1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Free Safety Question?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TrueBeliever007, Mar 1, 2011.

1. TrueBeliever007

TrueBeliever007 Member

224 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lets say we do draft a free safety, what happens to AOA. Do we move him to CB or what?
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,305 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    Very likely he could be our 4th CB with Alan Ball not returning. He can also just be depth, too. You need more than 1 FS on the team ;)
  3. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    sure. You do whatever you want with him because in the end he was a gamble of a 4th round pick and if he develops into a real contributor it's a huge gain, if he doesn't, it's not that big of a deal.
  4. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

AOA is a project. One I hope pans out, but lets be real here. He's a 4th rd pick from a small school.

His draft status alone will have no impact on our near term plans. Especially since he had little to no chance to show the team what he could do in 2010.

Either way, I see FS and SS as somewhat interchangable. Or at least think they should be. AOA could back up or perhaps eventually start at either spot.
  5. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    **In before the poster Rash gets here**

Seriously though, he's a project, like mentioned. He'll get his opportunities on special teams. His best shot, however, will be as a kick returner. I don't know if Dallas wants to put Dez back there on kickoff returns (too risky) so there should be a competition for that second KO returner spot, assuming McCann is listed as the other one.
  6. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,600 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    AOA was working out at SS toward the end of last year before getting hurt.
  7. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,900 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    Who's to say AOA couldn't start with any safety we draft anyway? The safety positions are often interchangable now.

That being said, AOA is still a year or two away from contributing at best. Hope he makes it, but starting AOA may make you think Ball is a standout in comparision.
  8. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

321 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I think Jerry is hoping that Patrick Peterson or Amukamara falls to us. Either of these players can start their career at FS. This would allow AOA another year to develop. One of the above mentioned players can take over when Newman leaves. Remember, Jerry wants someone that is selected with our first pick, to have an impact.