  12. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Yea I would like to read more about Huckabee's version of the fair tax.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,901 Messages
    4,247 Likes Received
    I was actually cheering, sad I know, at home when Paul said he gets his marching orders from the constitution and the time he called out the...NEOCONS. :D
  14. Sasquatch

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Ron Paul participated in that debate? You would have never known by watching it. He got the George Stephanopolous treatment.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

60,901 Messages
    4,247 Likes Received
    Guess you did not watch it.

Now I think I get your point about him not getting much time but clearly the best part of the whole debate was when Paul and Huckabee were going at each other and the neocon host tried to throw a cheap shot in on paul only for paul to retort that he gets his orders from the constitution.
  16. Eric_Boyer

4,532 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    It took 30 minutes for him to get his first real question (the question they all got regarding Fred Thompson doesn't count), but he actually received over 12 minutes in the debate. That doubled the amount of time Stephanopolous gave him.

I'm much more annoyed by the laughing that went on every time he was introduced. The camera never panned out to allow us to see who was being so rude - I suspect Guliani.
  17. Sasquatch

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    I'm watching the debate right now. The first question he got was on Thompson (always important to know a presidential candidate's position on Fred Thompson) and the second one was on allowing airlines to provide their own security. He was totally cut out from the discussions on immigration and abortion.
  18. Eric_Boyer

4,532 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    I know - I'm not saying he was treated fairly - just better then I expected.

Plus - it's not like immigration and abortion are important to republicans. :(
  19. Sasquatch

4,483 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Wallace, Chris Wallace, hit man for the GOP front runners.

Ron Paul seemed genuinely angry during the exchange.

I really wish they would just give the candidates a few minutes to explain their views on each issue, perhaps a little time to rebut some other ideas, and eliminate the media talking heads altogether.

The Fox intro lasted nearly 10 minutes.
  20. zrinkill

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Or democrats ...... :(