1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Free Agent Targets: RT

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

2,115 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    You draft or find a cheap backup guy in free agencey. You dont go out a spend big money cor a backup. You might not be confident in him but then again you haven't seen him in practice or watched him develop. From the small sample size of his play this season is one thing you can say about Parnell is his elite physical tools for a lineman. He's almost up there with Tyron Smith in terms of athletic ability.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,502 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Well I'm not done with him because he had one game at center. I'm done with him because he played 15 bad games at OG.

Cook is a better Center.
  3. supercowboy8

5,502 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    I agree and I never said I wanted to spend big money on a RT. Look at the end of my OP. I said I want to draft a Dallas Thomas like player that can do either OT or OG and give Parnell a chance. I was just listing the free agent OTs for this offseason.
  4. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,783 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Hesitate to place a rookie at OG beside a young inexpeirience players such as Parnell. Would be a better place to have a vet, but it just might not be possible.
  5. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

729 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    Guys I hate to burst your bubble, but Free will be back
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I agree. We should be looking for a backup swing tackle, maybe a vet or a late round pick, UDFA, etc.

I do think the priority should be adding one good player to the interior. He doesn`t have to be All-Pro but preferably an upper echelon player. I wouldn`t mind if we drafted this guy in the late first (trade down) or second round but I don`t want to wait much longer as I`d prefer it if he were ready to play from day one.

I really think this may be our best lineup for next year:

Smith Livings Killer Costa or 2nd rounder Parnell

Backups: Bernardeau, Leary or Cook, draft pick, UDFA

It is a shame we lost Nagy but the kid just couldn`t stay healthy.

I still have high hopes for Killer based on his work as a rookie and I hope he can bounce back and win the Center spot this year now that he is healthy again.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,791 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    "can't have Pro Bowlers at every position" is code for

THEREFORE DO NOTHING AT ALL
  8. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I think it would be a bad move to WASTE a draft pick one

we got Free and Parnell

sorry guys we are drafting an OT
  9. supercowboy8

5,502 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Free will be released and all we have is parnell how would that be a waste
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Dallas shouldn't focus solely on LT, IMO.

They have a player who can play either so they should get the best bang for their buck regardless of what side he plays on.

This probably speaking more towards the draft because LTs will cost more in free agency.

But in free agency if the choices are pay a hefty sum for a very good RT or pay a reasonable sum for maybe an average LT, LT might be way to go. Tyron has shown he can be a very good RT if he stays on course. Ideal world he develops into that dominant of a player on the left side but even in a scenario where he switched back down the road you aren't that bad off because presumably he's going to improve.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Which might as well be saying, "we got nothing".

If Dallas doesn't bring in someone to play RT and goes with this combo again, it'll rank up there with one of the dumber things the team has done. Free was absolutely atrocious.
  12. supercowboy8

5,502 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    I agree with everything you just said
  13. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I agree. Given the needs elsewhere, I'd be a little surprised to see a day one or day two draft pick used at tackle, unless they really don't believe in Parnell. I'd rather see a day one/day two pick for the interior o-line. I'd guess we'll see a midrange or low price backup at tackle in FA.
  14. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I could see this. They may also keep Cook around as veteran insurance at RT (and about every other position along the line) if they take a developmental tackle late in the draft.
  15. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Never fear guys -- the Cowboys are loaded at backup RT.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,468 Messages
    2,366 Likes Received
    Warmack beside Parnell just might work.
    Jury is still out on Bernie at Center, but it's a possibilty.
    Are saying Livings at LG? That could be dicey too.
  17. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Remember cook has played some RT he will be part of the tackle backup plan and a backup option. I think they also add another cheap vet to that mix.

My guess is they draft a lineman in round 2 and we will have some camp battles going on.

Interior
    Killer
    Livings
    Bern
    Arkin
    Leary
    Costa
    Cook
    maybe a cheap vet

Tackles
    Cook (will be fighting for multiple spots)
    Parnell
    Smith
    cheap Vet

Then there will be a draft pick in here some where not sure if it will be in the interior or tackle taken but I guessing they are targeting round 2nd for linemen.
  18. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I'm with ya.

If they REALLY wanted to fix the OL ASAP, they would do this:

1. Cut Livings and sign Levitre to play LG

2. Cut Free and take your chances with Parnell at RT

3. Move Bernadeau to center and have him and Costa compete for the starting job

4. Draft Chance Warmack as your bluechip right guard