1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Free cars for poor fuel road rage

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, May 7, 2009.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Link

Free cars for poor fuel road rage
    By Hillary Chabot

Gov. Deval Patrick’s free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work.

But the program - fueled by a funding boost despite the state’s fiscal crash - allows those who end up back on welfare to keep the cars anyway.

“It’s mind-boggling. You’ve got people out there saying, ‘I just lost my job. Hey, can I get a free car, too?’ ” said House Minority Leader Brad Jones (R-North Reading).

The Patrick administration decided last month to funnel an additional $30,000 to the nearly $400,000 annual car ownership program.

The program, which is provided by the State Department of Transitional Assistance, gives out about 65 cars a year, said DTA Commissioner Julia Kehoe.

The state pays for the car’s insurance, inspection, excise tax, title, registration, repairs and a AAA membership for one year at a total cost of roughly $6,000 per car.

The program, which started in 2006, distributes cars donated by non-profit charities such as Good News Garage, a Lutheran charity, which also does the repair work on the car and bills the state.

Kehoe defended the program, saying the state breaks even by cutting welfare payments to the family - about $6,000 a year.

“If you look at the overall picture, this helps make sure people aren’t staying on cash assistance. It’s a relatively short payment for a long-term benefit,” Kehoe said.

But Kehoe admitted about 20 percent of those who received a car ended up back on welfare, and while they lose the insurance and other benefits, they don’t have to return the car.

“Given the state’s fiscal condition, paying for AAA and auto inspection costs is outrageous,” said Senate Minority Leader Richard Tisei (R-Wakefield). “There are so many families out there trying to deal with layoffs and pay cuts. You have to wonder what the state’s priorities are at this point.”

Applicants for cars must have a job or prove they could get one if they had the car in order to qualify. Once they have the wheels, they must send DTA their pay stubs to prove they are employed.

To get the cars, they must be unable to reach work by public transportation and have a clean driving record. The program is only available to families on welfare with children.

Kehoe said the bulk of cars go to places with less public transportation, such as Fitchburg, New Bedford and Lowell.

“I can’t believe there are no restrictions on how they use the car,” Jones said. “I just don’t see this as a core function of government.”
  2. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    This sounds like a pretty good program.......until you get to the part about state-funded insurance and repairs and AAA membership. If the state wants to facilitate the giving away of DONATED cars I think that's great, but at that point the recipient who has a job (as stipulated by the program) should be responsible for insurance and whatnot, or at least expect the recipient to pitch in if you are gonna do this.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    And this is the main reason people vote for democrats. They want others to pay their way for them and Democrats use this to buy their votes.
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Stop w/ the crazy give-aways.

Get off Welfare and help yourselves. Get some pride back into your lives. Do something for yourselves. Stop being that lazy arsed good for nothing that just has his/her hand out to the gov't all of the time.

I have to pay for everything I own and do. I am between a Barack and a hard place, but I get by.

I don't owe you

JACK SQUAT !!

Get out of my life and off my couch.

[IMG]
  5. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Who do you think will pay for these stimulus jobs and programs once the money is all dried up and gone? Do you honestly think states will continue funding them?

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Sheep.
  6. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    What the hell are you even talking about? Is there something wrong with the state GIVING AWAY CARS THAT WERE DONATED IN THE FIRST PLACE? If you had bothered to read my post you'd find that I don't particularly agree with this program. Or did you just see, "oh no that RINO DIAF posted ATTTACK ATTACCCKKKKK" (im betting it was the latter)
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Sounds like a good program to me, success rate seems high and the people it targets seem to be trying to get back on their feet (have jobs, must prove they have them and can't reach there with public transport, and also have children so they have incentive to follow through) and it only lasts a year. 80% of the people that take part get off welfare and the other 20% get kicked out of the program after a year anyway.

The only issue I see is the recession and how the program may put a strain on already stretched state funding.
  8. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,722 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    According to the Governor, the program breaks even due to the decreased amount of money spent on welfare for those people, though who really knows for sure.
  9. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Attack you? Ha! Thinking pretty high of yourself huh?

What I am saying is that there isn't an issue w/ the program initially until you start tieing in all of the AAA insurance etc for these cars.

I then went on to ask if you think that states would continue to fund these stimulus spurred programs once the monies are all dried up. Where do you think the state will get this extra money to bundle into these donated vehicles for up-keep and maintenece? It's all coming from DC.

So before you go batty on me. Do you think the states will still continue to fund these programs in say....2 years when the money is gone.

And really. Just because you aren't so well liked around here, there isn't a need to get all MEOW-PFFT-PFFT on folks for calling you on stuff.
  10. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,278 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Its a state program, I could careless about it. If it was a federal government program I would have issue.
  11. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received

Oh please. Then what was with your "sheep" comment? Calling me on what? What did I say that was out of agreement with you on this topic? You dont like what I say, so you went on the offensive. It would have helped though if you would have at least read what I posted. I didnt say anything about the money or where it came from, other than I don't think the state should be providing insurance/repairs/etc. but donating the cars is fine since the state isn't buying these cars and giving them away.

You might if it was your state.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    You know there are private groups that do this all the time. It is not the responsibility of the government to give you a car. That is the issue.

People fall for this garbage all the time because it sounds good. It feels nice.

If the Dems could not redistribute wealth they would never win another election. All they know how to do it take from one and give it to another in exchange for their vote.
  13. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure the State of Massachusetts takes some federal money. I'm sure the got their slice of the Obama Pork pie.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received

Who's talking about it being the government's responsibility? I don't remember a line of people demanding free cars from the government. They started the program and it's highly successful, it gets people off wellfare and it seems to break even because of that. It's a successful state-run program, by all accounts.
  15. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    If it not the responsibility of the government as you seem to agree, then they should not be doing it. I don't understand your point. Mass. is blowing $400,000 of tax payer money a year on this little give away. Of course the libs are going to say it's successful. Have you ever seen a giveaway program they didn't like? They also think social security and welfare is successful. Their standard for success based on the amount of votes purchased/gained with tax payer money.

I will say it again. There are thousands of non profit charities all over the country that do this without tax payer money.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    The program is for people already on welfare, they are already accepting state money. The program helps 80% of them get OFF welfare. You've got a problem with that?

Your argument is that they are lying? Based on what? Your vast personal knowledge of the program and its participants?

The requirements for the program are pretty clear and it seems to be going to low risk individuals with children depending on them, not to bums on the street, pan-handling or stealing. If you're for getting people off welfare, knowing welfare isn't going anywhere anytime soon, then you should see the benefit here.
  17. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    So you want me to pay for their home, car, school, food, medical bills and every other thing they can't handle. I got it. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
  18. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,061 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Sheesh, can they sell the car as soon as they get it ? I'd be curious.

Anyhow, my idea of welfare and I would agree with this if I was ever on welfare, is that these people should be working. What I mean to say is that people on Welfare could be put to work doing simple chores. Why pay them to sit home. Now if they were on welfare because of a medical condition or something along those lines, ok. The rest should be on the streets picking up trash, painting or doing something to help the community that is supporting them.

This might give them an incentive to get a job that pays more or have a better future.
  19. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    Yes, I want you to single-handedly pay for all that.

It gets them OFF welfare so you DON'T have to pay for those things. What's the problem?

These are donated cars, I doubt they'd even be able to get the $6,000 a year it costs the state, they aren't getting BMW's or anything and the checks they have to go through means they already have a job and have children, so selling their cars wouldn't exactly help them get to work to support their families and get off welfare.
  20. SkinsFan28

SkinsFan28 Active Member

1,015 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Let them drive Porsche's