1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FSSW: Sturm: Film Room Breakdown: Smith vs Pierre-Paul

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 13, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    September 13, 2012

Each week, we want to examine one crucial component of each Cowboys game and break it down with the new "All-22" game film that is available on NFL.com as part of their Game Rewind subscription.

It is an amazing resource for fans who have hoped for years to now have this information at their fingertips. It won't reveal everything, but it will offer us way more information than we have ever had before. With that in mind, I want to pick something from each game and break it down with some level of thoroughness. It could be one play or a sequence of them, or in this case, it is a key matchup in the game that helped determine the outcome.

This week, I wanted to take a snap-by-snap look at the Cowboys new left tackle, Tyron Smith, as he takes on one of his biggest tests. When you are a left tackle in the NFL, there are no easy match ups, but to return to the site of the final crime in 2011 - a place where Tony Romo was sacked 6 times and could have been sacked more - and the Super Bowl Champion, New York Giants.

As we are all aware, Jason Pierre Paul is already amongst the most fearsome sack machines in the NFL, and he has only played 2 seasons. Only 14 players have over 20 sacks since 2010, and Pierre-Paul is the youngest player on that list. It stands to reason that he might be on the verge of passing many on that list of 14 as he gains more NFL experience. He is already good at 23, but the football world wonders where he will be at the age of 25 or 26.

Read the rest: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...Paul/landing.html?blockID=789685&feedID=10194
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good stuff.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,232 Messages
    7,023 Likes Received
    Good stuff. It'll be fun to see how he holds up against that inside counter along with the wide-9 down the road when we get to PHI.
  4. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,317 Messages
    2,153 Likes Received
    I couldn't be more pleased with this draft pick. Smith qA n excellent selection and this will pay off for a decade.
  5. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    how can you say he was beaten to the outside on a draw up the middle? JPP faked inside and Smith overreacted because that's the only option he has to stop, since JPP then went outside, he just ran himself out of the play--Smith did exactly what he needed to do
  6. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

837 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    So Bob also is not worried about Mr. Smith.

Good to know!
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Real good stuff. Agree about that draw- I think Sturm missed that one on what was needed to be done. However outside of that cannot really disagree much.

The fact that Tyron got little help is really good; but on the other hand it seems that we were helping Free a lot. Not so good.

Tyron is so driven that he will look at this tape and probably think to himself he was not good at all. And then work like a maniac to do better. Will be very interesting to see what happens in Game 2 against the Giants.
  8. vaturkey

vaturkey Active Member

406 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    JPP is Lawrence Taylor part 2 with perhaps even more quickness and even more length. Smith will only get better, but no one can think that he (or any other tackle) will be able to handle JPP consistently. I think he did well and that is about as good as one can expect given his experience level and who he was matched up against.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    BS. Smith is every bit as good an athlete with the drive to excell. I see no reason he cannot reach the point where its at least a 50-50 draw.
  10. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Agreed. It's Smith's overreaction that makes people think he blew the play, but JPP went exactly where the play design needed him to go.

The article basically confirmed my take of the battle. Smith was seriously challenged, but did not break or give up a big negative play.

On the first Ogletree TD, it's JPP who ends up on the ground.

JPP played last week with a violence that made him look more impressive than he actually performed.

Thanks to Smith.
  11. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,324 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    Where is that thread from earlier this week when a lot of people said he played horrible?
  12. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Closest thing there has ever been to LT is Ware.
  13. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    No, he is not like LT at all.

LT was an OLB in a 3-4 so they played different positions and in different defensive alignments.

LT was 6-3 240 pounds whereas JPP is like 6-5 and 280 pounds.

LT ran a 4.4 40 yard dash whereas JPP is more like 4.7.

I think the closest thing to JPP from the past was Bruce Smith who was about the same size, same speed and same quickness. I don't think Bruce had that wingspan but otherwise they are quite comparable. I think Bruce is the NFL all-time leader in sacks so he was a very good player for many years in Buffalo.
  14. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,881 Messages
    1,829 Likes Received
    He held his own against one of the best pass rushers in the game, by himself, in his first ever start at LT. I think that says a lot. He is going to be great.
  15. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,115 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    For his first start at LT he did a respectable job... He'll only get better.
  17. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,383 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Tyron is still in his embryonic stage as far as his development at left tackle. Still, he acquited himself well for one having had such scant experience there. In all likelihood, additional time and experience at that spot will stand him in good stead. The false starts should become less of a problem down the road as his development continues and his confidence is fortified via better technique. He'll be fine.
  18. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,026 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    Early in his career Larry Allen got humiliated by an injured Reggie White.

Reggie White tossed him like 5 yards in the air with one arm.

After that game Larry owned White for the rest of his career.
  19. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Smith didn't play well. Sturm can minimize his negatives all he wants but the fact remains that he struggled against the Giants. Most of his problems were footwork related so there's a very good chance he improves as he gains experience at his new position but he still needs to improve.