1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Free practicing at...RG

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Aug 21, 2013.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,042 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    How is that any kind of solution? You've got an in-game emergency. Most teams in this league would be have a terrible time making that sort of adjustment. But honestly, what is your alternative here?

Your Smith-Leary-Fred-Waters-Free with Costa and Bernadeau as backups idea is pure genius. No backup Tackle dressed. Way to think out of the box!
  2. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Why not? You've got Free, Parnell and Costa playing guard. How is that any different? Oh, that's right, Free worked as a guard yesterday, therefore he can now play guard. Why don't they work Costa and Bernadeau at tackle today, then you've got two backup tackles now too! Wheeeee, isn't this fun? The whole point of this is that we don't have enough quality depth, simply throwing Free in as a guard for a practice or two isn't going to fix that. All you did is spell out the obvious, based on what the organization is doing with Free. Congratulations.
  3. AbeBeta

25,042 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    It is far easier for guys to move from T to G than G to T. You very rarely see college G's for example, play T in the NFL. You do, however, regularly see college Ts moving to G.
  4. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    If this is the solution, then it's no solution at all. Free ought to get his *** back to RT where it belongs and quit wasting time practicing at RG. It's not like Free has got the RT position mastered but hey, let's spend a few days watching him play a position we know he's no good at. Ridiculous. I'd rather he focus on RT and bring in a guard who is cut by another team then try to fit square pegs into round holes with our current players.
  5. AbeBeta

25,042 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    You have zero point here.

The team is practicing what it would do in an emergency. If you think that is stupid, there is really nothing more I can say. You shoulda learned something from Boy Scouts.
    Vintage likes this.
  6. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,394 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    I thought they were trying him out at guard but now he will play against the bengals at RG? I really dont think he is cut out to be a guard at all.
  7. AbeBeta

25,042 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    If this is the dress rehearsal game, I expect we are going to see how we would go if we had neither Livings or Leary in a regular season game.
  8. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,488 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    If free does well @ RG expect him to stay . We need the healthiest most dependable 5 guys out there . I'm one of the few that thinks free will be OK at OG . He had decent agility for pulling and trapping , he is smart and agile . His weakness is actually against speed rushers . With Frederick playing next to free they could crash block any DT with ease .

One more thing 2nd level blocking . A guard is asked to 2nd level block more than a OT. This is something I believe free does really well. He has quick feet .
  9. CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver Active Member

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I also about Free from a mental standpoint. He had to struggle with confidence last year and seemed to be have worked through it this year. Suddenly moving him to G could really backfire if he has issues there.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,097 Messages
    4,017 Likes Received
    I'm not sure why they're trying this out now, frankly. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that it might be something they'd actually use in anything but an absolute emergency situation. Arkin's playing ok as an injury replacement at OG, and he's healthy. Putting Free in just doubles your risk of getting one of your 3 OTs hurt. It also means you're playing Parnell more, who's gimpy right now. And then you're having to disrupt Free's rhythm at RT.

One thing's for sure, CIN is going to blitz the heck out of us. Maybe they don't want Arkin late on rotating over on a pickup? But is putting Doug Free there for the first time really a better solution? I'd rather see them start Orton, frankly I don't care to see Tony get reps that badly.

Or maybe this is just something they're doing in the public practice and not part of what they plan to do in a game. I don't know. I'm not concerned about it, one way or another, but there's just something about it that doesn't make sense.
  11. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,685 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    I'll admit if Dallas goes with a lineup of Smith-Bernadeau-Frederick-Free-Parnell or Smith-Leary-Frederick-Free-Parnell, I will be disappointed.

Instead of ponying up the money for a real guard to make up for the mistake it made last year, it means the Cowboys will try to fix their line problem "on the cheap" again, this time using what they've got instead of going after two never-was vets like they did last year.
  12. gimmesix

8,685 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    I think they are doing it now because they couldn't get Waters for what they were willing to pay. Now, they have to figure out a different way to form a starting lineup that doesn't include Arkin or Costa or any of the other spare parts, and probably to ultimately form a lineup that doesn't include Bernadeau (when Leary returns).

