1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FSSW: Sapp: Cowboys still 'not a playoff team'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 9, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,088 Messages
    5,640 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota
    FOXSportsSouthwest.com Special Contributor

May 7, 2012
    Warren Sapp continues to claim that he's been a Cowboys fan since he was a small child. Because of that and his outspoken nature, Sapp always seems to have something to say about the franchise that has missed the postseason the last two seasons.

Last week, during the NFL Network show Total Access , the seven-time Pro Bowl selection admitted that the Cowboys are headed in the right direction with the signing of free agent cornerback Brandon Carr and trading up to draft cornerback Morris Claiborne with the sixth overall pick last month. But he stopped short of saying the Cowboys fixed their problems on defense.

"Fix? No. Upgrade? They definitely did because Brandon Carr is definitely an upgrade and so is Claiborne, one of the better athletic corners that was coming out of the draft," Sapp said.

Read more: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...nding_cowboys.html?blockID=725106&feedID=4680
  2. roughneck266

roughneck266 Well-Known Member

2,016 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    I wish I could say I was suprised, but Sapp pretty much sounds like a broken record to me.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,558 Messages
    3,843 Likes Received
    I'd say the probabilities favor his being right although I fervently hope he is sooooo wrong. Stirring the pot.
  4. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,330 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    Warren Sapp... Still a deadbeat
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,649 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    and deadhead
  6. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,695 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    I don't see a playoff team either. No third receiver, still questions on the offensive and defensive lines, there's another issue on the team but I'll leave it at this.
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Sapp is looking for donations isn't he?
  8. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,909 Messages
    453 Likes Received
  9. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,005 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Dear Mr. Sapp,

In the last 9 games of the season, Tony Romo threw 20 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions. In those games, his completion percentage ranged from 61% to 88%.

If you know of a quarterback who played better "down the stretch" than Tony Romo, please name him.
  10. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,313 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Who wants to listen to this bankrupt bum, he should've went on Dr Phil too so he could cry about all the millions he threw away. I value Sapp's opinion about as much as I value Faulk's, man they gotta get some new guys on NFLN.
  11. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It really comes down to are we going to be better than the Giants or the Eagles. If not, then no playoffs.
  12. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,909 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    We should have won the division last year... Key words being should have.

But, I see no reason why we can't beat out both of those teams the NFCE has turnover at the top between us 3 all the time.
  13. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How dare you comment using statistical proof! Don't you know he works for the NFL Network, where they easily have a stats department that could provide him with this knowledge IF he felt it was necessary!

/end sarcasm
  14. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,677 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Maybe the OTAs, training camp, and coaches watching a lot of film can find the missing piece the Cowboys need to advance. The Super Bowl winners only won one more regular season game than Dallas, yet they are world beaters, and Dallas is full of question marks on both sides of the ball.

After a draft that many experts feel was a success for Dallas, and some free agent signings that were applauded again by the experts, it amazes me that so many fans feel the Cowboys are doomed again this year. And it is still early in May. Wait until late August rolls around, there won't be any optimism left.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    this team will go as far as the O line lets us
  16. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,109 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    let me push the repeat button (I've said this many times):

it's a team game--a good secondary will make the Dline better and a good running game makes the passing game better, etc. etc. if you improve in one area, you improve as a team. Will we make the playoffs, perhaps. are we to be good enough to make the playoffs. I think so. That is no guarantee--but we are a playoff caliber team and Sapp is no analyst. but he has done his job when he has Cowboy fans talking about what he said.
  17. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Sapp tend to look at things from a defensive line perspective. He feels dallas needs to be more of a force on the defensive front. Until he sees Dallas dominating those trenches he wont buy into the cowboys.
  18. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    The Cowboys are someone to talk about. Plain and simple. Sapp is a blow hard just like most former athletes turned announcers. But he is right, on paper we are third best in the NFC East. Eagles finished the year hot and improved their defense in FA and the draft. Giants finished hot and improved their running game through the draft.

All the teams improved on paper, but based on last year we were 0-4 against them, so until they prove they can beat the Eagles and Giants and not "should have" or "could have", you have to be logical about the Cowboys chances in 2012.

I think the Cowboys will play better but I don't think they make the playoffs. I think we are still a year away from really being contenders for the Super Bowl. Sure, no one knows how the season will play out, but on 10 May 2012 I think they finish 3rd in the NFC East.
  19. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    That and the DL.

Which is why devoting most offseason resources to the secondary makes little sense.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,922 Likes Received
    I'm not offended by Sapp opinion, he also had some positive things to say and in the end it is up to the Cowboys to step up and prove to everyone they are a playoff team.