1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fujita Rips at Goodell

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by muck4doo, Oct 11, 2012.

1. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    "I'm pleased the Commissioner has finally acknowledged that I never participated in any so-called "bounty" program, as I've said for the past 7 months. However, his condescending tone was neither accurate nor productive. Additionally, I am now purportedly being suspended for failing to confront my former defensive coordinator for his inappropriate use of language. This seems like an extremely desperate attempt to punish me. I also think it sets a bad precedent when players can be disciplined for not challenging the behavior of their superiors. This is an absolute abuse of the power that's been afforded to the Commissioner.
    For me, the issue of player health & safety is personal. For the league and the Commissioner, it's about perception & liability.
    The Commissioner says he is disappointed in me. The truth is, I’m disappointed in him. His positions on player health and safety since a 2009 congressional hearing on concussions have been inconsistent at best. He failed to acknowledge a link between concussions & post-career brain disease, pushed for an 18-game regular season, committed to a full season of Thursday night games, has continually challenged players' rights to file workers compensation claims for on-the-job injuries, and he employed incompetent replacement officials for the start of the 2012 season. His actions or lack thereof are by the league’s own definition, “conduct detrimental”.
    My track record on the issue of player health & safety speaks for itself. And clearly, as I just listed, the Commissioner's does too."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...61166_2318206_360726130682376#f2cd14a6b93ed6a
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,301 Messages
    4,619 Likes Received
    Ouch. Agree with the punishments or not, that was a pretty good verbal/written beat down.
  3. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    If Roger had been wearing glasses, Fujita would have puctuated the comment by taking them off and stomping on them. The player safety issue is one where the League's response has been more like big tobacco than an an organization that wants to protect its' players.
  4. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The League doesn't care about player safety they're taking action because of lawsuits by former players.
  5. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,293 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Exactly
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,626 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Roger Robespierre must be hurting. The next time Fujita does anything remotely wrong in a game, he will bring the guilllotine down on him.
  7. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    If they did they'd do something about the block the Jets Olineman used to take out Cushing's knee. That was nothing but a dirty play although legal.
  8. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
  9. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,752 Messages
    10,047 Likes Received
    The problem really starts with players thinking it's their right to play in the league.
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,336 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    Both sides need a serious beatdown. Apparently the lockout wasn't enough of one for either side.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,859 Messages
    1,704 Likes Received
    I like Fujita but that is BS. There was a bounty system and any claims that he knew nothing about it is total BS. The WHOLE organization knew about it.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,891 Messages
    2,361 Likes Received
    you cant be serious about this stuff

the reality is that to make the sport truly safe, they would need players to be playing touch football, no one wants that

this is a collision sport where injuries will happen including very serious ones

players already have the mind set to 'take the other player out of the game'

when, on top of that, players go out to get extra money to intentionally hurt other players, that is not justifiable

i am no goodell fan but he is doing the best he can in this regard IMO

you have to send a strong message that has a preventive effect (as much as anything can)