Although I feel Arkin has performed well (better than Bernadeau), Dallas doesn't seem to have any regular-season trust in him.
  13. gimmesix

8,685 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    I think he'll have trouble anchoring against big interior linemen on bull rushes. His height is an impediment for a player who has always had some strength issues.
  14. lwehlers

lwehlers Well-Known Member

1,042 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I do not see what the problem is at trying free at right guard. if he can play guard and parnell can man the right tackle then great. I do not see frees height being that much of a problem. davis played right guard for us and he was 6-6 or 6-7. if it does not work the cowboys to go back to free at tackle. I think it is worth a shot. leary or livings will start at left guard when they are healthy.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,097 Messages
    4,017 Likes Received
    Yuck. You're getting Leary back, soon enough. And then there's cutdowns coming for a backup with some starting experience if you really want one. Right now, what happens if one of the 3 OTs you're playing on the line gets hurt? Weems? Bell? Yuck.
  16. Pessimist_cowboy

1,488 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    what makes all of you so confident in leary ? the guy has a lifetime knee injury. I havent been impressed he was starting by default ( livings, berne injured/ suck , arkin sucked)
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,367 Messages
    2,931 Likes Received
    He's looked really good so far to the point he has earned a starting job.
  18. Pessimist_cowboy

1,488 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    the guy has a dead leg . its not going to happen . He has been average at best ... starting by default....
  19. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    I finally got the chance to watch the Arizona game tonight (this Time Warner/CBS feud has been a pain in the butt...I finally got a replay on the NFL network dvr'd today). Just a couple of very late observations on the guard play:

I thought Berny looked better, and Arkin worse, than I was expecting to see after reading the writers and zoners reports on the game. Bern had a bad first series - I counted two negative plays on the series (which I think was six plays and a punt), and one other that could have been called negative. He got beaten badly on a backside block on a stretch play and his guy made the tackle for no gain, and he got pushed back into Romo on a pass protection. But after that, through the first series of the third quarter, I had no notes of any negative plays. He looked pretty solid in pass pro, held his ground and anchored well, and did his job on the few runs we attempted.

I was curious about watching Arkin, since Broaddus and Vela had good things to say about him, he got pretty good reviews here on the zone...but Garrett wasn't exactly complimentary about him in his comments. He said something like "we saw some of the same issues we've been seeing". So I watched him play by play. I didn't see any of the strength problems. But he looked slow on two stunt handoffs with Smith. He got the corner turned on him on a couple of pass plays. He was late picking up a linebacker on a screen - granted, the lb made a good quick read and blew up the screen to Witten, but Arkin didn't get over to cut him off (this was the play that Smith got called for holding on Campbell, I think the second offensive series). He let his guy get across his face and beat on a stretch play, and his guy forced the rb wide into other defenders.

He had some nice plays. He turned his guy (I think Campbell) and he and Fred created a beautiful hole on Murray's nice run on the first possession. But I thought he was missing in some of the areas that should be strengths of his - quickness, and blocking on the move. Granted, I was being picky with him. I like the guy and root for him, so maybe I'm being too picky to not be biased in his favor. But I'd put him behind Bern at this point. I think either he or Bern could be okay, like I said a couple of weeks ago, as the weakest link on a good line. But I think right now, based on the past two games, he is more of a marginal starter than Bern.

One play stood out to me that was worth pointing out, involving Arkin and Fred. Several here have pointed out Arkin seeming to be slow on a stunt handoff with Smith and getting beat inside on a sack of Tanney in the second half. The same thing happened in the first half, but he was bailed out by Fred. It was the first play of the second quarter. Romo back to pass, Arkin and Smith's guys stunt, and Arkin was slow to hand off and cut off the inside stunter. But Fred was all over it. At the snap he immediately helped Bernardeau with his guy, just put his right hand on the tackle, and while helping Bern, heimmediately had his head turned left to see the stunt coming. He moved over and cut off the guy cutting inside Arkin. Romo might have gotten the ball off anyway, but it could have been a qb hit. I mention this because it was a really nice head-on-a-swivel awareness by that multi-tasking engineer of a center we picked up somewhere this offseason.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,463 Messages
    2,806 Likes Received
    Much has been made about his confidence and I'd be surprised if he didn't get dinged up a little. Most of his problems were related to not buying into Callahan's blocking scheme and inconsistent technique.
    People keep saying his condition is chronic and will eventually run him out of the game. Maybe but odds are good that it won't. I would like to know what the arthroscopy looked like on that knee.