1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FSS: McCann has that itch for football

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jun 27, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    McCann has that itch for football
    By Jon Machota
    FOXSportsSouthwest.com Special Contributor

rss
    http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=535413&feedID=4680
    June 27, 2011

Cowboys cornerback Bryan McCann is anxious for a return to the football field. The SMU product saw action in nine games as a rookie last season and feels he will be much improved with a year under his belt.

"I'm ready to get back out on the field," he said Saturday. "Ever since you've been in high school, even when you weren't in season, you still had your offseason, spring ball workouts, and we were deprived of that this year. This is the longest I've gone without football since high school, so I'm getting that itch."
  2. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,822 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Or he can feel the fire. He is a guy that needs as much camp as he can get.
  3. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,996 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I like this kid. He has a knack for making plays.

[youtube]DNIrTzJmPGY[/youtube]

[youtube]FoH5CjStrQc[/youtube]
  4. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,277 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    I like McCann! Who knows, maybe he shows some things this season and he becomes a guy you just can't get off the field. We'll see.
  5. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Dude is a playmaker.
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think people make an awful big deal about a guy over TWO plays. Hell, Eli threw the ball right to him.
  7. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because he did his homework and put himself in position to make an easy interception. And it was more than two plays. Don't forget the Washington game where he put our offense in awesome position numerous times with his return skills. To bad our offense couldn't score more points with the advantage he gave them.

McCann is a guy to look out for. He has great potential.
  8. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,996 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Those where two plays that helped us win both games. You may underplay the significance of those plays, but he put himself in position on both of them. Going against Nicks, he took advantage of his film study, read the play, and not only intercepted the ball (some would've just dropped it) but took it to the house.

The second one, most players would have been content to let the Lions down it inside the 20, but he seized the opportunity, knowing he had nothing to lose,and scored yet another game changing touchdown. I don't know about you, but those are the kind of players I want on the roster.

EDIT:

And Eli didn't just throw him the ball. If you watch the first clip closely, you see that he had his eyes solely on Nicks. When he figured out what route he was running, he then made the jump to the inside, beating Nicks to it. It wasn't until after that that he looked for the ball, and there it was.
  9. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,600 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I love the video of his INT. Brandon Jacobs get so mad when Brooking blocks him!
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    :laugh2: That and Joe Buck sounds like his dog just died and he's about to go into serious depression.

Fwiw, I don't think those two touchdowns are all that impressive - big plays, yes, but a lot of things went right other than what he did to allow those plays to happen, particularly on the INT.

On that pick he jumped the slant and Nicks stopped his route, a nice play, but Eli didn't read it and made a poor throw. And on the PR, I'd be real mad if I was a coach and he made that play. Yea it worked out but 99 times out of 100 it doesn't and it's attempting to make those kinds of plays that cost you games. I know it's hard for fans to do so, but you have to evaluate the play, not the result.
  11. BubbleScreen

BubbleScreen Member

829 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    For a rookie, those were two awesome plays. Lots of first round corners never turn in plays like that. Newman only has four or five more highlight reel plays and he's played a lot longer. He's a heady player and as long as he continues to improve the team should find a place for him somewhere.
  12. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You wanna tell me what could have gone wrong on that play?

As far as the interception goes. Wanna take a stab at the % of ints that result from a play like that? I'll give ya a hint. More of em happen that way than not.
  13. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,750 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    You can't teach speed.

McCann has it.
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    What could have gone wrong? What could have gone wrong if we threw a 1 yard pass to Choice on the last play of the first half against the Redskins? That's a very risky play.

I understand lots of INTs happen that way...but I'll say the same thing every time :laugh2: It's why I think INTs are a ridiculously overrated stat for the most part. Usually it's about being right place right time.
  15. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,996 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    How so? The Lions player touched it first, so it doesn't matter if McCann fumbled, the Cowboys would still get the ball back. There is zero risk involved. It is in essence a free play, and he took advantage of it.