1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Free Agent Targets: RT

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 13, 2013.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Here is my list of Free Agents I would like to see Dallas bring in.

Right Tackle:
    Free will be released and I do not trust Parnell as the starter. I do not mind giving him a chance but if he fails we need someone else. I would rather us go draft here but since this post is for Free Agency, then I will list the OT free agents.

Jake Long: He will get paid big money and has been struggling with injuries the past few years. He will be 28 next year but I do not see Jerry going after him.

Gosder Cherilus: Played great for Detroit this year. Not much of a run blocker but a very good pass blocker. Will be 29 next year, and will warrant a fairly large contract. I would pass.

Phil Loadholt: Will be 27 next season, a massive massive man and a great run blocker. Just average at pass blocking and Vikings are in contract talks.

Sedastian Vollmer: Will be 29 next season and has back injuries the past few years. Great overall player in both the run and pass game. Only worry is his back.

Branden Albert:Will turn 29 during next years season. Fought injuries this year but when he played he was great in pass blocking and just above average in run blocking. Played LT and may want LT money. If Jerry is set with Smith at LT I do not seeing Albert as an option.

Ryan Clady: one of the best LT in the NFL, No way Denver lets him walk.

Andre Smith: Will be 26 this month, the youngest on the list. Had a great year according to PFF. Also went word for word with Ryan. Might be a real option now that Ryan is gone. At 6-4 he is alittle short to play OT but didn't have much of an issue this year. Bengals are on record saying he is their #1 priority this offseason so I doubt they let him walk.

I still think drafting a R in the 2nd would be the best move and let him and Parnell battle it out. Dallas Thomas would be a good pick. Can play OT and OG so if Parnell shows promise and plays good then Thomas can move to OG. If not Thomas can then step in and take over RT for years to come.
    its a win win.
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Parnell is going to be the guy at RT.

I hope they move Bernadeau to C and draft Warmack to play RG at #18.
  3. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,478 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    The team likes Parnell and wants to give him a shot.
  4. dwight

dwight Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    The team needs a back up plan.

The draft should be the back up plan. However, I think Dallas has only six picks.

So I think that they may pick up a cheap back up in free agency.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,947 Messages
    5,330 Likes Received
    I think that Parnell wins the job, but they need a legit 3rd guy.

If they're highly confident in Parnell, then it would be better to have a young developmental guy taking that roster spot; however, if they're not certain, then:

OT Will Svitek - Backup/Almost-Starter in Atlanta. Age 31.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,541 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Smith would be my choice from this list. Maybe Jerry will throw in a bra.
  7. supercowboy8

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    and I'm ok with that as I stated in my post. But we still need an option incase he fails. He only started one game this year. He played well rotating in and out but still wasn't great. I think going into next year with just parnell would be a problem and does not fix this OL.
  8. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

2,070 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    They don't need to waste money at tackle. This team needs a serious upgrade in the interior of the line. They should roll with Parnell.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,947 Messages
    5,330 Likes Received
    I think Andre Smith would make a dominant OG.
  10. supercowboy8

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    That doesn't fiix this OL at all then. Warmack at RG fine, but Bern at Center would be awful and Parnell who hasn't proven anything would be awful to.
    If we go Parnell at RT, fine but I'm just saying we need a guy who can come in and play RT if Parnell fails. thats why I mentioned Dallas Thomas or a player like him that can play either OG or OT.
  11. supercowboy8

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    and if Parnell fails then what. i have no confidence in Parnell. Hasn't played a complete game at RT yet.
    I like the idea of giving him a shot and not spending big money on a RT, but we will need to draft a player like Dallas Thomas or Brian Winters, who can play OG or OT.
  12. TheSport78

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Can't have Pro Bowlers at every position, brah.

And Bern is going to be horrible at center. How do you know this?
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,541 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Warmack would be a LG here wouldnt he? It is moot point anyway. The 4-3 killed that dream.
  14. supercowboy8

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I would hope so, but sport78 said RG so I went with it. Warmack could play either side.
  15. supercowboy8

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    He was horrible at OG and I don't see him as much of a upgrade over Cook if any. Bern played Center for one game this year and wasn't that good. I'm done with the guy and rather see him released.

never said I wanted a pro bowler at every position did I. I said I wanted to give Parnell a shot at RT but want to draft a guy that could step in and replace him if Parnell has issues and isn't the guy.
  16. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Your gonna get your backup RT plan late in the draft my friend. I'm thinking that forth or fifth round would be a good place.
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,541 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Only way I could see Warmack drafted now is if they planned to use him at Center as justification. BTW I think he could be dominant there. Unfortunately too many holes to fill on D that cant be filled with bondo.
  18. TheSport78

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I actually think Bernadeau got better as the year went on, and Livings seemed to regress. Just my opinion.

Better chance of Livings being released IMO. I thought Bern did a pretty good job at center on such short notice.
  19. supercowboy8

5,416 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    you might be right but that will be awful. Parnell better be good if this is the case. If he turns out as another Free then I also do not trust a 4th or 5th round OT to step in and replace him.
  20. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,662 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You should change your user I.D. name, to one and done.