1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Frederick to get snaps at Guard per Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jul 20, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,099 Messages
    4,574 Likes Received
    JULY 20, 2013

Cowboys want to get a look at Travis Frederick at guard in training camp, Garrett says

The Cowboys have been impressed by the way rookie center Travis Frederick dived into his job. He is just about set as the starting center.

But they still want to get a look at him at guard, coach Jason Garrett said.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...training-camp-garrett-says.html#storylink=cpy
    keds likes this.
  2. jobberone

39,099 Messages
    4,574 Likes Received
    This should get some traffic. I thought they might get him some snaps at C and G. I'm not going to get surprised if they don't work him into the starting rotation. Then again I won't be surprised if he starts somewhere.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Yeah the article does read like he will spend most of his time at center, but maintaining his position flexibility is always a plus so they will play him at guard some also.

Where he ends up, who knows, alot depends on how the rest perform especially Costa.
  4. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,459 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Why do headlines always seem intentionally deceptive? The story is accurate, but the headline's emphasis is exactly opposite of Garrett's emphasis.
  5. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,445 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Leary and LIvings are injured per the star telegram.
  6. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Excellent, excellent news.

This shows they're open to getting the best FIVE OL on the field. It gives them flexibility with Leary and especially Livings being banged up right now.

Hey, if Frederick can play guard and is better than Bernadeau, keep him at guard and let Costa play center. Let Leary and Livings battle it out for the other guard spot.

Smith-Livings-Costa-Frederick-Free

I hope Leary beats out Livings but I'm not holding my breath. I doubt they'd want that much youth on the interior OL.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Put it this way, he needs to be an upgrade at at least one of three positions. Dont see him at LG though and I dont think you draft RG round one.
  8. jobberone

39,099 Messages
    4,574 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with the title. Says they will look at him some at G. Not surprising to most I would think.
  9. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,679 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Smart move. Kid looks to be talented and I'd like to see what he can do at all positions
  10. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,940 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Made ya click! :p
  11. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,730 Messages
    1,811 Likes Received
    Off topic...but your dog is soooo cool looking! I bet he is a hoot to play with!

:D
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,681 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    The lad getting snaps at guard isn't a bad thing.
  13. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,214 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Phil Hogan will be the starting center
  14. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,602 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Bottom line, even as a rookie he's probably better than all of last year's interior linemen,,, so Costa/Livings/Bernaadeau et al need to battle it out to see who sucks the least!
  15. 03EBZ06

03EBZ06 Need2Speed

7,979 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Cross training provides flexibility so I'm all for it.
  16. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,461 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    Broaddus suggested Costa's spot is center in this new scheme where he can zone block. So if you use Frederick at guard because Costa can now handle center, then haven't you addressed two issues instead of one with a draft pick?

This could be a very smart move if it works.

Now what happens to right tackle and left guard become the focal point of the offensive line. This mathematically trims the questionable areas by 50% if both Costa and Frederick work out at their prospective positions.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    this isnt complicated folks. you want to play or best 5 guys.
    part of fredericks appeal is that he can play both C and G.
    if he needs to play Guard because the next healthy guy up is far worse a G than Costa is a C so be it.
    larry allen bounced around early. so did andre gurode.
    they call that talent and positional flexibility.
  18. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    yeah costa sucks at right guard so let's play him at center, the most important position on the offensive line where he still sucks. Thats smart!
  19. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,461 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    I guess you missed the part where Broaddus suggested Costa is better at zone blocking than the man-up they played when he looked the worst. And that the team is going to play zone this year.

Don't allow that fact to interrupt your straw man.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,501 Likes Received
    Costa graded higher at Center last year than Tyron Smith at LT.
    Can Costa do that for any real stretch of games? No idea. I (as you) saw him play 2 years ago and he was terrible.
    But I do know our Guards were fairly terrible.
    If Livings and Leary are out injured more than a couple weeks of camp I am ALL for starting Frederick at OG where his physicality will carry him and not ask him to deal with the technique stuff at OC this year.
    Then next year we can again look in rounds 2-3 for a starting caliber OG (either move Frederick to C or allow him to stay at LG next to Smith) and hopefully have this line in good shape for years to come.

If the Guards on this roster step up Frederick will be a Center for his career here.
    If they play like they have the last couple seasons it is very possible Frederick ends up at OG for a season.
    jobberone likes this.