1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FSSW: Cowboys roster projection - Version 2.0

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,691 Messages
    792 Likes Received
    Cowboys roster projection - Version 2.0
    by Bob Sturm

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...g_cowboys.html?blockID=780141&feedID=4679

The NFL released another run down of their important dates on Wednesday, reminding us when the most important dates are on the calendar. Those of us with a case of myopia will focus mostly on the upcoming cutdown dates and plan accordingly to get our local NFL teams down to the required roster sizes. Here are the three dates that are top of mind:

August 27 - Clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 75 players on Active List prior to 4 p.m., New York time.

August 31 - Roster cut-down to maximum of 53 players on Active/Inactive List prior to 9 p.m., New York time. Clubs may dress minimum of 43 and maximum of 46 players for each regular season and postseason game.

September 1 - Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12 p.m., New York time.

Beginning at 12 p.m., New York time, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player Active List for less than nine regular season games during each of any Accrued Seasons. A player cannot participate on the Practice Squad for more than three seasons...
  2. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,551 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    Seems like he has both CB Jenkins and OL Kowalski making the 53. I suspect both may start the season on the PUP which opens up two more spaces for at least the first 6 weeks (do the PUP players count on the 53 man roster?)

If they don't count and are on PUP, then Beasley and probably Dockery or McQuistan make the team.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    There will be some cliff-diving my some media and fans if this happens. Lol
    No need to elaborate, but the 533 threads dedicated to one unproven player should give us a hint of possible ruege. I think Strum is close, but may miss on 2-3 players
  4. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Why does the title say DC.com?
  5. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,226 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    he keeps loper but cuts beasley? this guy is a moron.
  6. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Beasley definitely makes the team. Holmes and Otree possibly not.
  7. ndanger

ndanger Active Member

2,298 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    From my untrained eyes I see Beasley as a receiver type that we have been sorely missing. Me I'm keeping this kid on my team one way or another.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,354 Messages
    1,860 Likes Received
    I think Beasley makes it too but there are few writers more knowledgable than this guy...normally
  9. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Um, what?
  10. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,167 Messages
    3,154 Likes Received
    KK is likely going on IR and not reg season PUP. Jenkins is going to have to come off preseason PUP in order not to be lost for at least six weeks. Do I have that right?
  11. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,656 Messages
    325 Likes Received
    BEASLEY IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE:lmao:
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I'd cut Leary before I cut Beasley
  13. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,333 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I think Beasley is definitely on the team. It may be at the expense of Holmes. I think one of either Holmes or Coale may make the team, but not both.

We will go longer at linebacker than usual, especially if Wilbur doesn't count on the 53 man roster if he is on pup. I also think Jenkins may go on the pup list. That is going to free up two roster spots. Ratliff may also be pup'ed if he is going to be out for 4 to 6 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

No way we carry 3 QB's this year.

I don't care if the keep LP or go with the youngster, but it would be nice to save the cap space, and if the new guy does it for several years, he effectively saves a lot of cap room over several seasons.
  14. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    I certainly understand where you're coming from but I'm not so sure. I'm going to go out on a limb and say we DO keep three QBs and that the third will be McGee. The team has spent so much time and effort on him and he in turn has become so familiar with how this team operates that simply giving him up is far more difficult than you might imagine. He plays the most valuable position and one in which backups come into play quite often. Do you really the team is going to lose all the time and energy they've invested, all the experience he has running this offense, for a guy like Coale or Holmes? I sure don't.

I say we're keeping McGee and BOTH Coale and Holmes are gone, possibly replaced by a single receiver who was a casualty from another team.
  15. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,085 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    I agree on Beasley but Ogletree is on the team. He has played really well except the one drop. If they had let him go last year it would have been understandable but this year he actually has shown he can play.