1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: FSSW: Sturm: How well will Smith adjust to left tackle?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 31, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,701 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    How well will Smith adjust to left tackle?

by Bob Sturm

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...g_cowboys.html?blockID=768621&feedID=4679

As we spend two weeks at Cowboys Training Camp in Oxnard, California, I will continue doing the regular features on this very Cowboys-heavy blog (11 for '11 and Splash Plays), but now we will begin analyzing position battles and other more relevant training camp issues.

One I wanted to tackle was something that won't get near the ink of the fictional "window" of the Cowboys or the handling of Dez Bryant, but it is far more interesting to me than either of those well-discussed items.

That is, how well will the Cowboys tackle position be fortified with the flip-flopping of Tyron Smith from right to left tackle, and Doug Free going the opposite direction? How can a rookie hold up against the gauntlet of studs that will come his way on Romo's blind side, and just as important how will Free respond to having a very difficult year at left tackle in his first season under his new hefty contract?

Let's use this email as a jumping off point:

My question – Everyone raved about Tyron Smith last year and criticized Free. To me, it looked like Smith benefited from having Kosier next to him…..and Free was a little more lost without Kosier. Free had a good year with Kosier next to him in 2010. What do you think? Bob Woodyard...
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    doesn't anyone proof their work anymore.

Hey doofus Mr Bob Sturm

Guess what?

TYRON IS NOT A ROOKIE NOW
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    Darn good write up there Sturminator.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,638 Messages
    4,750 Likes Received
    As we spend two weeks at Cowboys Training Camp in Oxnard, California, I will continue doing the regular features on this very Cowboys-heavy blog (11 for '11 and Splash Plays), but now we will begin analyzing position battles and other more relevant training camp issues.

One I wanted to tackle was something that won't get near the ink of the fictional "window" of the Cowboys or the handling of Dez Bryant, but it is far more interesting to me than either of those well-discussed items.

That is, how well will the Cowboys tackle position be fortified with the flip-flopping of Tyron Smith from right to left tackle, and Doug Free going the opposite direction? How can a rookie hold up against the gauntlet of studs that will come his way on Romo's blind side, and just as important how will Free respond to having a very difficult year at left tackle in his first season under his new hefty contract?

Read more: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...ding_cowboys.html?blockID=768621&feedID=10194
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    I feel confident that Smith will be able to make the adjustment and I'm sure there will be bumps along the way, it is a pretty big move for a tackle. As for Free I like him on the right side and felt he did a very good job when he played there before. The key will be Smith making the move
  6. Doomsday101

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    He is a rookie at LT. It is a position he did not play in college or in year 1 of his NFL career. So while technically you are right he is somewhat in new territory as a player
  7. burmafrd

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    The only useage that is recognized is rookie as in FIRST YEAR of the NFL. I do not know why you are defending such sloppy reporting.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    That wasn't reporting, it was just a commentary really. And I respect Bob...I think he is one of the best media folks in the DFW area, with an incredible and varied knowledge of sports, so I overlooked his "rookie" error. But he would be the first to laugh at himself over the mistake if someone points it out to him.
  9. Doomsday101

76,235 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    I agree he is not a rookie only pointing out he is very inexperienced as a LT be it in college or pros. I'm not defending the reporting and as I said technically you are correct but this is about as close as a 2nd year player can get to being viewed by some as a rookie.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,497 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    He continues to try and use the Giants as evidence to support himself when the facts don't. The Giants have continually spent high draft picks on secondary and pass rushers but only spent a 2nd round pick on the starting OL that won last year(Their only quality player on that line).
  11. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,339 Messages
    322 Likes Received

WRONG!

The Giants OL last year,,,

Beatty - 2nd round
    Baas - 33rd pick (first pick of the second round)
    Snee - second round
    Brewer - 4th round
    Diehl - 5th round

the Cowboys have ONE quality pick slated to start this year

Livings- UNDRAFTED
    Bernadeau - 7th round
    Costa UNDRAFTED
    Smith- 1rst
    Free - 4th
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    These facts needed to come out. Sturm makes some good points about disagreeing with Jerry about building the team in the trenches. Risen Star should like the article. I know I agree with Strum.
  13. burmafrd

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    It has always amazed me how blase Jerruh is about building an O line when he played Guard in college.
  14. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,026 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Wasn't the Giants Oline statistically poor last year?
  15. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,339 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    It's mind boggling really,,, and being in the same division as the Giants he has had annual up-close and personal butt-kickings from an extremely successful team that is doing its level best to brand the recipe for success right on his arse. Somebody get that man a mirror!

a bunch of injuries and reshuffling of the positions didn't help,,, if they lose four starters then their o-line would look like our o-line,,,
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,497 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    :lmao: Beatty was not a starter he only filled in when their starter was injured. Baas was a free agent from SF, he is not a highly thought or highly paid player. Snee is their only very good player. Brewer is another backup who was not a high pick. Diehl is also not a high pick and is not highly thought of player. That is not a good line and was not built with high picks. Now try looking at their secondary, pass rushers, and wrs.

You lose.
  17. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,339 Messages
    322 Likes Received
    And there we have a bad example of how to own up for a "mistake",,,,
  18. nablives

nablives New Member

541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sturm is one of the few guys that actually puts some effort into his analyses. As usual, he provides an interesting read.
  19. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    I believe he'll have a few growing pains but he'll improve as camp and preseason goes by.
  20. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm gonna say that it will be very similar to last season. He'll get beat some early in the year when he sees things he's not real used to. He'll get better as the season goes along. Not really going out on a limb there, but there's no reason to think he's going to be horrible, and it's not really reasonable to expect perfection.