1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Frederick to get snaps at Guard per Garrett

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jul 20, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,546 Messages
    3,831 Likes Received
    No problem with Costa at C and Fred at G at least for a year or so. You can do that and possibly carry one less lineman and have good flexibility for the game day roster.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Why would you even check that?
    OhSnap likes this.
  3. jobberone

37,546 Messages
    3,831 Likes Received
    I like my eyes when it comes to football but I also like to look at the stats to see if they conflict.
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    You mean the one full game Costa played last season? Come on, now.
  5. jobberone

37,546 Messages
    3,831 Likes Received
    Absolutely can't quote his stats for reference last year because of the small sample size but they still confirm each other. So you trust your eyes a little more....maybe.
  6. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,507 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    Season hasn't even began and we are already discussing injuries to an OLINE that was already horrible.. These issues should've been addresses during the last 6 months!!!!
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,133 Messages
    4,330 Likes Received
    Why is that?
  8. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Wasn't one of the knocks on Fred that he had poor feet when trying to pull as a guard at Wisconsin? I do support the, "get our 5 best oline on the field," though.
  9. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,044 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Per Walter Football

Weaknesses:
    • Must improve pass protection against speed rushers
    • Lacks athleticism
    • Needs to improve knee bend, pad level
    • Slow
    • Not great at pulling
  10. jobberone

37,546 Messages
    3,831 Likes Received
    Must improve pass protection against speed rushers - Not a great problem inside

Lacks athleticism - No he isn't real agile or quick so you can probably not look for a lot of screens. However we don't run screens much although maybe that's because we don't have athletic OL in the interior.

Needs to improve knee bend, pad level - Yeah he stans up pretty tall at times but he seems to have the strength for it. However, some DTs will drive him into Romo's lap if he consistently does that.

Slow
    Not great at pulling - these kind of go together along with athleticism but he'll most skip block and not do a lot of pulling. I'm not ready to write off doing some trapping, pulling, and lead trap/skip blocks with this guy. If you want him out on the periphery then I tend to agree although I suspect he can get to the edge. You may see the guy leading sweeps. I just don't know but I tend to agree he's not getting too far off tackle.

Too early to tell a lot but can't ignore his film either.
  11. slick325

slick325 Well-Known Member

1,910 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Hate hearing this news so early. I would much rather Frederick concentrate on playing Center only in year one. The same way they made sure Tyron Smith played RT only in his 1st season. Rookies can get overwhelmed and often do. I am not the biggest Gosselin fan but he is correct in this statement.....:"Center is a key to a successful running game. He gets everyone lined up and gives the runner his first read at the handoff. And Frederick is from Wisconsin, historically one of the best rushing offenses in college football."

We have tried the Costa experiment. Although I am a Maryland Alum.....he is merely a solid depth guy. Leave Frederick at Center and solidify that spot for the next 10 seasons. Since Gurode it has been an issue be it Costa, Killer Kowalski, Ryan Cook or Mack B. Position Flex is great but Frederick need not worry about playing G until after TC when he has "mastered" the position he will start at...Center. Once Camp is over, once or twice a week in practice he can learn G techniques in order to prep for a situation where a G goes down and Costa comes in as the starting C shifting him to G. Although honestly, I would much rather him remain at Center while Mack B or Livings provide G depth (obviously that means I expect one of the G spots to be filled by Ron Leary).

Just my two pennies ladies and gents.
  12. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,066 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    It's fine to give him some snaps..which allows the other guys to see where they are by playing some center, too.

I just really think this guy needs to just start at center from Day 1 and let's let the other positions work themselves out. I really would not prefer to move him to G just to get somebody else of lesser talent at C, because their health is improving.

I don't want Romo getting those free shots from guys coming free up the middle on him anymore. Frederick needs to be Romo's bodyguard from the first snap. No G play just to get another player into the lineup.

Let them go play G if it's so important.

Leave Frederick alone. I want to see what he does by concentrating on one position his first year.

That's enough.
  13. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Leary is cheaper, younger, has much more upside, and Livings has been nothing but inconsistent and banged up IMO,

Any time the Cowboys can hit on an offensive lineman, it must be considered a big step in the right direction!
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,310 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    Doing my youtube scouting I felt that Freds lack of athleticism was overstated more than a little. First he was ~350 lbs and second the OL around him last year was not very good especially as opposed to the year before. Many times he would pull and have to go wide because the OG or OT was being shoved into the backfield.

I saw him get beat to the gap a couple of time but I also saw him beat up on some quality DT. He drives like a mack truck.

The main issue that I saw with him was that he wore down late in games. The key here however is that he is down to about 320 lbs. If it can pan out to a bit more agility that would be awesome. It is definitely something I look for in the PS games.
  15. TheSport78

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    Frederick sure seems like a right guard to me...
  16. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,542 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    Bill Callahan and Wade Phillips have 2 things in common in my mind, first neither are particularly good head coaches. However, they are 2 of the best in the NFL at placing players in a positions to be super effective. I completely trust the structuring of this OL to Bill.
  17. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,704 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    Give him some snaps, it can only make him better - perhaps he will recognize (as a center) what the guards should be doing on the field? One of Fred's (love the name btw :D) strengths is his intelligence...this can only help him develop IMO
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Of course.

Center is the most important postion on the line? You sure about that one? :)

I think the only position Costa can really play is center, actually. When he wasn't in agony last year, he was pretty good. I also am part of the faction that believes Frederick is a better guard than center (for now), so it seems to make sense to me that Frederick and Costa start.

I also think Frederick is a bit heavy for a center.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,155 Messages
    2,787 Likes Received
    That's an interesting point and one that I've thought about. I mean there's a reason why you don't see 320lb centers, where you do see 320lb guards.

I'm not sure how this is going to all pan out... But as long as they have the two best tackles on the field, the two best guards on the field and the best center... That's about as good as you can expect.
  20. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,824 Messages
    2,253 Likes Received
    Wasn't Ray Donaldson about 320? IIRC, that's about where he played at throughout his pro bowl career.

However, Stepnoski was so small that perhaps my mind is just making Donaldson that big, when in reality he was just a lot bigger than Step, but not 320 big.