1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Free agency will be the key

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by neosapien23, Dec 31, 2012.

1. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,763 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I think Dallas needs to bring in alot of mid to low priced free agents in the offseason. They don't need a big splash in free agency but rather a pick up of about 5 mid priced players to take the next step.

This is what the Cowboys should concentrate on in order to improve the team and complete the rebuild process.

Say goodbye to the undersized NT concept of the Dallas Cowboys. I think the team needs to bring in as many big bodies as it can get its hands on. I think the front office will bring in both Sammie Lee Hill and Terrance Knighton. Both players will get modest contracts and should not break the bank. Dallas needs more beef to stop the run and bringing in both players will allow the boys to draft a difference maker at DE. It will also allow the boys the option of rotating the NTs back and forth without losing size. This pickup is essential because it allows Lissemore and Ratliff (if he is still around) the move to DE full time where they can make a difference. While they are at it, why not bring in Brace in the offseason as well. Sure he has been a bust, but the boys got nothing to lose by bringing him in as a camp body.

The boys must bring in Slauson in FA. He is not a world beater, but he would allow Dallas the option of moving Bernadeu to center. The offensive line would get a big boost immediately and Dallas could still draft a guard high. Hell if Moore could be had as well I wouldn't mind signing him as well.

Dallas should bring in Kenny Philips. He has been a minor dissapointment in New York and will test Free agency. He can be had for a modest contract. Even if Johnson tears it up and Church regains form, he provides excellent depth in case of injuries.

Bring in Osi for Olber opposite Ware. He had a terrible year and will definitely not get paid this year. He was kissing some serious butt in New York. Wilber might actually outplay him in camp and win the SOLB spot, but Dallas needs depth. This is a low risk/high reward signing and in the very least, he is much better than Butler.

The reason I did not list a tackle is this team will not be able to afford one this year. Parnell will have to get a shot and the team will have to draft one as insurance.
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,492 Messages
    1,398 Likes Received
    Seems like a reasonable approach to FA.

My main thing is I don't think the Cowboys need to be chasing top tier FAs this offseason. No more $10m/year FAs this season.
  3. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,129 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I'm not disagreeing with you because you made some good points but we are going to have to make our hay in the draft, not only because it make philosophical sense but we just don't have the cap space for a lot of free agents. I like Kenny Phillips, but he can't stay on the field - sound familiar?

FA's are part of the equation but not the solution.
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,681 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    Not sure why people keep wanting to put Osi at SOLB. He's a 4-3 DE. Maybe if we went to a 4-3. Plus, the guy's on the wrong side of 30.
  5. dstone2962

dstone2962 Member

80 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Why is the solution to the team in getting free agents who aren't wanted by their original teams enough to keep around in the first place?
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,276 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Who plays RT? Also I think Spencer is a must to resign.

MY FA this offseason are
    Terrence Knighton
    Smmaie Lee Hill
    Desmond Bryant
    Matt Slauson
    resign Spencer

Safety and RT are either early draft or get a big name in FA.

Safety: Dashon Golhston, Jarius Byrd, Kenny Phillips

RT: Phil Loaadholt, Gosder Cheldrius, Brendon Albert
  7. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    You better do everything you need to do & bring in the best guard this offseason... ANDY LEVITRE is that man.. restructure deals and if any players save cap space do what you gotta do to get this kid in here... Draft d-line 1st round if the right player is available
  8. Falcon554

Falcon554 Well-Known Member

1,139 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    From what I have read they have very little cap space
  9. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

864 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    What are people's views on Shaun Phillips? I've always considered him a good pass rusher and good against the run(maybe I'm wrong) but he has the age that Spencer has but has performed throughout his career. Do you think he would be good for a year or two while Dallas does patch work on the offensive and defensive lines?
  10. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,403 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Whoever wrote that doesn't understand contracts. We will have plenty to sign Spencer and maybe one other big deal. Likely see a ton of mid range deals as well
  11. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,619 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    I'm saving this page on my bookmarks for when free agency comes, Phillips or Goldson one will be a good add just Phillips will be cheaper since he had a down year.