1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Friends abroad... some long-lost...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ThaBigP, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The only reason I figured this might belong in the "political" section is what prompted me to do some searching in the first place. I had several friends growing up whose parents had fled the Iron Curtain and moved to the US. As a result, I had the joy of growing up and/or going to school at least for some time, with them. After the fall of the Soviet Union and the subsequent collapse of the Iron Curtain, many of them presumably moved back to their home countries. I did some Google'ing on names, and actually came across one. Her name was Marta, and towards the end of High School had mentioned that she would likely return to Poland if things went well over there and the situation allowed her to return. And return she did, apparently. And doing quite well.

Here's just a small list of her accomplishments since we graduated in '91 and she returned to her beloved Poland:

London School of Economics:
    PhD (Econ) - International Political Economy
    MPhil - International Relations
    MSc (Econ) - International Relations
    British Chevening Scholar; Fellow of Goodenough College
    Jagiellonian University, Krakow
    Centre for European Studies - seminars and fieldwork for PhD thesis
    Kosciuszko Foundation Scholar
    Jagiellonian University,
    School of Central & Eastern European Studies Diploma
    University of Texas, Austin, TX
    Bachelor of Arts - Soviet and East European Studies, minor - Philosophy
    Highest Honours, Magna Cum Laude.

Positions held:
    Present - Independent Consultant and Project Coordinator, Krakow and abroad
    Investment, regulatory, economic and international relations consulting and project management.
    European Commission, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, Brussels International affairs and control of European Union community customs legislation; tariff economics and classification
    European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium
    Policy adviser and head of political strategy team for newly elected Polish Member of European Parliament.
    Bertelsmann AG, Brussels, Belgium
    Contracted consultant - government affairs; commercial, regulatory, media policies and legislation; economics of EU/ new accession countries.
    Jagiellonian University, Centre for European Studies, Krakow
    Contracted lecturer in self-created course on EU Government, Law and Policy .
    Natolin European Centre, College of Europe, Natolin, Warsaw
    Expert in team project on cost/ benefit analysis of Poland 's accession to the European Union.
    Ministry for European Integration, Warsaw
    Political Adviser to the Secretary of State for European Affairs, J. Saryusz-Wolski.
    Guest lecturer at Warsaw University, Centre for Europe

I knew for a fact, without any confirmation, that several of my friends were now probably entangled in the mess going on in Eastern Europe among the former Soviet-block republics. Now I have confirmation of at least one. I would e-mail her (I have that information now due to my search), but I feel like such a shmoe e-mailing a policy advisor to Poland's reps in the EU...just damn. At least I still have a picture of her from a high-school party, complete with '80s spikey hair, being soaked by a friend of mine with a vegatable sprayer, her spandex-clad bottom soaking wet. Yes, I really do. I may e-mail that to her just to see if she responds.

The real point of this is, does anybody else have friends (even if long-lost) over there? And what about reaching out to them? Even if they aren't a former member (I'm assuming former, she may currently be) of the European Parliament?